Alcoa Transfers - What’s Going On??

Tangledweb

3 minutes ago, WarEagleCartman said:

Yeah, playing in 1A really seemed to hurt Patrick Willis's game...not. If you can play you can play regardless of where you went to high school

I don't believe it hurt his game but might have hurt his recruiting.  He only held 3 offers (Memphis, Ole Miss, and Ark State) and was ranked as a 3 star.  He is the perfect example of why not to go off of star ratings and UT could have used him.  I still remember watching him rack up 15 tackles at UT playing with one good hand and a club on his other one.  Guys was a Nasty Linebacker!!!! 

Another Example would be Chris Donald that was ranked the #2 OLB, #39 player in the nation, and 4 star in the 2007 class that ended up not living up to the Hype and transferring to finish his career at UTC.

Willis and Randall Cobb were 2 great TN athletes that got over looked in the recruiting process to end up having killer NFL careers

1 hour ago, Swipes said:

I don't believe it hurt his game but might have hurt his recruiting.  He only held 3 offers (Memphis, Ole Miss, and Ark State) and was ranked as a 3 star.  He is the perfect example of why not to go off of star ratings and UT could have used him.  I still remember watching him rack up 15 tackles at UT playing with one good hand and a club on his other one.  Guys was a Nasty Linebacker!!!! 

Another Example would be Chris Donald that was ranked the #2 OLB, #39 player in the nation, and 4 star in the 2007 class that ended up not living up to the Hype and transferring to finish his career at UTC.

Willis and Randall Cobb were 2 great TN athletes that got over looked in the recruiting process to end up having killer NFL careers

I believe that speaks more to the incompetence of a lot of recruiters and coaches. If you couldn't just look at Patrick and see a at bare minimum 2 year serviceable starter in the SEC then I will question their football acumen all day long. Just one of the reasons I didn't like Fulmer. He straight up admitted he didn't recruit Patrick because he went to a small school. I believe it was the week he tore up UT with the club. Recruiters and coaches get too starry eyed over the best players on the best teams. That's how you end up with guys like Tate Martell. 

1 hour ago, WarEagleCartman said:

I believe that speaks more to the incompetence of a lot of recruiters and coaches. If you couldn't just look at Patrick and see a at bare minimum 2 year serviceable starter in the SEC then I will question their football acumen all day long. Just one of the reasons I didn't like Fulmer. He straight up admitted he didn't recruit Patrick because he went to a small school. I believe it was the week he tore up UT with the club. Recruiters and coaches get too starry eyed over the best players on the best teams. That's how you end up with guys like Tate Martell. 

Not going to argue about the incompetence of recruiters or coaches but it wasn't just Fulmer that didn't recruit the guy like I said earlier with 3 offers from 3 teams that didn't have a good record the previous year.  I think recruiting has changed a lot since the early 2000's when it comes to evaluating talent, camps to go to, 7vs7, more teams from different states playing each other.

I don't get the Tate Martell reference when it comes what you're saying or trying to say.  He got beat out by Justin Fields at Ohio State after he transferred  from GA and now on the roster at Miami.  Thats like saying Joe Burrow was over rated since he was beat out at Ohio State by Dwayne Haskins after being the back up to Barrett for 2 years.  Burrow never got the start until he transferred to LSU after 3 years at Ohio State.

Edited by Swipes

3 hours ago, WarEagleCartman said:

Yeah, playing in 1A really seemed to hurt Patrick Willis's game...not. If you can play you can play regardless of where you went to high school

There's always going to be misconceptions and even a few exceptions to recruiting. No one is perfect. Every coach would wish he didn't pass on player A, instead he went with player B. Every GM would like to have "this" trade back.

Also, the power of technology was different with Patrick played. No social media, no hudl, all he had going for was a class VHS videotape. That is what probably hurt him. Also, give credit to Ole Miss for developing Patrick. Remember, one of the best  current running backs in college football was the #21 best player in his state.

On 4/8/2020 at 8:57 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

Unfortunately, this is not true, and stats based off recruiting numbers will proved that. 

I believe you're misguided about what goes on inside colleges based off recruiting and how that works. 

Stats-they could care less

There are 5'11 LB with 150 tackles and 6'2 LB with 50 tackles. Guess who gets the power 5 offer. Even if they both run a 4.6

Try again on being miss guided 

I could go on and on at each position to prove my point

Size and speed

On 4/8/2020 at 9:54 AM, BarneySox2007 said:

Before you go and get your liver in a quiver I personally want to see as many kids go to UT around here as possible no matter what school their from but they seem to disqualify a lot of good kids from the area for one reason or another. Usually they want you as a preferred walk on and if you can't cut the mustard then nothing lost on their part. I love to see local kids that they shunned come back and stick it to them like Cassen Garrison and Robinette. I was also pulling for Randall Cobb and Tyler Robinson to beat them also. 

No liver in my quiver just stating what you said means nothing

I want local kids gong to college too. Big colleges

But you have to meet certain size and speed to get the big offers. 

