Mt. Juliet vs Oakland

Bump11

4 hours ago, Meat99 said:

I've watched both Mt. Juliet and Oakland play this season and can say that the talent is evenly matched. If anything, Mt. Juliet has the edge with 4 players receiving Division 1 scholarships and half a dozen more of their starters will play college football at the D2/NAIA level. They're strong up front and have a slew of backs in their arsenal that can pick up tough yards. Their defensive line is dominant and #23 6'4 240lbs Bryan Aiken (who hasn't played football since 8th grade and already received scholarships from Louisville and Memphis with more to come) is one of the most dominant Defensive ends I've seen in high school football in a while. Their weakness is definitely pass defense especially in the Flats. I see MJ pulling this one out though, 31-21. 

MJ may win, but they won't score 31 points. If Maryville couldn't do it (at home), then MJ sure wont

4 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

MJ may win, but they won't score 31 points. If Maryville couldn't do it (at home), then MJ sure wont

MJ winning... LOL that's a pipe dream. Grimes and Aiken need to go ahead and start thinking about basketball practice next Monday.

BIG MONEY BUDDY

Edited by DylanPanthers1

9 hours ago, Meat99 said:

I've watched both Mt. Juliet and Oakland play this season and can say that the talent is evenly matched. If anything, Mt. Juliet has the edge with 4 players receiving Division 1 scholarships and half a dozen more of their starters will play college football at the D2/NAIA level. They're strong up front and have a slew of backs in their arsenal that can pick up tough yards. Their defensive line is dominant and #23 6'4 240lbs Bryan Aiken (who hasn't played football since 8th grade and already received scholarships from Louisville and Memphis with more to come) is one of the most dominant Defensive ends I've seen in high school football in a while. Their weakness is definitely pass defense especially in the Flats. I see MJ pulling this one out though, 31-21. 

If we are basing this game off who has more D1 scholarship offers( which is insane), then the game wont be close based on your logic. Oakland has 8 kids with D1 offers as it stands right now. Both teams are very stingy on defense and both teams do a great job of holding on to the ball. If there aren't any turnovers, this could be a game that's over by 845. Probably not a lot of passing here.  Timely penalties will also play a factor on Friday night. I dont see either team being able to overcome being behind the chains. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DylanPanthers1 said:

Far from it... Why because MJ spanked y'all? A weak 3rd place team in the weakest division in the state? Obviously that didn't take much... Oakland toyed with Hendersonville.

BIG MONEY BUDDY

First off we finished second in the region behind MJ so get your facts straight buddy. Secondly, I would hardly call them beating us 28-13 a “spanking!” They were the better team and deserved to win. 

I said false because you said Oakland is superior in every way possible. MJ may not have Rutherford County “talent” but they will undoubtedly match Oakland up front on both sides of the ball. Oakland will have a tough time moving the ball. That defense is for real!

I’m not saying anything bad about Oakland, obviously they are a fantastic team.. and MJ may not win this game but it won’t be the shellacking your framing it to be. 

Edited by CommandoBlood100

37 minutes ago, OrangeEagle said:

If we are basing this game off who has more D1 scholarship offers( which is insane), then the game wont be close based on your logic. Oakland has 8 kids with D1 offers as it stands right now. Both teams are very stingy on defense and both teams do a great job of holding on to the ball. If there aren't any turnovers, this could be a game that's over by 845. Probably not a lot of passing here.  Timely penalties will also play a factor on Friday night. I dont see either team being able to overcome being behind the chains. 

Not basing it off of who has more offers. That is ridiculous. Just responding to the guy who said MJ is average with no talent. Oakland is very talented but I believe they match up well in that category. Woodie Washington (Oklahoma)  vs JR. Malik Bowen (offers:Ole Miss, Duke,Memphis) will be a tougher test than the Knox kid from Blackman was. But I think your right, there probably won't be much passing because of how good Oakland's secondary is. MJ's line up front is much stronger and all around team strength is too much considering they can match them with speed. Oakland is extremely talented and MJ has been overlooked all year because of their untested schedule. This will be a great game but why I'm giving them the edge is their team strength. MJ will dominate them up front on both sides of the ball and Oakland doesn't have a quarterback who is accurate enough to expose MJ's holes in their pass defense. 

