William Blount Hosts Stone Memorial

BarneySox2007

5 hours ago, orngnblk said:

NOW THIS IS THE POST OF THE WEEK!LOL.

Maybe just a little sarcasm in this post!

Seriously, I was told that he had multiple offers from schools trying to hire him after his first and second seasons, schools such as Siegel, Lebanon, and West among others....and he turned them all down.  So it is amazing that WB has been able to keep him, he must really like the area.

3 hours ago, jake said:

Seriously, I was told that he had multiple offers from schools trying to hire him after his first and second seasons, schools such as Siegel, Lebanon, and West among others....and he turned them all down.  So it is amazing that WB has been able to keep him, he must really like the area.

There's no one on earth that would love to be wrong about this whole situation down there than me. If they do get this turned around I would be more than glad to eat the biggest Crow Pie anyone could make but I don't think I'm wrong. Alcoa and Maryville would put the skids on a coaches hind end if they went 1-9 and had other interest going on the side. The county schools are more lax about things like that because the people on the board are usually the Village Idiots that strive off of a little power but couldn't run a child's lemonade stand.

3 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

There's no one on earth that would love to be wrong about this whole situation down there than me. If they do get this turned around I would be more than glad to eat the biggest Crow Pie anyone could make but I don't think I'm wrong. Alcoa and Maryville would put the skids on a coaches hind end if they went 1-9 and had other interest going on the side. The county schools are more lax about things like that because the people on the board are usually the Village Idiots that strive off of a little power but couldn't run a child's lemonade stand.

We will probably never know the answer to that. Although, in 1974 coach Cochran lead Alcoa to a 0-9 record, they kept him around for 4 more years where he ended up winning a state title in 1978. Some coach named Jim Renfro at MHS went 2-8 in 1952 and 1-8-1 in 1953..

WB has struggled these last few years and some is to blame on the Head Coach, but look at the talent they have had... Im not 100% sure but I don't think any player he has coached at WB in on a College roster, and then when it seems he has a chance to coach the best prospect since coming to WB, the kid transferred out..

Also, Clemmer lives in the county if that's who you guys are talking about..

4 minutes ago, williebgovs04 said:

We will probably never know the answer to that. Although, in 1974 coach Cochran lead Alcoa to a 0-9 record, they kept him around for 4 more years where he ended up winning a state title in 1978. Some coach named Jim Renfro at MHS went 2-8 in 1952 and 1-8-1 in 1953..

WB has struggled these last few years and some is to blame on the Head Coach, but look at the talent they have had... Im not 100% sure but I don't think any player he has coached at WB in on a College roster, and then when it seems he has a chance to coach the best prospect since coming to WB, the kid transferred out..

I am in between on all of this. To be sure, Shad has not had any D1 talent to work with, but WB has still continued to underachieve under his watch. You can be a playoff team and win more than you lose with kids who are just good high school players if you have good coaching. Now, a big part of that is having a good staff and Shad still has some coaches left over from before he got here.  

26 minutes ago, TheGuvna said:

I am in between on all of this. To be sure, Shad has not had any D1 talent to work with, but WB has still continued to underachieve under his watch. You can be a playoff team and win more than you lose with kids who are just good high school players if you have good coaching. Now, a big part of that is having a good staff and Shad still has some coaches left over from before he got here.  

You are right, they have underachieved and Shad has to do a better job, trust me he knows that and is working at it every day

18 minutes ago, williebgovs04 said:

Willie when all these state championships started happening the noose really got tight especially on the Alcoa side in the beginning. I personally listened to a former coach at Alcoa tell me they put so much pressure on him to beat Maryville that it was like life or death to some of them over there. When the 98 team got this monster started at Maryville and GQ lost his first four games his second year there were for sale signs in his yard and a lot of people got out of hand and pretty ugly, like Butch Jones Ugly. When Pea Head went 0-9 at Alcoa I remember that well but keep in mind back then Alcoa actually had around thirty players on the whole squad and they were a basketball school in those days not football. When they dropped down to Single A in 77 and got a taste of a few championships in a row then the thing got started there. To make a long story short if Alcoa and Maryville went 1-9 the fans would go looking for blood.

14 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Willie when all these state championships started happening the noose really got tight especially on the Alcoa side in the beginning. I personally listened to a former coach at Alcoa tell me they put so much pressure on him to beat Maryville that it was like life or death to some of them over there. When the 98 team got this monster started at Maryville and GQ lost his first four games his second year there were for sale signs in his yard and a lot of people got out of hand and pretty ugly, like Butch Jones Ugly. When Pea Head went 0-9 at Alcoa I remember that well but keep in mind back then Alcoa actually had around thirty players on the whole squad and they were a basketball school in those days not football. When they dropped down to Single A in 77 and got a taste of a few championships in a row then the thing got started there. To make a long story short if Alcoa and Maryville went 1-9 the fans would go looking for blood.

I ended up with those signs if we need them again.

1 hour ago, williebgovs04 said:

I could have a field day responding to this, but I won't because you are a great guy and I know at the end of the day that you just want what is best for WB, but the fact is that staying at WB is what is best for some of the kids that are there because they will get to play and enjoy their high school career instead of being a scout team player somewhere else....but for a few players, staying at WB is just not in their best interest.  For several years, I didn't understand that and I would question people when they left for what seemed to be greener pastures, then last year I began to understand that people are just making what they feel is the best decision for their kids.  You already have on assistant coach whose son attends elsewhere, and I know plenty of administrators and coaches who have young kids and get a paycheck from the county system but live in the city of Maryville, where do you think their kids will attend school?  I don't think they are paying city taxes for the fun of it.  No, there isn't many, if any kids on a college roster from WB, but that leads to the question, where might they be if they had made a different choice?