Jay Gore steps down at McGavock

6 hours ago, bleacher said:

McGavock will be competitive within 2 years if Bobby Baskin is hired.

That statement is delusional at best. They dressed about 30 by the end of the season this year and that is after EVERYONE passed last spring.  Baskin doesn't move the needle with who matters most, the middle school kids that are all being pulled elsewhere. They don't come to their zoned school nothing changes.

fb247 is right. There could be competitive teams across the board if Metro would go back to zones. But they will not and so neither will there be more than 4 teams. 5 more years half the schools will be in a co-op situation. Metro leadership has destroyed the school system both athletically and academically.

• Upvote 2

No disrespect buy Bobby cant fix that job. They need some new blood. Mcg is one of the biggest schools in the state with 30 kids. Its not cause they lack them, its about relationships and selling your program. If you sit back and let PC keep taking your kids then how can you complain. PC or MCg , the choice is not hard especially if you didnt try to build a relationship with your feeder schools. 

On 5/20/2021 at 1:16 PM, bleacher said:

McGavock will be competitive within 2 years if Bobby Baskin is hired.

Forgive me, but they haven’t been competitive even once in the 40 years that I have followed Tennessee high school football that I can recall. Despite being among the state’s largest schools.

• Like 1

Baskin has much experience and tremendous knowledge. He has great rapport with players after they learn they can trust him. I believe he can organize and lead his staff. The only quality he lacks in bringing success to McGavock is possibly recruiting. Recruiting kids in your feeder schools is necessary in this day. Perhaps he could find a young coach or coaches who could assist in that area. 

On 5/21/2021 at 7:44 PM, chs1984 said:

Forgive me, but they haven’t been competitive even once in the 40 years that I have followed Tennessee high school football that I can recall. Despite being among the state’s largest schools.

They had a couple of pretty good years. I'm going to say like 2014 and 2015. I know in 14 they beat a very good Franklin team.

Edited by MidStateFan1

I don’t know all that much about metro football. I just remember that when I was in Tennessee the 4 largest schools in the state every year were them, Riverdale, Oakland and Bradley Central. You would think a school that large would stumble upon a good team once in a blue moon. Even a blind squirrel.........

3 hours ago, chs1984 said:

I don’t know all that much about metro football. I just remember that when I was in Tennessee the 4 largest schools in the state every year were them, Riverdale, Oakland and Bradley Central. You would think a school that large would stumble upon a good team once in a blue moon. Even a blind squirrel.........

You can't go by enrollment alone. Cookeville is one of the top 5 largest schools and they lose to 3A Upperman. Have a couple of blind squirrel years about 15 years ago.

Baskin has no rapport with the kids McGavock has to have to compete. They are all going to the 4 mentioned earlier.  He is also a  step down in pure football knowledge from Gore. The problem at McGavock has not been a scheme problem, it is a Jimmys and Joes problem and Baskin has no cure for that. 

In five years half the programs in Metro will not be able to finish a season. Kids now will not stick around a losing program. Easier to quit.

Edited by MichaelMyers76