Daniel Boone vs Dobyns-Bennett

BatmanDB

To be honest FormerBlazer,we need this game more than you do.Your on a fast track to the playoffs and we just need to get on any track right now.You have a fine team and I think we do to.Most of these kids have even heard stories of the old days and it will come down to X's and O's,I just want us to have more of them than you do.Roll Tribe and you guys have a safe trip over this week

We have no conference games won and you do. No one expects us to win...we have absolutely nothing to lose so...might as well go and show everyone what you have. With nothing to lose and a good team... it'll be a great game.

You have to beat out Central,Volunteer and Davy to get there.I don't see any trouble for you guys

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest FormerBlazer,we need this game more than you do.Your on a fast track to the playoffs and we just need to get on any track right now.You have a fine team and I think we do to.Most of these kids have even heard stories of the old days and it will come down to X's and O's,I just want us to have more of them than you do.Roll Tribe and you guys have a safe trip over this week

We have no conference games won and you do. No one expects us to win...we have absolutely nothing to lose so...might as well go and show everyone what you have. With nothing to lose and a good team... it'll be a great game.

You have to beat out Central,Volunteer and Davy to get there.I don't see any trouble for you guys

Nothing is ever a given, especially with Crockett. Volunteer has beat us 2 out of the last three times. Central...heck they are due.

Comp--thanks--I think. :D At least I'm an equal opportunity offender.

As far as this game goes, I'm afraid I tend to agree with Batman (yikes!--sorry Bat) that winning the game (and most of our remaining games as I think I've said before) will depend on establishing a credible threat of the pass. Unfortunately, I don't share his optimism about our ability to do that. I'd love for Roop to prove me wrong, but the only way I see us winning is by "protecting" him a la Jon Crompton and keeping his throws short and quick, and hoping a few of those and the run game (which Boone will surely be keying on) are successful enough when combined with a good defensive effort to gut out a close victory. I will be surprised if we win by more than a TD or so, and not surprised if we lose. From what I've seen so far (close your eyes Batman because I'm about to share an opinion that can be construed as negative :roflol:), we are simply down on talent compared to what we're used to. We still have some speed, but our speed for the most part lacks our normal size to go with it. And most importantly, our passing game is well below where it has been for the last several years. That forces us to ride CS way too much, and we simply don't have the horses to run it down a decent team's throat when they know it's coming. But we'll see what happens. The great thing about high school football is just when you think you have them pegged these kids can surprise you.

Oh and formerblazer I think the whole intimidation thing was being pushed by a South fan. It's always hard to tell in DB's threads who is saying what because there are always as many people posting who are fans of other schools as there are DB fans. You know what they say--loved, hated, but never ignored! :roflol:

Comp--thanks--I think. :D At least I'm an equal opportunity offender.

As far as this game goes, I'm afraid I tend to agree with Batman (yikes!--sorry Bat) that winning the game (and most of our remaining games as I think I've said before) will depend on establishing a credible threat of the pass. Unfortunately, I don't share his optimism about our ability to do that. I'd love for Roop to prove me wrong, but the only way I see us winning is by "protecting" him a la Jon Crompton and keeping his throws short and quick, and hoping a few of those and the run game (which Boone will surely be keying on) are successful enough when combined with a good defensive effort to gut out a close victory. I will be surprised if we win by more than a TD or so, and not surprised if we lose. From what I've seen so far (close your eyes Batman because I'm about to share an opinion that can be construed as negative :roflol:), we are simply down on talent compared to what we're used to. We still have some speed, but our speed for the most part lacks our normal size to go with it. And most importantly, our passing game is well below where it has been for the last several years. That forces us to ride CS way too much, and we simply don't have the horses to run it down a decent team's throat when they know it's coming. But we'll see what happens. The great thing about high school football is just when you think you have them pegged these kids can surprise you.

Oh and formerblazer I think the whole intimidation thing was being pushed by a South fan. It's always hard to tell in DB's threads who is saying what because there are always as many people posting who are fans of other schools as there are DB fans. You know what they say--loved, hated, but never ignored! :roflol:

Theres nothing wrong with giving an honest opinion that doesn't just throw a kid completly under the bus.I do think we can get it done and I believe David can prove he is a quality QB in this and the rest of the games.I thought he had a fine game at Farragut under fire from a great team.True,we don't have an Adams for him to throw to and very few highschools will ever have a reciever that good.There's no question that last years class was loaded more than most in recent years,but we never got tested the way we have this year and that's why I'm keeping the faith for this team.Roll Tribe

Theres nothing wrong with giving an honest opinion that doesn't just throw a kid completly under the bus.I do think we can get it done and I believe David can prove he is a quality QB in this and the rest of the games.I thought he had a fine game at Farragut under fire from a great team.True,we don't have an Adams for him to throw to and very few highschools will ever have a reciever that good.There's no question that last years class was loaded more than most in recent years,but we never got tested the way we have this year and that's why I'm keeping the faith for this team.Roll Tribe

Adams certainly had an unusual combination of size and speed, but he wasn't much bigger than Lamon (and wasn't as good either although he was very good). But putting those two aside as they are definitely not the norm physically, we are down at WR even when compared to our other "normal sized" receivers over the last several years. Think Hayes, C. Sensabaugh, both Throps, etc. I think the same is true at most other positions, in varying degrees. But as I said, we'll see. Some of these guys who haven't shown up much yet may break out--we sure need it!

