TSSAA proposals on classification

Indian

Except public schools receive tax dollars to at least partially fund operating expenses and facilities.

Yes...I agree. There's not much spent here for athletic facilities and expenses. Most of the improvements we've made have been privately funded...or were paid for from athletic funds. That really wasn't the point I was making.

Balddude has said over and over that DI privates are non-profit. Publics essentially are too. That is all I was trying to say.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes...I agree. There's not much spent here for athletic facilities and expenses. Most of the improvements we've made have been privately funded...or were paid for from athletic funds. That really wasn't the point I was making.

Balddude has said over and over that DI privates are non-profit. Publics essentially are too. That is all I was trying to say.

And I agree with you. I would guess that some public schools set up a non-profit organization to handle donations for specific purposes like athletes.

I agree with this too...my point for preaching it is that some (eagle) on the boards keep talking about profits and money, not to show any disadvantage or advantage. It was a clarity issue more than anything...

I agree with this too...my point for preaching it is that some (eagle) on the boards keep talking about profits and money, not to show any disadvantage or advantage. It was a clarity issue more than anything...

Money helps in a big way is all I have been trying to say. Money for athletics in publics or privates come from donations and support from parents and the community. I can't speak for all public schools but our football program operates entirely on raised money. That tax money you keep bringing up all stays in the school (where it should).My point is just that the private school parents TYPICALLY have more money to give (unless you have players who can't afford your school on scholarship) and in most cases private schools are in a more urban community where they will have more to give as well. Money to buy practice equipment , upgrade fascilities , and fancy uni's that the kids want to be seen in makes a big difference , especially when a kid and his parents are choosing a school based on athletics. (which happens way more than it should)

Metro Public Schools get money for Coaching supplements ONLY. Any and all other expenses from equipment to field maintenance, security to officials and game workers are paid for strictly by gate and concession receipts and any money they can raise on their own.

It cracks me up that people think we have all of this money thrown at us for athletics. In Metro, we do not get SQUAT.

Metro Public Schools get money for Coaching supplements ONLY. Any and all other expenses from equipment to field maintenance, security to officials and game workers are paid for strictly by gate and concession receipts and any money they can raise on their own.

It cracks me up that people think we have all of this money thrown at us for athletics. In Metro, we do not get SQUAT.

Metro prefers to waste its money on horrible leadership salaries and paying for teachers to cover after hours Credit Recovery classes so they can give away credits for kids who are too lazy to do the work to begin with. Metro athletics, with the high level of coaching knowledge and experience and the equally high level of talent it has, has been totally devasted by the ignorace of it leadership.

All of these other posters do no know how good they have it by NOT being in Metro. Metro has the biggest handicap in the state.

Taken from today's Chattanooga Times/Free Press....

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/ma...options/?sports

Is it me, or was nothing new revealed?

Well, that's the first time I've read anything about 1A being divided into 2 classes in Proposal B, but everything else is the same.

I like proposal C better, but B would work well too. The travel would be cut back and basically a football/basketball district would be utilized in football more or less. There would at least be natural rivals in the mix instead of the closest 2A school you can find.

Well, that's the first time I've read anything about 1A being divided into 2 classes in Proposal B, but everything else is the same.

I like proposal C better, but B would work well too. The travel would be cut back and basically a football/basketball district would be utilized in football more or less. There would at least be natural rivals in the mix instead of the closest 2A school you can find.

That's not the way Plan B was explained in the TSSAA document. Hargis has 5A and 6A making up AAAA. There currently is no 6A. That's where the difference is. I like the plan B in the document better than what Hargis outlined.

B. Three-class plan is used for football district alignment with AAA being split

into two classes (5A/4A) and AA into two classes (3A/2A) for football playoff

purposes. Class A remains in one class for football due to the large number

of non-football playing schools.

In football (Class AAA) the top two teams from each district (16 districts)

would qualify for the playoffs for a total of 32 teams. The upper half (by

enrollment) of the schools in AAA would be 5A and the lower half would be

4A. The 32 teams finishing 1st and 2nd in each of the 16 districts would be

played in 4A and 5A. The remaining spots in each (4A & 5A) would be filled

with wild cards. There would be 32 teams in 5A and 32 teams in 4A for a

total of 64 in Class AAA. The playoff brackets would then be set. You would

follow the same procedure for AA (2A & 3A). The brackets would then be set

in the same manner as 2A football in 2007 (needs link).

Rationale: Places schools in the same districts in F, Bk, B, S??¦; decreases

travel for schools by using three-class plan rather than five; keeps five

football classes that have similar make-up to present plan.

That is from the TSSAA document > TSSAA Proposed Classification

Now here this...THIS IS JUST A RUMOR, but I heard from a very good source that all public schools will go into 3 classes, AAA, AA, A like they are now. Then during football season EACH class will split into 2 groups and we would have 6 state champs.

I think that's the way it's been headed all along. 1A splitting into is the only thing different, but it might push some smaller 1A schools to start a program.

Truly Proposal A never had a shot. Staying the same has not been an option.

Proposal C is too extreme. You think the multiplier upset some people? Rural/urban would not have been acceptable to the smaller 1A private schools like Nashville Christian that might find themselves playing the big metro public schools or the ABC powerhouses.

Proposal B is a nice compromise. I still think there would be some teams with losing records in the playoffs however. A 2A school that plays in a region with a bunch of 3A's might finish below 500 and still be in the top 2 2A schools in their region. I think that FB will then be in the same districts that are set for Basketball and Baseball which keeps the rivalries the same.

Example for 11AA:

Sycamore- AAA

Creekwood- AAA

Montgomery Central- AAA

Cheatham- AAA

Harpeth- AA

Fairview- AA

Waverly- AA

Stewart County- AA

There's still 4 teams per region going to the playoffs. The natural rivalry games are being played and mean something. Travel for football is the same as for every other sport. Currently the 3 Cheatham County schools are in 3 separate regions for football while they are in the same district for basketball and baseball which makes zero sense. They are going to schedule each other in football most years anyway. Three class groupings for regular season will save money and THAT'S why TSSAA will do it. They've struggled with the 5 class system since it's inception. Dividing public and private only made more problems.