South Pittsburg vs Greenback (Grider against this Ryan man)

Roy Dillard

Just now, 32hammer said:

If I'm not mistaken, most schools have open enrollment that allows a kid to go to another school rather than the one he/she s zoned for.  If they start that new HS as a freshman they do not have to sit out form athletic participation.

That's the open enrollment that's really relevant to this discussion and most schools in TN fall under this rule.

You are mistaken.  For example,  a student zoned for Whitwell can't just show up at South Pittsburg the 1st day of classes.  They have to apply and the principal and school system have to approve it.  Furthermore if said student played or participated at Whitwell, they would have to sit out 12 months unless they enrolled before the beginning of the 9th grade.  TSSAA has something to say about that last part. 

8 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

William Blount is a 6A school that shares a zoning border with GB. Some kids zoned for WB actually have a GB address. Why are kids not transferring to WB? Instead you have WB kids begging their parents to move their families so they can attend GB.

If that were true than Johnson City would have all the championships instead of Maryville 6A and Alcoa 3A.

Alcoa has won 12 of the last 15 state championships, Maryville has had a historic run in 6A, missing maybe two state championship games in 18 years.

Yet Blount county doesn't have the population or big schools of Kingsport, Nashville, Memphis or Knoxville. So you argument is invalid.

Maybe Blount County ( which in this discussion includes GB), simply has better athletes, better coaching and/ or harder working kids ? While that statement may be subjective and open to debate, the argument that its because of being around a bunch of big schools can not be valid based on the success of Maryville/Alcoa over all of the other schools in the larger metro areas.

Green Back High is NOT part of the discussion for Blount County Schools as per the TSSAA and it never will unless Blount and Loudon counties get merged. 

Edited by rlh

Just now, 32hammer said:

If I'm not mistaken, most schools have open enrollment that allows a kid to go to another school rather than the one he/she s zoned for.  If they start that new HS as a freshman they do not have to sit out form athletic participation.

That's the open enrollment that's really relevant to this discussion and most schools in TN fall under this rule.

My kid set this year and yes he transferred before High school. Trust me he's still a transfer.

1 minute ago, rlh said:

You are mistaken.  For example,  a student zoned for Whitwell can't just show up at South Pittsburg the 1st day of classes.  They have to apply and the principal and school system have to approve it.  Furthermore if said student played or participated at Whitwell, they would have to sit out 12 months unless they enrolled before the beginning of the 9th grade.  TSSAA has something to say about that last part. 

The bolded is also true at other schools, one that I know about personally. The rest is also true at all of the other open zoned schools in TN which if I'm not mistaken is over 80% of schools in TN that participate in athletics.

So again, my statement is true, GB has the same situation as  over 80% of other schools in TN have. So

4 minutes ago, pujo said:

My kid set this year and yes he transferred before High school. Trust me he's still a transfer.

Interesting. I'm not asking for you to disclose personal information, but that does sound like a case of extenuating circumstances.  My understanding of the rule is that you can transfer in before high school, as long as you didn't participate in another HS's sports activity( ex. an 8 grader that played for or practiced with  his previous schools  HS team)

3 minutes ago, rlh said:

Green Back High is NOT part of the discussion for Blount County Schools as per the TSSAA and it never will unless Blount and Loudon counties get merged. 

I think the point that 32Hammer was trying to make was that it is much harder for a kid to transfer in to GB than it is a lot of other counties in the state that have open zones.  Blount County is open zoned and this includes the city schools of Maryville and Alcoa and families that are willing to pay their tuition can attend those schools if they are accepted regardless of where they live.  For a kid to get enrolled at GB, that family has to make a move into Loudon County.

And he is 100% correct in that, if Loudon County ever goes to open zoning.....look out, GB could really get a ton of kids.  I know for a fact that they had a OL, RB, and DB (two of which will play small college ball) that wanted to attend GB this year but their families did not have the means to move into Loudon County.

5 minutes ago, jake said:

I think the point that 32Hammer was trying to make was that it is much harder for a kid to transfer in to GB than it is a lot of other counties in the state that have open zones.  Blount County is open zoned and this includes the city schools of Maryville and Alcoa and families that are willing to pay their tuition can attend those schools if they are accepted regardless of where they live.  For a kid to get enrolled at GB, that family has to make a move into Loudon County.

And he is 100% correct in that, if Loudon County ever goes to open zoning.....look out, GB could really get a ton of kids.  I know for a fact that they had a OL, RB, and DB (two of which will play small college ball) that wanted to attend GB this year but their families did not have the means to move into Loudon County.

Exactly Jake!

By the way, we will be cranking up our extra strength and conditioning program in the weight room at church after the state championship games. Let everybody know that wants their kid to get better for next year they are welcome to come if they can handle my training. Doesn't matter which school they go to.

8 minutes ago, jake said:

You keep leaving out TSSAA's definition of open enrollment.  Furthermore, the county line is a big deal.  If a student has participated, they have to sit out 12 months as per TSSAA.  Lastly, not as many counties are open enrollment by TSSAA definitions. 

9 minutes ago, crow said:

That's the last trip to the semi's for us. Been to long gone, miss the old days. 

1 minute ago, CaptainJackRackam said:

I believe it was cold everywhere in TN that night! MCHS at Boyd, SP I believe was at TC! 

9 minutes ago, pujo said:

Talking the total run, you get it o&b. Smart feller 

1977 was cold in Rockwood and 2001 was cold in Cloudand.  2008 was cold in Trouserhoser County.

40 minutes ago, rlh said:

You keep leaving out TSSAA's definition of open enrollment.  Furthermore, the county line is a big deal.  If a student has participated, they have to sit out 12 months as per TSSAA.  Lastly, not as many counties are open enrollment by TSSAA definitions. 

They do not have to sit if they have a change of residency.