Maryville vs. White Station 6A State Championship

Red Rebels

I don't think anyone from Maryville Is chalking this up as a win yet . This Is a team that went from taking a pretty good whipping the first game of the year to improving every game to get to where they are now . Last year's Hillsboro loss is still too fresh on everyone's mind to be thinking about cruise control . Philip Juhlin , Buddy Jones , Dane McCoy , and all the other seniors have been great leaders for this very young team this year , and I don't think they're going to allow any letup now .

Excellunt points Pep..........That Hillsboro loss iz steal fresh and haz me mow-tee-vated fer this 'un.....Eye thank GQ will haiv 'em focused come Saturdee nite.......Ewe haiv two put Cody Harris inn that leadership group two.....He iz whut a Mairvul Red Rebel iz all abowt imo.......... :D

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going all the way back to the 5th week of the 2000 season, Maryville is 140-4. They don't "over look" anybody. We fans can say a lot of things, and usually do, about how much we believe that Maryville will win a particular game, and we fans can become over confident all we want to. The coaches and players keep everything focused on one game at a time, and their record proves it. Only two post season losses since 2000 confirms it as well. (They have won 46 post season games during this stretch.)

I can't believe Maryville is playing for a State title. Is this your first time doing this? You guys should have a second home stadium, and have it wherever the State Title game is. I went to the your semi-final game against Riverdale, wish i hadn't. You guys dominated them from the start with a 98 yard drive on your first series. Riverdale never had a chance. I think you guys will win, but please don't forget about last season! I thought last season you guys had a better team, and got beat in the big game. Your coaches are awsome, when you guys scrimaged Clinton this summer, I thought you guys might struggle a bit in 6A. But once again you guys rolled through everyone in 6A. Good luck in the game, I'm picking Maryville by 10 in a close game. Good luck to both teams!

I have to smile at the posters that are making Maryville a heavy favorite. I am sure WS is loaded or they wouldn't be in the state title game. Memphis is a talent laden community and to survive and advance from that area is no small feat. Maryville consists of a rag tag bunch with little athleticism and small in comparison to most 6 A teams. Their backfield is average at best. Buddy Jones runs hard and the sophomore, West, is a nice back but neither are dominant. Yes...their QB is very good and their receivers are sure handed and run good patterns but they are not going to burn you deep nor are they going to run over anybody. Their line is small in comparison with a 180 pound center and a 190 pound tackle that is a sophomore. You will see as many as four sophomores on the line at times with three starting.

Defensively Maryville is porous and subject to give up large numbers in the running game. Their defensive line has improved but still not stellar. Linebackers are young with average speed. Defensive backs are good and ball hawk very well. The defense competes at a high rate and plays great assignment ball. It will be interesting to see how well they are able to stop a talented WS team.

If Maryville executes and limits turnovers they will be hard to beat. If they have turnovers this game will be tough for them to win. To understand how far this team has come one would have had to be around at the beginning of the year when in scrimmages against Clinton, Red Bank, and DB they were handled and abused. Alcoa absolutely gutted Maryville the second half and after experiencing that game it is an upset to even consider this Maryville team would be playing for a 6 A championship. The coaching is outstanding but the kids have to make it happen and so far they have. Should be a great game!

I have to smile at the posters that are making Maryville a heavy favorite. I am sure WS is loaded or they wouldn't be in the state title game. Memphis is a talent laden community and to survive and advance from that area is no small feat. Maryville consists of a rag tag bunch with little athleticism and small in comparison to most 6 A teams. Their backfield is average at best. Buddy Jones runs hard and the sophomore, West, is a nice back but neither are dominant. Yes...their QB is very good and their receivers are sure handed and run good patterns but they are not going to burn you deep nor are they going to run over anybody. Their line is small in comparison with a 180 pound center and a 190 pound tackle that is a sophomore. You will see as many as four sophomores on the line at times with three starting.

Defensively Maryville is porous and subject to give up large numbers in the running game. Their defensive line has improved but still not stellar. Linebackers are young with average speed. Defensive backs are good and ball hawk very well. The defense competes at a high rate and plays great assignment ball. It will be interesting to see how well they are able to stop a talented WS team.

If Maryville executes and limits turnovers they will be hard to beat. If they have turnovers this game will be tough for them to win. To understand how far this team has come one would have had to be around at the beginning of the year when in scrimmages against Clinton, Red Bank, and DB they were handled and abused. Alcoa absolutely gutted Maryville the second half and after experiencing that game it is an upset to even consider this Maryville team would be playing for a 6 A championship. The coaching is outstanding but the kids have to make it happen and so far they have. Should be a great game!

I agree with everything you said but Maryville is on a roll and has something they want to prove. The players will come through in this game and I predict a 3 TD win. Those players, with help from the coaching staff will get it done on Saturday.

whitestationhelmet.gif

maryville-tn.gif

Cookeville is about 287 miles from the State Line in Memphis. Of course Memphis is pretty big. Not sure exactly where White Station is. I am more familiar with Orange Mound. I'm sure I'll learn about it this week.

LOL, White Station is not far from the "Mound". Memphis fans are a bit cocky, white White Station might beat up on Maryville in Basketball, they need to remember that this is football, and West TN has not dominiated much in the higher divisions. Mithcell fans were all over the site posting about winning state...now their at home. Maryville has not played a perfect season, but has had a better year than White Station. This game will not be much of a contest. You look at their schedule...its not impressive, Memphis fans think all their teams are great, but WS schedule is pretty bad. Their two losses were also butt kickings and I don't care if they were D2 schools, they were still beat up on. Andy by the way, 0-10 in 2001, really, Maryville was already racking up gold balls back then, welcome to the party, now please leave.

I doubt any of the posters on coacht have seen both teams play, so predictions on this game don't carry much weight (especially when they come from a disgruntled Ooltewaaaah fan...)

Good luck to both teams but lets finish this wild ride of a season off with a win Rebels!

I have. You guys are being too generous with your predictions; this game will not be close. I've seen 35-7 and 35-14. I'm going to make all of my Memphis people mad with this, but forget just scoring 35 points, Maryville will win by 35.

FIML:

None of the "Memphis people" are going to get mad at you for stating what you believe. You have made it well known that you think that the brand of high scholl football played in Memphis doesn't compare to that of middle and east Tennessee. You have made it painfully obvious that you have little respect for the level of coaching of said City of Memphis high school football coaches. Everyone who is familiar with you on this board wouldn't expect anything less from you.

No one is going to get mad at you for being yourself and stating what you think. That would be silly.

Well then keep on smiling MLREB becasue Maryville IS the favorite but I agree, this will be a very good game.

Congratulations to Anthony Hayes on winning the Mr. Football award. I'll be looking forward to seeing this young man Saturday night.

I must say that he's a good one and that I hope the new coaching staff at the University of Memphis recruits him and gets him to sign. He wasn't a known commodity in recruiting circles because last year he played TE and not QB. He has that TE mentality too ... it's evident when he plays. Tim Tebowish in attitude and demeanor. He's also pretty fast at 6'-2" and 225 lbs.