Marion vs Trezevent (Mathis man against this White man)

Roy Dillard

In respect to the coaching decision on the 4th down attempt not so sure I'd have the guts to hardly make that call.  Was it the right call?  Well hindsight is 20/20.  I believe a 4th down attempt was successfully made in the 3rd that most coaches and arm chair coaches wouldn't have made either but it sustained the momentum for MC and they rode that to tie up the game at 20.  Now I understand the situation was a little different on the other call.  But it was made.  The coach took it upon himself to make that call to give what he thought was the best opportunity for his kids at the time with the ebb and flow of the game.  Did it work?  Well no.  There was pass interference on the play but not gonna say much more about that than calls are missed lots of times. Even calls seem to go your way early on but then you don't get the one you really need.  

And I will add as I recall these 2 teams as well were pitted against each other.  MC holding a 1 point lead and Trez was facing a 4th and 5 or so.  Trez coach wanted to punt the ball away or so it appeared.  And yes I realize they had the playmaker in CR. But 1 stop and who knows?  The kid wanted the ball in his hands to make a play.  He broke off a long run and the rest is history.  The coach made the call.  Was it the right call? Better call? Easier call?  Probably. 

The point I'm trying to make is a coach believed in his players to make 1 play. Just 1. And who knows?  

I do know this. Coach Mathis has some kids on the team that come from broken homes and seen to it out of his own pocket that the kids had a Thanksgiving meal with all the trimmings. That's the story I heard on game day. Good call to me. I'd stand by this coach any day of the week.

I believe he'd make the same call again and so would I.

It was a gutsy call that we should have gotten a PI on but thats football. I guess the fact that last year we punted, played field position with five minutes to go and never touched the ball again might have been a factor. By the way despite it being a hard fought competitive game the players i talked to said the trez players were very sportmanslike. The posters i might disagree with but the kids playing and not just 4 were very sportsman like.

The east in 2A will not be as strong as it was this season. Marion County won't be near as good. I'm not sure about Tyner because I just don't think they are coached well for the amount of athletes. Austin East seems to have a good coach. He might be able to reload the chamber. Trousdale County has a lot of kids coming back. They played NCS and Huntingdon to good games. I believe the ones Truth mentioned are the ones with a shot in the east.

Austin East will be 3a, like some have said. I heard this was Turners last year at Tyner and if it is, they may become the Trezevant of the east, depending on who they bring in. Trousdale is the favorite, but they still have to hire a coach as well, so we will see how it goes. Marion has a ton of holes to fill like i said and depending on the lineplay and how the boys get after it in the weight room could be a player with the skill guys coming back. Big thing will be the schedule, with them having trouble filling it hopefully the four remaining games all dont have to come from way bigger enrollments because then you worry about kids staying healthy and the young ones developing. Could be some exciting games though. Burkes will be a good mlb but have to find a new 5 of 6 up front. 2a east will be weaker, as will 1a. sp should get to the title game the next 4 years, or at least be in the conversation.

I wont comment anymore on the 4th down and long attempt other than to say the defense was playing them much much tougher this year than last, and richardson was obviously banged up. We may not have won if we punted, but without, it took every chance we had away. That isnt a slight towards those kids at all. They will go down as some of the most sucessful groups in mc history, first team to get to 3 championships in a row. I agree that Mathis is a great man, the kind you want your kid to play for, and he is a young coach that will learn on the job like all do.

Edited by TheTruthPrevails

Austin East will be 3a, like some have said. I heard this was Turners last year at Tyner and if it is, they may become the Trezevant of the east, depending on who they bring in. Trousdale is the favorite, but they still have to hire a coach as well, so we will see how it goes. Marion has a ton of holes to fill like i said and depending on the lineplay and how the boys get after it in the weight room could be a player with the skill guys coming back. Big thing will be the schedule, with them having trouble filling it hopefully the four remaining games all dont have to come from way bigger enrollments because then you worry about kids staying healthy and the young ones developing. Could be some exciting games though. Burkes will be a good mlb but have to find a new 5 of 6 up front. 2a east will be weaker, as will 1a. sp should get to the title game the next 4 years, or at least be in the conversation.

I wont comment anymore on the 4th down and long attempt other than to say the defense was playing them much much tougher this year than last, and richardson was obviously banged up. We may not have won if we punted, but without, it took every chance we had away. That isnt a slight towards those kids at all. They will go down as some of the most sucessful groups in mc history, first team to get to 3 championships in a row. I agree that Mathis is a great man, the kind you want your kid to play for, and he is a young coach that will learn on the job like all do.