38 minutes ago, Meat99 said:

Not basing it off of who has more offers. That is ridiculous. Just responding to the guy who said MJ is average with no talent. Oakland is very talented but I believe they match up well in that category. Woodie Washington (Oklahoma)  vs JR. Malik Bowen (offers:Ole Miss, Duke,Memphis) will be a tougher test than the Knox kid from Blackman was. But I think your right, there probably won't be much passing because of how good Oakland's secondary is. MJ's line up front is much stronger and all around team strength is too much considering they can match them with speed. Oakland is extremely talented and MJ has been overlooked all year because of their untested schedule. This will be a great game but why I'm giving them the edge is their team strength. MJ will dominate them up front on both sides of the ball and Oakland doesn't have a quarterback who is accurate enough to expose MJ's holes in their pass defense. 

Not sure you've really been paying attention to Oakland if you think MJ is going to dominate in the trenches. They might get a big play or two, but they won't be able to consistently run for solid yardage, not against this defensive front.

Washington has gone up against guys like AJ Davis (Maryville) and TJ Sheffield, so Knox honestly isn't even a good example. If you want to beat Oakland, you better use the middle of the field, they are just too fast from sideline to sideline

Edited by MidTennFootball

1 hour ago, Meat99 said:

If you go through the MJ/Blackman thread, I actually said all week MJ would likely beat Blackman. I think Blackman was highly overrated upfront and I thought their QB would have to make some throws to win the game. 

I completely disagree with your assessment that Oakland will be dominated up front. Blackman was not dominated up front. MJ is a really good team and has great character. That shined through last Friday night. Blackman didnt handle adversity well at all. They pointed fingers and fell apart.

This will be the best front MJ has seen all year.  I think MJ QB will have to make throws as well as the Oakland QB. In that matchup, Oakland has the better passer. I also think MJ will get a heavy dose of Myers.  

Heard a lot about the atmosphere of MJ, looking forward to making the trip. Hope both teams play their best

44 minutes ago, OrangeEagle said:

If you go through the MJ/Blackman thread, I actually said all week MJ would likely beat Blackman. I think Blackman was highly overrated upfront and I thought their QB would have to make some throws to win the game. 

I completely disagree with your assessment that Oakland will be dominated up front. Blackman was not dominated up front. MJ is a really good team and has great character. That shined through last Friday night. Blackman didnt handle adversity well at all. They pointed fingers and fell apart.

This will be the best front MJ has seen all year.  I think MJ QB will have to make throws as well as the Oakland QB. In that matchup, Oakland has the better passer. I also think MJ will get a heavy dose of Myers.  

Heard a lot about the atmosphere of MJ, looking forward to making the trip. Hope both teams play their best

It will be a heck of a game. Look up highlights of MJ's QB Alvin Mixon And check out some of the throws he's made and the touch he puts on the ball along with his arm strength. I only have the Oakland/Maryville and Oakland/Blackman game to compare the Oakland QB, but based off of those games, he is not the better passer. Anyways, good luck to both teams, would like to see someone from Middle Tennessee take home the 6A Title. 

2 hours ago, Meat99 said:

As others have already mentioned, I completely disagree that Oakland will get dominated up front. 

2 hours ago, Meat99 said:

Pretty sure Oakland's strength is their front. Can't see them getting 'dominated up front on both sides of the ball.' It will be a good test for both teams, but I don't believe either team will be dominated up front. It will, more than likely, be the best front that either team has faced all season. (Other than Maryville. They are pretty dang good!)

As far as passing is concerned, Oakland's QB has over 1,400 yards in 12 games (sat the 2nd half in all but 3 or 4 games), 18 TDs, and 3 int's. Oakland doesn't pass very much, but they've been pretty effective when they do. I haven't seen any film on the MJ QB, other than the game from Friday night so I can't really make a judgement on his passing. I think he's an exceptional runner, however.

This game should be a slobberknocker!!! Can't wait to see MJ's field!! It looked like a great place to play!