Greeneville VS Dobyns-Bennett

udave56

What a great high school basketball game.

Duncan can stop with the excuses until he looks in the mirror...#1 he is quoted in the Johnson City paper, the Kingsport paper, and on tricitiessports.com lamenting the fact that he has no bench...D-B has 2000 kids and Greeneville only 800 and he doesn't have the size of bench that D-B does...well, D-B played 6 (SIX) people...#2 he is also quoted as saying the foul shots were the difference in the game...his players missed 9 free throws...another math lesson for him...D-B only shot 7 free throws and only hit 3...so free throws weren't the difference...#3 he said he had to play a kid on Sensabaugh who couldn't guard him (Duncan)...boy, that is some positive reinforcement for a player...but statistically, Coty only had one point...

Here are the differences in the game, in my opinion: Wiggins (6'7") was guarded the majority of the second half by Sylvester (5'10") and only had three buckets in the paint...?????...Gash (2) didn't get the 26 he had against Volunteer, he only had 6 (Throp did a good job on him)...Anderson (#44) is greatly under utilized...Wiggins was 10 of 27 from the field...and tired.

Great season for Greeneville, but the Green Devils didn't lose because D-B has more kids.

And as previously stated Malone should have been a force inside a few years ago, but coaching didn't put him there and D-B won that one, too...in fact, I think Coach Morgan has won three of four post season games against Greeneville.

Roll Tribe Roll

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Challenger @ Feb 28 2007 - 09:48 AM) 826392913[/snapback]Hey IMAC Fan , my e-mail is raderba@yahoo.com if you want to send me a not and let me know exactly what it is you don't like about my play-by-play.

I would rather he post it here, so we can all read it. Besides, what are you going to do.....trace his e-mail address and go egg his house /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(skunk @ Feb 28 2007 - 10:17 AM) 826392973[/snapback]Dobyns-Bennett only played SIX players, it doesn't matter that there are 1871 enrolled in the school...six played in the game...that is not what would be called a deep bench...

Roll Tribe Roll

Which is a whole other issue in and of itself. DB has more players on that team that could have contributed SOMETHING to the game last night. If nothing else, they have a couple more players that could have simply been inserted into the game to rest the starters. heck, all you have to do is take care of the ball and not turn it over. You don't have to worry about defense unless you are guarding Wiggins because nobody else is going to score.

But, I guess the strategy paid off, this time. Now, beat Science Hill. I guarantee that DB will need more than 6 people getting minutes in that one...

Sorry but Free Throws did decide this game. If Greeneville would have hit their free throws they would have won. No excuses from Billy D. Just stating the facts. Also a school that has 2000 students enrolled should have more athletes to choose from. Just like Science Hill. If you line up DB or Science Hill's five starter next to Greeneville's five starters who would you pick? It is obvious that those two schools have more athletes to choose from. But congratulations to DB and Science Hill. Represent East Tennessee well.

Not taking advantage of a mismatch to get a couple of easy baskets is not something that a coach should be applauded for.

If Duncan thinks it is best to play him on the perimeter there is no problem with that, but in a close regional game you are not doing him any favors by not exploiting all his talents or attributes.

I don't think that is neccessarily why they lost, but your argument has some holes.

What a game last night! Both teams played thier hearts out. Wiggins was every bit as good or better as advertised. He can score inside or out, which I agree I couldn't figure out why he wasn't get the ball in the post more. Justin Sylvester plays with the intensity of a senior. It's going to be scary how good he is going to be in two years. He still probably has a growth spurt. Great win DB. Now it's time to beat the Toppers, again.

QUOTE(skunk @ Feb 28 2007 - 10:10 AM) 826392961[/snapback]What a great high school basketball game.

Duncan can stop with the excuses until he looks in the mirror...#1 he is quoted in the Johnson City paper, the Kingsport paper, and on tricitiessports.com lamenting the fact that he has no bench...D-B has 2000 kids and Greeneville only 800 and he doesn't have the size of bench that D-B does...well, D-B played 6 (SIX) people...#2 he is also quoted as saying the foul shots were the difference in the game...his players missed 9 free throws...another math lesson for him...D-B only shot 7 free throws and only hit 3...so free throws weren't the difference...#3 he said he had to play a kid on Sensabaugh who couldn't guard him (Duncan)...boy, that is some positive reinforcement for a player...but statistically, Coty only had one point...

Here are the differences in the game, in my opinion: Wiggins (6'7") was guarded the majority of the second half by Sylvester (5'10") and only had three buckets in the paint...?????...Gash (2) didn't get the 26 he had against Volunteer, he only had 6 (Throp did a good job on him)...Anderson (#44) is greatly under utilized...Wiggins was 10 of 27 from the field...and tired.

Great season for Greeneville, but the Green Devils didn't lose because D-B has more kids.

And as previously stated Malone should have been a force inside a few years ago, but coaching didn't put him there and D-B won that one, too...in fact, I think Coach Morgan has won three of four post season games against Greeneville.

Roll Tribe Roll

Not only did Duncan seem to make excuses, he essentially blamed the last score on Wiggins saying he came out too far. By design on Duncan's part or Morgan's to bring Wiggins outside on defense, many times during the game Wiggins was not in the paint. When Wiggins was under, his shot blocking altered DB's shots. Both big men missed easy shots underneath in the first half. In the second half, Wiggins was not under opening easy shots for Williamson. Duncan's "persuasion" of the double foul may have cost his Devils the game. CS went to the bench and that is when DB battled back. At the time CS was trying too hard and missing shot after shot. Another trip down the court with no points may have been the end. As poorly as CS was shooting I would have liked JT or JS on the line at the end of the game.

DB has only played six people in their games for the last half of the season, so if Duncan wants to whine about us having a deeper bench, he might need to look that up. Whoever said we would have to use more than six people to beat The Hill must not have been up in Johnson City the night that we took it to em with six players.

Duncan needs to quit whining.

QUOTE(skunk @ Feb 28 2007 - 10:17 AM) 826392973[/snapback]Dobyns-Bennett only played SIX players, it doesn't matter that there are 1871 enrolled in the school...six played in the game...that is not what would be called a deep bench...

Roll Tribe Roll

Ok, so add that up DB has 1000 more kids than greeneville, just a little larger selection to find "SIX" players that are better than the SEVEN that Greeneville played. It was a great game and why can everybody not just say that instead of bashing Duncan because of his opinion, by the way you win over 700 games and you can question whoever you want whenever you want until you go to five state tournaments and win 700 games maybe you should shut your mouth. DB played a great game and the kid that hit the game-winner was hitting that shot all night, therefore HOW does he get THAT WIDE OPEN? And you people wanna talk about conditioning Greeneville played a trapping D almost the entire night while DB sat back in a zone for much of the game. Its a little easier on your condition when you play a zone rather than trapping. Greeneville played their hearts out and free throws were the difference in the game, If greeneville hits their free throws they win the game, bottom line regardless of how many free throws DB shot.

QUOTE(WaCoJaCo @ Feb 27 2007 - 03:52 PM) 826391988[/snapback]Yeah right..... Especially the team that Buck had at Hampton. The team that actually won a state championship. They were huge and could really jump out of the gym. Buck was a great coach, no mater what talent he ended up with. By the way, doesn't DB have a 6'7", a 6'6" player, a 6'1" player that can jump and a couple of great guards on this years Charlir Morgan team? I guess this team will do very well in this years state tournment with players like that.

Your post was about DB, not Hampton. Buck had more talent to work with, and yes his teams consisted of mostly one sport athletes. The teams he had that did well typically had talent enough to be D-1 players that not only signed with the big schools (USC< VANDY< WAKE