Temple in Trouble?

OLD PIRATE

3 thoughts: First, What was the Athletic Director's involvement in this? Not to excuse Dr. Pearson's mistakes, but she was a first year principle who should have been relying heavily on the expertise of her A.D. Either she didn't take advantage of his knowledge or he didn't have much to offer.

Second, Skogen's statement that he would have done something about the tuition but was too busy telling the administration the rules (paraphrase) was pathetic. He was just trying to weasel away from his own responsibility. I'm sure he is a godly man, but that was just a stupid thing to say.

I agree with the posts from other Temple's fans that if we screwed up we should pay the penalty, as much as it hurts. I still believe though that the school's administration is honest and would not intentionally break the rules. But apparently they have been careless with some details and have some tough lessons to be learned.

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like more whistling ????

You have a good point. I think the fact that the Admin was involved will be the most damaging part of the whole situation. The NCCAA calls it "Lack of Institutional Control". I also believe Coach Skogen and Coach Beard were simply telling the truth about what they told the Admin and what the Admin was doing or condoning. Since they seem to be spilling the beans then it will get worse before it gets better.

Old Pirate says think back a few years........................... another private school in Chatt HAD players that had tuition paid by supporters and recruited the middle schools heavy for athletes. They were giving assistance for FUTURE preachers. That practice was a model for the newer privates................ Old Pirate says HOPEFULLY the TSSAA will look closely at BOYD, SILVERDALE and others................ of course they'll say we are full of bunk and CONTINUE to be in denial.............................. Old Pirate, alone with any parent/fan feels for the kids who will pay for something they had nothing to do with. It is SAD that the christian schools are the ones that are cheating..............

The TSSAA should set an example with us if we are guilty of wrongdoing. And if we are guilty of wrongdoing then we need to set an example on how to take our punishment without whimpering and trying to blame others.

Obviously, I think we need to stand tall and take it like a man. The only thing that really tears me up about all this and I know you guys feel the same way, is what it means to the kids to vacate titles that they worked hard for and to not be eligible for any more titles for the next 1-2 years. Correct me if I am wrong, I do not know the rules very well, but if there is a probation period, it affects all the sports, right? Which means that what Scott may have done in the football program could affect basketball, baseball, etc. and that what Dr. Pearson may have done with the tuition issue, may rob us of a region football title and a state basketball title as well as the region and district titles.

By the way, I did not intend to be offensive in my earlier philosphizing ( ) and I appreciate you kind and gracious remarks.

Chastain is not the only quilty party here and in fact, Temple is doing their level best to make him the scapegoat. He may be quilty of thingss, but reread the stories, especially Mr. Skogen's and the principals comments.

You might also want to ask why and how this all came up.. You might also ask who might have benefitted if temple drops football.

It runs deeper and uglier than what has been printed.

Old Pirate says think back a few years........................... another private school in Chatt HAD players that had tuition paid by supporters and recruited the middle schools heavy for athletes. They were giving assistance for FUTURE preachers. That practice was a model for the newer privates................ Old Pirate says HOPEFULLY the TSSAA will look closely at BOYD, SILVERDALE and others................ of course they'll say we are full of bunk and CONTINUE to be in denial.............................. Old Pirate, alone with any parent/fan feels for the kids who will pay for something they had nothing to do with. It is SAD that the christian schools are the ones that are cheating..............

I like this post good job OLD PIRATE

And if the TSSAA does look closely at others schools, and they come away clean, you will still be in denial.

The TSSAA should set an example with us if we are guilty of wrongdoing. And if we are guilty of wrongdoing then we need to set an example on how to take our punishment without whimpering and trying to blame others.

Obviously, I think we need to stand tall and take it like a man. The only thing that really tears me up about all this and I know you guys feel the same way, is what it means to the kids to vacate titles that they worked hard for and to not be eligible for any more titles for the next 1-2 years. Correct me if I am wrong, I do not know the rules very well, but if there is a probation period, it affects all the sports, right? Which means that what Scott may have done in the football program could affect basketball, baseball, etc. and that what Dr. Pearson may have done with the tuition issue, may rob us of a region football title and a state basketball title as well as the region and district titles.

By the way, I did not intend to be offensive in my earlier philosphizing ( ) and I appreciate you kind and gracious remarks.

The issue of the Skogens not paying tuition will affect football and basketball since Seth played both. Some on here want to say that it was a trade off in the tuition with Coach Skogen because he coached football and basketball but you need to read what Ronnie Carter said. That they being TSSAA"have no choice but to follow the letter of the law."

Also I remember reading on here in the past Kelvin Skogen saing that he was a volunteer caoch and was not paid for his time. My question would be how could you be volunteer situation if you are trading out tuition. I say that because I don't see how the TSSAA can take that as an excuse that is why they will have to follow the letter of the law.

Do you have a vendetta against the new administration @ Temple? Where did Clayton Hunt go and why did he leave?

The issue of the Skogens not paying tuition will affect football and basketball since Seth played both. Some on here want to say that it was a trade off in the tuition with Coach Skogen because he coached football and basketball but you need to read what Ronnie Carter said. That they being TSSAA"have no choice but to follow the letter of the law."

Also I remember reading on here in the past Kelvin Skogen saing that he was a volunteer caoch and was not paid for his time. My question would be how could you be volunteer situation if you are trading out tuition. I say that because I don't see how the TSSAA can take that as an excuse that is why they will have to follow the letter of the law.

I am afraid that the paper likely did not catch the intent of what everyone said. Typically, I think, the head coaches are the only ones who are paid at Temple. Kevin was only the head coach of the basketball team this year. So, he may have been referring to the past when he said he had volunteered. I do not know at all what the situation was with him and Steve co-head coaching the football team but it sounds like he did not receive any compensation for the times he spent on the football field before this last season.

The TSSAA should follow the letter of the law but sometimes the letter of the law is not exactly as clear as we would like for it to be. Sometimes it is better in decision making to understand the spirit of the law. The spirit of the law was to avoid recruiting. It is obvious that there was no recruiting going on. It seems that there are different levels of punishment within the grasp of the TSSAA and the proper punishment here seems to be more of a warning.

As much I believe that Temple should stand up and take whatever punishment it has earned, the punishment needs to match the crime committed.