Tribal, you've said some things that got under my skin before. You've said some things that were jabs. And you've said some things that were spot on. This is a good post. One of the few on this thread. It takes an Optimist to walk on at a D1 school after getting a D2 scholly and play scout for 3 years and then scholarship and become a starter. It takes a realist to be a sacrifice so that others can witness the price thereof and be motivated to pick up there cross and be counted. It takes a pecimist to say it's never going to go anywhere anyway so what's the use. It takes all 3 to create a champion. It seems the problem with this DB squad might be that it has no leadership. If it has leadership then it is not very effective.

Daniel Boone...why would you want to be referred to as DB? I mean TO is the one and only. TT is the one and only. The Spin Dr. is the one and only. (I had to throw that one in there.) So why would you want to take someone elses title? You are Boone...and that's all you will ever be...to the rest of us. If you want to be famous then make Daniel Boone famous.

If Daniel Boone had posessed 3 or 4 more skilled athletes in order to eliminate their 9 starters going both ways then they would have beaten South. They were right at the edge. But please, you did not play the real South. The St. is an awsome QB but he is (was) still devastated by the departure of Jake and all that surrounded it.

Gate City played a glimpse of the real South. Gate City would have pushed Boone to the limit. Heath Haden is the real deal. We have known that for 2 years...you will come to know that. His Frosh year he was labeled the "Next Curt Phillips". Is he better than the St.? No! Just different. They will break out this week and by October 2nd the St. will be piloting a Bullett train on steel rails. There is another team on steel rails and we have an appointment with them.

You people need to listen to Jack because he speaks volumes of what is wrong and how to fix it. You need Batman because he just won't give up. (just needs to reduce the sugar and add salt) And you need the naysayers because someone needs to get pieced off!

All in all HS football is supposed to be the time of their lives. The memories they will never relive. It has to be fun you know. I hope you have a good game against a Boone team that will give you plenty of competition.

Comp, let me first say I have seen a lot of posts by you and I have a measure of respect for you bud. That aside...

I worked in Kingsport for 9 years. I was a Boone boy and whenever I told them where I was from, all I heard was "Oh, the other DB" or from South "Oh, you all are terrible" . That always rubbed me the wrong way because it seemed like I never saw humility from the people I talked to. Whenever the Boone coaches (from WAY back in the day) talk about other teams, it was always with respect, it was always with a degree of caution, because they've seen it all. So I guess it always rubbed me the wrong way in how South and DB always referred to Boone. I have respect for DB and South because you guys have great programs, why should anyone ever over look you two?

My team stomped South into the ground by 50 points and never played DB. I personally have no fear of South or DB. On the other hand, the kids lately, we have South blowing out Boone the past 3 years, and the last time it was close was during that playoff game with Sky Hicks running the ball. One play better, South wins. This year, one play better, South wins. Respect it, we lost you won, congrats.

Yet somewhere along the way, it seems like the "Boone will always lose" rule has been ingrained into the minds of the Kingsport crowd. History states that this is true, with random wins here and there. Coach Greene marched down to DB a year Boone was supposed to be stomped and did a shut out against DB. I'm pretty sure that it was unexpected and Boone was overlooked, and what did they do.

The group of kids who are now Seniors didn't have a great Freshmen year, but they are the ones who decided to stick with it and you have those kids shinning. The Juniors are full of 3 sport kids who can do it all. The sophmore class has kids stepping up and getting to play. The group up there right now is used to winning. They hate to lose, they are competitive.

Do you honestly think they are going to say "Oh, DB is down, we got this easy" ?

It seems that some of the posts of DB are counting on Boone to say that or they are counting on intimidating Boone. The tribe walk is how you are going to win the game? And when this doesn't work will you actually play football? Tell me, as intimidating as it is to Boone to just walk into a turf field (they've all done that) and go to a place only 10 minutes from home (hmm...seems like Kingsport isn't that far away guys) why should they be intimidated. You are talking like these kids never leave Gray.

Tell me... what will you all do when you wake up on Saturday morning and the paper says "Boone beats DB" .... now how scary is that?

Former Blazer, as I re read my post I see the disrespect. Please, hear me out...South had winning years in the early 80's, 90's, and this decade since 2004. Otherwise we have been a doormat. 1999 was it when we did not win a game. Why is that? You if anyone know what I think. It's the coach. The freaking coach. The talent has always been there. You are Boone...and that's all you will ever be...to the rest of us. In another 5 years Daniel Boone or whatever the young people want to call it, will be the new DB...as it has been said by many. You have 75% of the new housing projects. Your census will rival Science Hill. The talent is coming in and this year is proof of it. I did not want my son to go to South because when he was in middle school South was a dead end. So I could have said, "You are South and that is all you will ever be" and it would have been with the flavor of loosers. With you what I should have said is, "you are who you are so be who you are instead to want to be someone else". I think in a few short years when South has been relegated to piecemeal by anexation will be about the time Daniel Boone comes to a head. Stacy Carter will make South a household name just in time for the death knell.

As far as this season is concerned, last week against Gate City was a reawakening. If you could have seen how we played against Knox West you would know what I mean. Gate City was every bit on par with Daniel Boone. We have just began to hit our stride.

I have spoken at length with Jeremy Jenkins and about the future of Daniel Boone athletics and he knows he is in the sweet spot. He told me they would battle for the conference this year. The premier team year after year in my sons Optimist days was Gray. In addition of course to his own Chargers.

Yes, I feel Boone will beat the Indians...maybe badly. I saw the scratching and clawing of a bunch of kids hungry for success when we came to your house. But your time is not yet. Patience my friend, because it is in the cards for you.

DB will regain their hunger...but I'm not sure it will be this week.

You post so very seldom. And usually with weighted words. You guard your reputation with respect. And that comes naturally. Some of us wear it on our shirt sleeves...mucas and all. We are heatherns. We are Rebels. Our time is here.