Maryville vs. Riverdale

Red Rebels

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since no buses this year no one has picked 'a place'. We are leaving at 11:00 with team and we are going to pick a place from the great list our Maryville people have given us on the way. Give me a call around 1:00 or 2:00 and I will tell ya what we decide.

ok...there are a few busses going though the cheerleaders are taking a bus and the band is but that one may be for football parents only but the cheerleaders are taking one and the cost is 30

Ok, to stir the pot a little.

When the TSSAA proposed their 'Z' plan I tried to convince them that it was ill-conceived because there was (and still is) no deterrent to schedule down to garner wins. Look at current system,

http://www.tssaa.org...rd.cfm?class=6A

In first tie-breakers, classification is not a factor.

The example I have always used is Lavergne in our district. I have suggested they schedule five 1A schools in the area to make sure they get five wins and then one district win may get them in. They beat 3A semifinalist CAK this year.

The plan I gave them a couple of years ago is a pretty simple one.

A win is worth 100 plus opponents number of wins.

Add or subtract 20 from that for every difference in class.

Regardless if you win or lose the game, multiple the opponents wins by 5.

If team is same class or higher, multiple wins of opponent by 2.

Regardless of the outcome of Friday's game, Riverdale has had a pretty amazing season. I suggested a story to Krueger about it and to research if anyone has done something similar.

If my system was in place this year, when the season ended, Maryville would have a score of 1230 and a 5-0 record against 6A competition

Mt Juliet would have a score of 1192 and a 5-0 record against 6A competition.

Whitehaven came in at 1146 and a 2-0 record against 5-A teams.

Riverdale? 1418 and a 8-0 record against 6A schools. The two non-6A teams are in the semifinals this week in 4A and 5A. More remarkable is that 9 of 10 teams on Riverdale's schedule made the playoffs and the one team that didn't was afore-mentioned Lavergne.

Before others get mad at me again :roflol: I am not posting this as a slam to others schedules or schools or as a statement that Riverdale is going to win.

Just thought I would share....

Whitehaven's opponents record was 58-42. Mt Juliet 43-57. Maryville 54-45 (William Blount only played 9 games?) Riverdale? 63-37 - Every team but one on Riverdale's schedule had a winning record. Maryville played 5 teams with winning records. Mt Juliet 4. Whitehaven 7. Again, regardless of how Riverdale does Friday, it is a remarkable year...

Now David....That is some pretty fancy ciphering you have there. I will need to have Stars take a look at that and check your goesintas first. It just seem like a pretty fancy formula to prove you have the toughest schedule. Remember....still no gold balls for toughest schedule. Just helping you stir that pot...lol :popcorneater:

By your plan, we would be penalized for playing Alcoa because they are lower classification, that would be a shame. They were the toughest team we faced last year...IMO. Would it be right to lose that rivalry because they are in a lower classification?

Now David....That is some pretty fancy ciphering you have there. I will need to have Stars take a look at that and check your goesintas first. It just seem like a pretty fancy formula to prove you have the toughest schedule. Remember....still no gold balls for toughest schedule. Just helping you stir that pot...lol :popcorneater:

By your plan, we would be penalized for playing Alcoa because they are lower classification, that would be a shame. They were the toughest team we faced last year...IMO. Would it be right to lose that rivalry because they are in a lower classification?

Good comments. Please keep in mind I came up with this plan over three years ago, when the 'Z-plan' was being discussed. I didn't just create it to convince people Riverdale played a tough schedule this year. Krueger will vouch for me there. During the first year of the Z-plan I gave the TSSAA the program to calculate the numbers. I didn't develop them to 'punish' anyone but to make the seeding process and who gets in or out more equitable. You can still play Alcoa and we can still play the Maplewoods and Hendersonvilles. I count the wins regardless of classification for that reason. But don't schedule 3 or 4 1A or 2A teams that go 0-10 or 2-8. See what I mean? Bottom line, if you win, you get rewarded.

Good comments. Please keep in mind I came up with this plan over three years ago, when the 'Z-plan' was being discussed. I didn't just create it to convince people Riverdale played a tough schedule this year. Krueger will vouch for me there. During the first year of the Z-plan I gave the TSSAA the program to calculate the numbers. I didn't develop them to 'punish' anyone but to make the seeding process and who gets in or out more equitable. You can still play Alcoa and we can still play the Maplewoods and Hendersonvilles. I count the wins regardless of classification for that reason. But don't schedule 3 or 4 1A or 2A teams that go 0-10 or 2-8. See what I mean? Bottom line, if you win, you get rewarded.

Yeah...I get it...I was just stirring the pot a little too. I actually think it has a lot of merit but can you imagine the casual fan trying to figure out the playoffs?

Yeah...I get it...I was just stirring the pot a little too. I actually think it has a lot of merit but can you imagine the casual fan trying to figure out the playoffs?

Reason I made the formula pretty simple. Suggestion I gave TSSAA was to publish standings each Monday and playoff possibilities each week after week 7.

I think fans would enjoy this more and have more idea of who might be seeded where. A 'BCS' discussion each week. Might mean more coacht.com posts?

Here is the spoon. Stir away. :hungry:

Edited by davidlimbaugh