TSSAA ED says fate of high school football unknown as of now

hardtackle

1 hour ago, LINEDAD said:

OPTION ON THE TABLE TO FLIP SPORTS

PLAY BASEBALL IN THE FALL (NON CONTACT) AND FOOTBALL IN THE SPRING

This would be a nightmare for some schools. Imagine early college enrollees choosing to leave at Christmas for college spring practice rather than playing their high school season or a kid sitting out their spring football season as to not get injured for enrolling in college in the summer for summer workouts. What college coach would want their signees playing 12 games in the spring..makes no sense. 

TSSAA will vote next Wednesday on how to proceed.

Option 1 - Seven-game regular season with the regular 32-team playoff brackets for Division I. The playoffs would start as scheduled. TSSAA would set the region schedules, scrapping the original schedule that coaches made. Teams that did not make the playoffs would be allowed to play two more games for a total of nine games during the season.

Option 2 - Eight-game season with a 16-team playoff bracket for Division I. Only the region champion and runner-up would make the playoffs. The first week of the playoffs would be the final week of the regular season. TSSAA would again set the region schedule. Teams that did not make the playoffs would be allowed to play two more games for a total of ten games during the season.

Option 3 - Nine-game season with an eight-team playoff bracket for Division I. Only the region champion would make the playoffs. The first two weeks of playoffs would be the final two regular season games. The schools would keep their current schedule with the schedule starting with Week 5, and then going back to play Week 3 games on Nov. 6 and Week 4 games on Nov. 13. Teams that did not make the playoffs would be allowed to play one additional game for a total of ten games during the season.

Childress also noted that cross country, golf, and volleyball can continue to follow the standard TSSAA calendar and start their seasons as they would any other year.

Edited by osunut2
Clarification on additional games for non-playoff teams

5 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

If they play football this fall, how unhappy are some that have commented on this thread gonna be?  

IF?  I hope they do. I would not be happy if they didn't play ,but they are not playing yet, just preparing. I f the governor decides August 29 to extend till Sept 30 what will happen then? So now schools have eight weeks to condition and lift. That is a long time ,same length as season. I think the only people that may be unhappy is all the football fans if season is cancelled.

Edited by fb247

21 hours ago, sportsguy22 said:

If football gets canceled but volleyball is allowed to play, the TSSAA will have a complete mess on its hands! The football coaches will go ballistic.

You are either trolling or just plain naive at this point.  To compare contact sports like football and soccer (where blood, sweat, and spit can be passed on contact) to volleyball where girls never touch an opponent and very rarely touch their teammates is ridiculous to say the least.   I'm not promoting a volleyball season but I am promoting all sports be looked at separately and decisions be made on a sport by sport basis. 

Next you'll be comparing wrestling to golf.

28 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

TSSAA will vote next Wednesday on how to proceed.

Option 1 - Seven-game regular season with the regular 32-team playoff brackets for Division I. The playoffs would start as scheduled. TSSAA would set the region schedules, scrapping the original schedule that coaches made. Teams that did not make the playoffs would be allowed to play two more games for a total of nine games during the season.

Option 2 - Eight-game season with a 16-team playoff bracket for Division I. Only the region champion and runner-up would make the playoffs. The first week of the playoffs would be the final week of the regular season. TSSAA would again set the region schedule.

Option 3 - Nine-game season with an eight-team playoff bracket for Division I. Only the region champion would make the playoffs. The first two weeks of playoffs would be the final two regular season games. The schools would keep their current schedule with the schedule starting with Week 5, and then going back to play Week 3 games on Nov. 6 and Week 4 games on Nov. 13.

Childress also noted that cross country, golf, and volleyball can continue to follow the standard TSSAA calendar and start their seasons as they would any other year.

I can't see Option 3 happening whatsoever. No chance coaches would be for only the Region Champion making the playoffs. So, I could see Option 1 or 2. I'm guessing the coaches will opt for Option 1, so the top four teams from each Region will still go the playoffs. It's hard to see the majority of coaches going for Option 2 with only 2 teams advancing to the playoffs, although I can understand it and would be ok with it personally. What would be weird, though, is teams that miss the playoffs will get in an extra two games (either 9 or 10 total) and the playoff teams that are eliminated in the first week only get 8 or 9 total games...but oh well I guess. What a weird situation!!

34 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

If they play football this fall, how unhappy are some that have commented on this thread gonna be?  

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think anyone WANTS football to be cancelled, Wave. We wouldn't be active on this message board if we didn't enjoy football.

23 minutes ago, TeeterTot2 said:

You are either trolling or just plain naive at this point.  To compare contact sports like football and soccer (where blood, sweat, and spit can be passed on contact) to volleyball where girls never touch an opponent and very rarely touch their teammates is ridiculous to say the least.   I'm not promoting a volleyball season but I am promoting all sports be looked at separately and decisions be made on a sport by sport basis. 

Next you'll be comparing wrestling to golf.

Volleyball players attack the net at the same time and get very close to each other.  This happens all the time in Volleyball.  Sweat and spit will be transmitted when this happens.  Perhaps you have a daughter who plays this sport so you are going to give them a pass.  All kids in all sports should be allowed to compete if they sign a release waiver.  

13 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think anyone WANTS football to be cancelled, Wave. We wouldn't be active on this message board if we didn't enjoy football.

Correct. People assume you don’t want a season if you present various possibilities and scenarios.  It does no good to stick your head in the sand and not consider things may not work out. Nobody would take the time to be active on this message board if they didn’t love high school sports. 

• CoachT locked this topic