Week 11 -- Alcoa at D-B (Rivalry Thursday)

TribalEmpire

8 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

No, I include the NET 5A schools as well, none of them take football seriously.    For instance, tonight we will get a win over Cherokee and then go down to Knoxville next week and be one and done.   But hey, we made the playoffs so it was a good year, now get those roundballs out.

Well we were told for years that there just isn't the athletes in upper east tn. to compete with the rest of the state. Then came Greeneville and Elizabethton to blow that myth out of the water. They took it seriously and built a ground up system. I can't comment on Boone or their "system" or if they have one. At DB they said 6 years ago that they were ramping up the little league coaching and getting more involved in the middle schools. To date nothing has improved. Very poor coaching leading up to high school. 

1 hour ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Well we were told for years that there just isn't the athletes in upper east tn. to compete with the rest of the state. Then came Greeneville and Elizabethton to blow that myth out of the water. They took it seriously and built a ground up system. I can't comment on Boone or their "system" or if they have one. At DB they said 6 years ago that they were ramping up the little league coaching and getting more involved in the middle schools. To date nothing has improved. Very poor coaching leading up to high school. 

You are exactly right because we have great coaches at TA Dugger and when they get to high school they know the system like the back of there hand.

1 hour ago, WaCoJaCo said:

A few years ago Ridgeview Elementary (grades K-8) had a football team that was winning games by an average of 50 without trying to run up the score.    All the Boone sheeple got so excited, just give these guys 3 or 4 years and we are going to make it big time....    Only 2 players from that team ever played high school ball.    And you're right, whatever Greeneville and Elizabethton are doing is working and what the NET 5A/6A schools are doing is not.

1 hour ago, lawnman said:

You are exactly right because we have great coaches at TA Dugger and when they get to high school they know the system like the back of there hand.

Also when they get to the 9th grade they know that a personal foul is 15 yards in the wrong direction, and three personal fouls is 45 yards in the wrong direction, and 45 yards is worth 6 points. They also know that if a receiver gets 5 yards past you thats also worth 6 points. Just those two things right there makes the Elizabethton system 14 points better than the DB & SH system come game time. 

Edited by WaCoJaCo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Very true.  You look at any program that is winning championships or going deep in the playoffs year after year and you will see it is built from the ground up.  Greeneville use to not be that way (I've been on both sides of it and in the middle of the transition my Senior Year).  The head middle school coach use to be a coach at the high school and coordinated the O and D so you already know the fundamentals, 75% of the play book, work ethic, etc.  Greeneville and TA Dugger have fought it out for that Conference championship and whoever wins usually has the upper hand in high school.  Luckily this year GMS beat TA Dugger on stopped 2 point conversion to finish 10-0.  Coaching and Culture from the ground up gives you a leg up once they get to high school, then it's more about getting bigger, stronger, faster instead of coaching fundamentals about football  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SWVAHavokFan said:

This... unless Bearden beats Johnson City tonight and gift wraps the 1 seed to D-B, then I think the Tribe, sadly, will be one and done.

Bearden held up its end of the bargain so guess we’ll see what DB can do. SH may have DB’s number but they’re choke city when it comes to closing out a title against a team with a losing record. 

Do any of you claiming it’s all coaching think Christian wouldn’t win 9 out of 10 times if he and Rankin swapped rosters?  I don’t. I’m not saying he’s just as good a coach (although I do think he’s a good coach), but any difference there would be more than outweighed by the difference in the rosters IMO, which is substantial.  On rare occasions DB has had the athletes to contend for a state title, but year in and year out they do not, IMO, and this year is not one of those rare occasions.  Hope we can win a couple in the playoffs tho.

• Upvote 1