Who still remembers these East Tennessee Teams that are long gone and last year played.

BarneySox2007

On 2/6/2021 at 6:00 PM, BarneySox2007 said:

LaFollette Owls 75, Jacksboro Eagles 75, Everett Bulldogs 76, Walland Indians 76, Townsend Tigers 76, Young Yellow Jackets 75, Knox South Rockets 75, Rhea Central Yellow Jackets 73, Huntsville Golden Bears 70, Englewood Rams 65, Etowah Piledrivers 65, Spring City Bulldogs 73, Lanier Eagles 78, Porter Panthers 78, Friendsville Falcons 78, Jefferson City Elks 74, Maury Hornets 74, Gatlinburg Mountain Lions 62, South Harriman Pirates 62, Homestead Bulldogs 61,Knoxville High Trojans 50, Stair Tech Tigers 50, Knox East Mountaineers 67, Austin Panthers 67, Hall Blue Devils 67, Church Hill Panthers 79, Ketron Wildcats 79, Sullivan Pirates 79, Rogersville Warriors 79, Lynn View Lynx 79, Boones Creek Bars 70, Lake City Lakers 82, Jonesboro Tigers 70, Rule Golden Bears 90, Knox Holston Warriors 90, Knox South-Young Trojans 90, Knox Doyle Pioneers 90, Maynardville Red Devils 92, Harrison-Chilhowee Lions 92, Vonore Blue Devils 94, Madisonville Tornadoes 94, Powell Valley Indians 03, Rutledge Pioneers 07, Charleston Panthers 2000.

reading all of those names reminds me of watching the local news give the high school football scores back in the day.   Question, I am assuming that South-Young and Doyle became South Doyle,  did South-Young get formed from Knox South?

4 hours ago, ChineseFlu said:

reading all of those names reminds me of watching the local news give the high school football scores back in the day.   Question, I am assuming that South-Young and Doyle became South Doyle,  did South-Young get formed from Knox South?

Yes South and Young went in together for the 1976-77 school year. South was one of the new schools that replaced the old Knoxville High School starting in the 1951-52 school year. They were only in service for 25 years and South-Young for just 15 years. Knoxville let the old South High almost rot down and even sold it to a someone who had more dollars than cents and let it even get worse until numerous lawsuits and retained it back and sold it to developers that restored it to a senior living home. Go to Southhighknoxville.com to view a nice video of the great job they did in saving this old school building. The old Young High was down the road about a mile on Chapman Highway and W. Young High Pike where a Kroger Shopping Center now sets on the same property. A Dr. Young donated this property to build Young High back in the 1920's is how that name came into play.

On 2/7/2021 at 10:26 AM, orngnblk said:

Oh wow!Some Memories here.I played against Maynardville,Harrison- Chilhowee,Vonore,Madisonville,Powell Valley,Rutledge and Charleston.Just driving by alot of those fields where rec league ball is played makes me pull over and reminisce.Hard to believe some of them are gone.

Good ole days wasn’t it big guy?

11 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Yes South and Young went in together for the 1976-77 school year. South was one of the new schools that replaced the old Knoxville High School starting in the 1951-52 school year. They were only in service for 25 years and South-Young for just 15 years. Knoxville let the old South High almost rot down and even sold it to a someone who had more dollars than cents and let it even get worse until numerous lawsuits and retained it back and sold it to developers that restored it to a senior living home. Go to Southhighknoxville.com to view a nice video of the great job they did in saving this old school building. The old Young High was down the road about a mile on Chapman Highway and W. Young High Pike where a Kroger Shopping Center now sets on the same property. A Dr. Young donated this property to build Young High back in the 1920's is how that name came into play.

:thumb: one thing is for sure, time waits for no one

4 hours ago, ChineseFlu said:

:thumb: one thing is for sure, time waits for no one

I really love high school football and I'm surrounded by a lot of great friends that are also. I've always been intrigued by the past and paid attention when I was told something by people much older than me that are long gone now that can't tell those stories anymore. I just hope that what I can add from my knowledge of the past will be of interest to others down the road and it don't get buried and lost forever. It's fun to look back in the past and see how we got to the place we're at today and the one's that were apart of getting us there.

15 hours ago, TheAmbassador said:

Good ole days wasn’t it big guy?

Oh without a doubt.When I see that old field at Charleston just ran down to nothing it gets me.I remember some VERY talented kids playing for the Panthers.All these teams are just gone.Makes you proud when you can go back home every Fri night.

54 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

Oh without a doubt.When I see that old field at Charleston just ran down to nothing it gets me.I remember some VERY talented kids playing for the Panthers.All these teams are just gone.Makes you proud when you can go back home every Fri night.

You should see Walland's field. They still mow the field but let the fence all grow up around the field and the stands have trees growing right through them. You can't see the scoreboard because it's been over taken by wild growth. The Goal Post on one end has at one time been hit by a falling tree and put a big one foot bend in the crossbar. The press box will eventually follow because the roof looks shot. The bathrooms are all grown over and ready to fall in. It even looked like someone went four wheeling on the football field with a truck and has torn the field up. I'm surprised some of the guys I knew that went there hadn't went up there and cleaned it up before nature takes it over. Very sad to see.