Agree 100% I hope Mathis stays long enough for mine to finish his playing days with him... Great man and a fine coach in my opinion!!!

I'll take my crow Memphis style. 

Willie and other T fans, I usually don't post on weekends as I am caring for an ageing relative in Carter Co. Once my help gets here during the week it frees me up some.

I was all ready to get on here and blast everyone in sight this morning. Trezevant has had a grade scandal that we still have no idea how it will play out, and Marion is on probation again. We should be able to do better. The TSSAA is a sham organization and everyone here knows it. They couldn't manage microwaving a pop tart unless it involved giving them 50% of the proceeds.

But Saturday's game had so much GOOD in it, that I am leaving those items for now. Maybe forever. So much that happened Saturday was a reminder of the great in people, athletics, and this message board.  

I have a few thoughts.

- Boy I am a believer in Trez. A second year makes us go back and look at the first year more closely. As dominant as Marion was in getting to C'ville, Trez was equally as dominant of Marion both times basically.

- The Jackson kid for T is nothing short of a hero. It's obvious not only his internal character, but the character of those who raised this young man. What an absolutely touching story. He taught us all a lesson in class, quick-thinking, humility, and God fearing.

- Let us not forget the Zeman kid, who I have made it clear I am a huge fan of. That kid isa fighter and a winner. So grateful he is going to be ok.

- #14 for Trezevant was a man's man Saturday.

- Marion, if you forget the botched punt and the 4th down fail with 9 min remaining in the 4th, was very much in this game.  I'd love to rip their coach for going fo rit but I understand why he did it. He felt that his D was finished. I disagree with him, but he made a desperate attempt to keep some positive momentum going after a star was knocked out cold. The play would have worked and I did think there was PI, but it is what it is.

- Marion's 1st and 3rd TD drives were absolutely brilliant. A nice mix of plays with some short and long gains. The 2 play drive to end the half was some opportunistic stuff and nice also, but I was more impressed by the aforementioned sustained drives.

- #4 is a load also. Willie was right.

- #5 CR might have only gotten 60+ yards, but he scored two red zone TDs on 1st down that were both electrifying. What a special kid he is.

- I thought #78 and #17 for Marion both played like soldiers. Two very gutty talented kids.

I am also a huge Sayers fan. 

All in all, Marion, some will say, are the Buffalo Bills of 2A. My take is this- ask any fan of the Bills or the AFC teams they pummeled what they think of the Bills now. The answer is that history will reflect extremely positively on this group of Warriors. It's a huge task to make it to Cookeville once, much less 3 straight years. In all 3 cases they had their shots, but lost to probably better teams. There is no shame in that. Marion fans, minus some of their false humility and a little more cockiness this year, are the type of fan base that any school should be proud to have. Passionate, knowledgeable.

- I have some things to say about T, their coaches and fans.

First, I was wrong about them in so many ways.  Not just the Jackson kid, although he is a huge statement to the character of the program, but all the T kids in general seemed to be good kids who played a clean hard hitting game. #9 got elevated once, but it is the state playoff final. Overall I think they are good young men. More than good. They are true champions in every sense of the word.

Second, I sold that staff short too. I was wrong. To do what this guy has done back to back is an all time great achievement. Kudos to Coach White.

Finally, this is the second straight year I have ventured into the Trezevant section with a couple of old buddies of mine to watch a football game. Three guys in their 60s. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that the T fans were the nicest folks you could ever be around. Folks chatted with us and we chatted with them. Thruout the game. They were very sweet people who love their Bears and that's it. To the poster who claimed they were singing or chanting during Zemen's injury I can state unequivocally that that accusation is FALSE. It was completely silent other than a few whisperings. T fans were VERY respectful. They also were cheering loudly when Zemen gave a thumbs up (what a moment eh??). T fans got that Zemen was a true Warrior, and they appreciated his fight, and wanted him to be ok. To insinuate otherwise is asinine. 

What a game and what a two years of competition. 

Congrats to both programs on back to back appearances. Both programs have much to be proud of. 

Trezevant, Undisputed Champs of 2A, 2015, 2016.  

• Upvote 1

Willie and other T fans, I usually don't post on weekends as I am caring for an ageing relative in Carter Co. Once my help gets here during the week it frees me up some.

