Metro Rankings

bleacher

8 minutes ago, Navy21412 said:

probably some things are harder today, and some things are easier.  Back in the 70s-80s, those coaches were facing a completely different animal in what private schools were.  Mainly, that private schools had exactly 4 spots on a football team for financial aid recipients.  Now, it's unlimited, and there are a lot more private schools with spots and $$ for Nashville-area kids.  I read recently that at Overton HS, in the student body, there are at least 40+ different languages spoken at home.  That is not what Coutras was dealing with in the 80s.  Not to mention just in general the steady decades-long decline in enrollment in the MNPS system, and the impact of the pandemic.

I'll take Brunetti and Stewart over 90% of the guys coaching in Metro in the 70s/80s.   More often than not those metro teams that made the playoffs from district 12-AAA were one and done, and they only got there in the first place by beating each other.  I'd be curious to know how many playoff wins combined Metro had from the beginning of the play-offs in 1970 until the split in 1997.

You must remember that at the beginning of the playoffs you had to "WIN" the district to advance to the playoffs and that was later changed to only the top 2 teams in each district advanced to the playoffs.  You also only had 3 divisions so making it to the playoffs was a big deal.  

9 hours ago, cbg said:

You must remember that at the beginning of the playoffs you had to "WIN" the district to advance to the playoffs and that was later changed to only the top 2 teams in each district advanced to the playoffs.  You also only had 3 divisions so making it to the playoffs was a big deal.  

I read somewhere on here that some teams had lost one game and didn’t make the playoffs because of it. That’s CRAZY if you think about it especially nowadays.

Different times and circumstances. Crazy how much things have changed in my lifetime alone much less since before my time. I wouldnt rank any current metro coaches at the top of my list, but they still have time to get there. I think Brunetti is great for PC and metro. Needs a championship to put the icing on the cake. Stewart is doing well at EN. But as far as I know, he didn't take Antioch or even Stratford. Wonder how he would do at one of those schools? Everyone seemed to really like the latest Hillsboro hire. But now they are sliding in the wrong direction. The best metro coaches are those that take what they have and make them better. JMO. 

7 hours ago, FBfan26 said:

I read somewhere on here that some teams had lost one game and didn’t make the playoffs because of it. That’s CRAZY if you think about it especially nowadays.

It happened every season that a team with one loss would miss the playoffs.  The games within your district were a big deal and you had to be really good to qualify for the playoffs.  Today it would  be similar to throwing the private schools back in with everyone else and then saying only the region champions would qualify for the playoffs.  Today if a team even has a pulse they make the playoffs which is crazy but we now live in a society where everyone must feel good about themselves and the TSSAA is trying to generate more income.

I mentioned before the 1989 Whites Creek team coached by Richard Coure.  That team advanced to the 3A semifinals before losing to eventual champion Gallatin.  That remains one of the greatest Metro teams of all time.  I found the results from that season, and it's even more incredible than I remember.  Whites Creek allowed 25 total points in the regular season that year.  Points allowed by game: 3,6,0,7,0,6,3,0,0,0.  Possibly, they allowed 1 touchdown the entire regular season.  One of the greatest teams I ever saw in person.  Points-wise MBA is that last "3" in the sequence which had to have been set up by a turnover because pretty sure the team never crossed midfield and finished with negative yards gained.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Navy21412 said:

I mentioned before the 1989 Whites Creek team coached by Richard Coure.  That team advanced to the 3A semifinals before losing to eventual champion Gallatin.  That remains one of the greatest Metro teams of all time.  I found the results from that season, and it's even more incredible than I remember.  Whites Creek allowed 25 total points in the regular season that year.  Points allowed by game: 3,6,0,7,0,6,3,0,0,0.  Possibly, they allowed 1 touchdown the entire regular season.  One of the greatest teams I ever saw in person.  Points-wise MBA is that last "3" in the sequence which had to have been set up by a turnover because pretty sure the team never crossed midfield and finished with negative yards gained.

It’s my understanding that Whites Creek now has less than 500 students.  That is really sad!  Why the major drop off in enrollment for Whites Creek?  While he may have been small Adrian Norfleet was the best athlete to ever walk the halls of Whites Creek High School.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cbg said:

It’s my understanding that Whites Creek now has less than 500 students.  That is really sad!  Why the major drop off in enrollment for Whites Creek?  While he may have been small Adrian Norfleet was the best athlete to ever walk the halls of Whites Creek High School.  

And they also have the biggest zone as far as middle schools and students in the area. They’re building a lot of apartments out that way so I think they might start getting kids again.  The East Nashville area is rough. You take away the HS Charter schools in East Nashville and Maplewood and Whites creek blow back up. I would have said Hunters lane to but I heard they got a freshman class with about 800 kids.

1 hour ago, FBfan26 said:

And they also have the biggest zone as far as middle schools and students in the area. They’re building a lot of apartments out that way so I think they might start getting kids again.  The East Nashville area is rough. You take away the HS Charter schools in East Nashville and Maplewood and Whites creek blow back up. I would have said Hunters lane to but I heard they got a freshman class with about 800 kids.

IMO, if there is not a major increase in enrollment in the near future (next 5 years) Whites Creek should be closed and the property sold and placed back on the tax rolls.  The school was built to accommodate close to 2000 students which means that Whites Creek is now operating at less than 75% capacity.  

On 9/28/2022 at 5:12 AM, cbg said:

It happened every season that a team with one loss would miss the playoffs.  The games within your district were a big deal and you had to be really good to qualify for the playoffs.  Today it would  be similar to throwing the private schools back in with everyone else and then saying only the region champions would qualify for the playoffs.  Today if a team even has a pulse they make the playoffs which is crazy but we now live in a society where everyone must feel good about themselves and the TSSAA is trying to generate more income.

Your last sentence is a mouthful and sums up everything.  I think it needs to go back to the top two in each region and the rest go to bowl games 

Edited by TheCommissioner

2 hours ago, cbg said:

IMO, if there is not a major increase in enrollment in the near future (next 5 years) Whites Creek should be closed and the property sold and placed back on the tax rolls.  The school was built to accommodate close to 2000 students which means that Whites Creek is now operating at less than 75% capacity.  

Not much of a market for a 2000 student school building. The land maybe but not enough to cover all the demolition that would be involved.

Ask Davidson Academy how easy it is to just sell your campus and move. Did they ever just sell that property in Sumner Co they were going to move to?

Edited by MichaelMyers76

32 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Not much of a market for a 2000 student school building. The land maybe but not enough to cover all the demolition that would be involved.

Ask Davidson Academy how easy it is to just sell your campus and move. Did they ever just sell that property in Sumner Co they were going to move to?

You just sell the property "AS IS" for whatever you can get and move forward.  Davidson County has way too much property that is being underutilized and we as taxpayers would be much better off if it were sold to the public and placed back on the tax rolls.  DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE MULE JUST LOAD THE WAGON