They don't care what size school you go to 98% of the time. I'll give to those 2 out of a hundred coaches that use that as a measuring stick

13 hours ago, Swipes said:

Something was causing Willis - beside school size to not get more offers. Like maybe his 40 time or he never competed against other decent kids at camps to prove he had THE it. Something.  Only three offers shows coming out of HS something was missing in him. Of course that chip on his shoulder caused everyone that didn't recruite him how they missed badly

Still don't think it was school size

On 4/5/2020 at 7:46 PM, TornadoLeadRecruiter said:

They don’t care what level you play at. All they care about is size and speed. 6a or 1a makes no difference. Just size and speed

I went back and looked at the top 25 players in the state of Tennessee (according to Rivals) and wondered what school they attended and what classification they played in. 

In 2016, Dillon Mitchell from White Station (6A) was the #1 overall player. 15 of the top 25 players attended public schools.

1A: 1

3A: 1

4A: 3

5A: 3

6A: 7

In 2017, Tee Higgins from Oak Ridge (5A) was the #1 overall player. 20 of the top 25 players attended public schools.

3A: 4

4A: 1

5A: 6

6A: 9

In 2018, Cade Mays from Knox Catholic (5A) was the #1 overall player. 17 of the top 25 players attended public schools.

3A: 2

4A: 2

6A: 10

In 2019 Woodi Washington from Oakland (6A) was the #1 overall player. 14 of the top 25

In 2020, Jay Hardy from D2 McCallie was the #1 overall player. He does not count on this list but 18 of the top 25 players attended public schools.

5A: 5

6A: 12

In the class of 2021, Hardin County's (4A) Hudson Wolfe is the #1 overall player in our  state. 15 of the top 25 players are currently enrolled at public schools.

5A: 1

6A: 11

Tennessee took Daniel Brooks over Willis. Brooks was the #1 prospect in Tennessee at the time in 2003. Every time you take a kid, one kid gets left out. Brooks never materialized as the player we wanted him to be, Willis became what we wanted from Brook. No guarantees Willis would have had the same career here. 

Good for Willis for playing with a chip on his shoulder, great story. 

7 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

I went back and looked at the top 25 players in the state of Tennessee (according to Rivals) and wondered what school they attended and what classification they played in. 

In 2016, Dillon Mitchell from White Station (6A) was the #1 overall player. 15 of the top 25 players attended public schools.

4A: 3

6A: 7

In 2017, Tee Higgins from Oak Ridge (5A) was the #1 overall player. 20 of the top 25 players attended public schools.

3A: 4

5A: 6

In 2018, Cade Mays from Knox Catholic (5A) was the #1 overall player. 17 of the top 25 players attended public schools.

4A: 2

6A: 10

In 2019 Woodi Washington from Oakland (6A) was the #1 overall player. 14 of the top 25

In 2020, Jay Hardy from D2 McCallie was the #1 overall player. He does not count on this list but 18 of the top 25 players attended public schools.

5A: 5

6A: 12

In the class of 2021, Hardin County's (4A) Hudson Wolfe is the #1 overall player in our  state. 15 of the top 25 players are currently enrolled at public schools.

5A: 1

6A: 11

Great info. Still doesnt say anything to wether the kids meet the size and speed colleges are looking for.  You are also only looking at the top 25 in the state. If you pull the schools these kids come from about 50% probably come from the same 10-15 schools every yr. you know why?  Because these days kids move all the time to get to schools that win all the time. Also to find competition. Doesnt matter the size of the school - - 

only size and speed Of the kid matter

10 hours ago, TornadoLeadRecruiter said:

Great info. Still doesnt say anything to wether the kids meet the size and speed colleges are looking for.  You are also only looking at the top 25 in the state. If you pull the schools these kids come from about 50% probably come from the same 10-15 schools every yr. you know why?  Because these days kids move all the time to get to schools that win all the time. Also to find competition. Doesnt matter the size of the school - - 

only size and speed Of the kid matter

Your are right to an extent. No college knows it's backyard better than their own. I was told by someone in the program that UT has been burned more times than not over it's own backyard so they take extra steps to avoid the same trap they have fallen into many other times. They do consider the area as a whole not up to par with others. Even though Alcoa and Maryville dominate in high school football and have for so long has to do with second to none great coaching staffs, great financial backing and great kids who get it between the ears yet the two schools have a kid going to UT maybe every 10 years. I could waste my time doing the research for all of us only to have someone like you to kill it with one word. The list of failed players from this area far out number the ones who did make it. When I said something about the kid from Coalfield it was mentioned there was more to it which I know but the very next day a friend that is in the know about the situation told me I was 100% right and just plainly said the kid just wasn't mean enough to play that level. Consider me as a football pinata and if you hit me with a stick hard enough on here I'll bust wide open and spill all the candy like it or not because that's why your swinging the stick so don't get upset when I do.