I was all ready to get on here and blast everyone in sight this morning. Trezevant has had a grade scandal that we still have no idea how it will play out, and Marion is on probation again. We should be able to do better. The TSSAA is a sham organization and everyone here knows it. They couldn't manage microwaving a pop tart unless it involved giving them 50% of the proceeds.

But Saturday's game had so much GOOD in it, that I am leaving those items for now. Maybe forever. So much that happened Saturday was a reminder of the great in people, athletics, and this message board.  

I have a few thoughts.

- Boy I am a believer in Trez. A second year makes us go back and look at the first year more closely. As dominant as Marion was in getting to C'ville, Trez was equally as dominant of Marion both times basically.

- The Jackson kid for T is nothing short of a hero. It's obvious not only his internal character, but the character of those who raised this young man. What an absolutely touching story. He taught us all a lesson in class, quick-thinking, humility, and God fearing.

- Let us not forget the Zeman kid, who I have made it clear I am a huge fan of. That kid isa fighter and a winner. So grateful he is going to be ok.

- Marion, if you forget the botched punt and the 4th down fail with 9 min remaining in the 4th, was very much in this game.  I'd love to rip their coach for going fo rit but I understand why he did it. He felt that his D was finished. I disagree with him, but he made a desperate attempt to keep some positive momentum going after a star was knocked out cold. The play would have worked and I did think there was PI, but it is what it is.

- Marion's 1st and 3rd TD drives were absolutely brilliant. A nice mix of plays with some short and long gains. The 2 play drive to end the half was some opportunistic stuff and nice also, but I was more impressed by the aforementioned sustained drives.

- #5 CR might have only gotten 60+ yards, but he scored two red zone TDs on 1st down that were both electrifying. What a special kid he is.

- I thought #78 and #17 for Marion both played like soldiers. Two very gutty talented kids.

All in all, Marion, some will say, are the Buffalo Bills of 2A. My take is this- ask any fan of the Bills or the AFC teams they pummeled what they think of the Bills now. The answer is that history will reflect extremely positively on this group of Warriors. It's a huge task to make it to Cookeville once, much less 3 straight years. In all 3 cases they had their shots, but lost to probably better teams. There is no shame in that. Marion fans, minus some of their false humility and a little more cockiness this year, are the type of fan base that any school should be proud to have. Passionate, knowledgeable.

First, I was wrong about them in so many ways.  Not just the Jackson kid, although he is a huge statement to the character of the program, but all the T kids in general seemed to be good kids who played a clean hard hitting game. #9 got elevated once, but it is the state playoff final. Overall I think they are good young men. More than good. They are true champions in every sense of the word.

Second, I sold that staff short too. I was wrong. To do what this guy has done back to back is an all time great achievement. Kudos to Coach White.

Finally, this is the second straight year I have ventured into the Trezevant section with a couple of old buddies of mine to watch a football game. Three guys in their 60s. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that the T fans were the nicest folks you could ever be around. Folks chatted with us and we chatted with them. Thruout the game. They were very sweet people who love their Bears and that's it. To the poster who claimed they were singing or chanting during Zemen's injury I can state unequivocally that that accusation is FALSE. It was completely silent other than a few whisperings. T fans were VERY respectful. They also were cheering loudly when Zemen gave a thumbs up (what a moment eh??). T fans got that Zemen was a true Warrior, and they appreciated his fight, and wanted him to be ok. To insinuate otherwise is asinine. 

Congrats to both programs on back to back appearances. Both programs have much to be proud of. 

Outstanding and thoughtful post.

Excellent post.

I have a few thoughts.

Hopefully your boys will hit it hard and get after in in the offseason and they both can play a bunch next year. We are gonna need someone to step up take mcclains spot on offense.

I only got one but he is ready and excited to step up and prove what he and his teamates can accomplish! Ready to get in the weight room and get at it!!! Your right about Someone taking McClains spot for that offense to work you have to have a back that can get yards up the middle!!! Edited by FootballFan75

I only got one but he is ready and excited to step up and prove what he and his teamates can accomplish! Ready to get in the weight room and get at it!!! Your right about Someone taking McClains spot for that offense to work you have to have a back that can get yards up the middle!!!

Mcclain played like a man. Hard to replace a kid like that. It will take some hard working and special kids to replace the losses of this years seniors. Great group.