Temple in Trouble?

OLD PIRATE

I believe the Temple fans are in the politics stage of this event, DENIE EVERY THING AND MAKE ACCUSATIONS. I believe people on here would respect them more if they would just admit that there is a problem here. Some of them still act like the TSSAA is not even investigating Temple, that Stephen Hargis is just making these articles up.

Go back and read some posts. We've all admitted there's a problem. Some of us aren't ready to say our school is run by cheaters yet, but we know they've made some careless mistakes.

I think some of you people won't be satisfied until we Temple fans come on here sobbing like Jimmy Swaggart, saying our lives are ruined. Well, that's not going to happen. All of this junk is dissapointing and frustrating, but in the grand scheme of things we're just talking about a very small athletic department that's done some things wrong. Life goes on.

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuition and Financial Aid

Section 16. If tuition is charged, it must be paid by parent, bona fide guardian or other family member.

If a parent, guardian or other family member secures a loan for payment of tuition, it must remain an

obligation of the parents, guardian or other family member to repay the principle and interest in full with

no exceptions. Financial aid will be allowed under the following conditions:

1. Children of full-time faculty members may be given financial aid, but such students, if transfers,

shall be ineligible for 12 months in any sport in which they have an athletic record for the

previous or current year.

2. Financial aid may be awarded on the basis of need, but proof of such need must be filed in the

TSSAA office on forms approved by the Executive Director. In order to determine the basis for

need, all schools awarding financial aid shall use the School and Student Scholastic Service for

Financial Aid of Princeton, New Jersey. A committee consisting of School Heads from Division II

schools and one ex-officio, non-voting member from the Board of Control will meet and make

recommendations to the Board of Control on each student submitted. In addition, this committee

will collect information from schools regarding financial aid statistics, grant procedures, and the

overall financial aid program within the school. The Board of Control will then rule on all cases at

the August meeting. The Board of Control shall have authority to reject the basis for need for

students when in its opinion, or the opinion of the school committee, the amount of need stated

by School and Student Service for Financial Aid of Princeton, New Jersey, cannot be justified.

3. Any loan program, grant program, educational foundation or similar program that is established

and/or administered, in whole or in part, by a school or official of a school is considered financial

aid.

Schools shall remove any student from athletic eligibility whose accounts with the school are 60 days

overdue.

All records pertaining to financial aid or tuition assistance shall be open to TSSAA upon its request.

Each school shall be responsible for securing necessary authorization to allow TSSAA to review or

audit such records.

If the Chastain or Skogen tuition was over 60 days without being paid then they were ineligible. This means if any of these kids played then penalties will be assessed. It does not look negotiable or up to interpretation. Since it seems that lack of institutional control will be a major theme in the "prosecution" of the violations, I think that football, basketball, and possibly all teams will see a post season ban for multiple years in addition to fines, forfeitures, loss of titles, etc.

I believe the handbook says that the tuition must be paid by the parents.

The spirit of the rule is so that school A cannot hire a parttime coach to coach tiddly winks so that their stud football player can play at the school for free.

It is a technical issue. As many people have said... there should have been a check cut for skogen and then he paid his tuition. It is not a big issue but it IS a violation.

If a student is late more than 60 days on a bill, he is not eligible to play so yes, they due intrude on school policy.

You have to know the rules. I am not an AD nor a coach and I don't know all the rules but if I was, I would make sure I knew them and followed them.

Truthfully, yes and no. Temple getting caught and punished is a good thing. In the long run it will be good for Temple. I'm sure cheating is not something that is condoned by 99+% of the Temple faithful. I really do feel for the kids that will have to face the consequences of actions they had absolutely no responsibility for. Unfortunately Temple not only had people that didn't follow rules they had quite a few more who just kind of looked the other way. Not a very good example for the kids. It didn't have to happen.

Ditto

You can come on here with 10 pages not writing it out on paper is exactly why it is a violation whether they agreed or whatever the tssaa wants proof of anything and when you refused to report it or keep a paper trail it is lack of control and is worst then the school of jackson they fell behind and couldnt show proof.DENIAL,DENIAL,DENIAL

Farmboy, if you want people to have any clue what you're saying try using a comma here or there.

The Skogens' did not receive financial aid or free tuition.

No pay check, no withholding, no tuition bill, no written agreement or contract, no paper trail. IMO it will be ruled as financial aid

According to one poster's reference to U.S.J., if Scott refused to pay his bill, at what point was he technically late? does the TSSAA intrude into school policies so deep that they tell the administration when a kid's school bill has to be paid?

No but it tells them how long they can go without paying before an athlete is ineligibile. It is real clear and says

Schools shall remove any student from athletic eligibility whose accounts with the school are 60 days overdue.

If he didn't pay at all he was probably way over 60 days.

Temple is in big trouble. At the VERY LEAST Temple is going to have to dish out some serious cash. You seem to be affiliated with temple; do they have money to pay these violations? On top of that if they cancel the season thats $1,500 a game.

We've only got $675 left in the bank and we owe that to BALCO. I'd say we're screwed!

Another angle to look at when analyzing the tuition question. If Coach Skogen was going to receive $7,000 or $8,000 dollars for coaching football and basketball, would this amount be what is custumary and usual for what someone at a similiar school with a similiar student body and similiar pay scale also be getting paid. It might be that amount would sound right in a large public school but what about at Boyd, Grace, etc. From what I have heard, Temple doesn't pay much and this figure could be looked at.

You want a wild guess so here is mine. Skogen's tuition bill whether a mistake or intentional is a violation and was not self reported. TSSAA has no leeway on this. Read the by-laws. Same with Chastain. CSAS is open-shut case and was not self reported. TSSAA can investigate the Ridley-Larson-SE Whitfield 50 times if they want to, it's not like they were found innocent in a court of law. If this is all, and I don't believe it is, they forfeit all games (and resulting titles, awards) the Skogens and the Chastain kid played in last year, Football and BB, and they get at least a 1 year suspension for football, heavy fines and several years of probation. It could very well be worse just on these items. If more of them are proved to have occured it will definately be worse

Based on what I've read here and in the paper, this seems like a reasonable deal.

I think Ronnie Carter needs to stop talking to the paper until the investigation is over though.

Very fishy. If I was the A.D. I would not hire someone to be the next football head coach who refused to pay his bill.

That's a good point, hadn't looked at it that way. They want to blame Chastain for not paying his bill, but a few months ago they were willing to hire the same man even though he hadn't paid his bill.

Another angle to look at when analyzing the tuition question. If Coach Skogen was going to receive $7,000 or $8,000 dollars for coaching football and basketball, would this amount be what is custumary and usual for what someone at a similiar school with a similiar student body and similiar pay scale also be getting paid. It might be that amount would sound right in a large public school but what about at Boyd, Grace, etc. From what I have heard, Temple doesn't pay much and this figure could be looked at.

How much is tuition @ Temple?