D2 AAA

plato

1 hour ago, VOLHAWK said:

I would love 2 see the championship games moved to UT or Vanderbilt. You would think exposure of your college would be smart.

By playing the games in Nashville you would have a much larger walkup crowd.  You have roughly 2 million people that call Nashville and Middle Tennessee home.  Everyone knows that the TSSAA and their Board of Control have zero business experience and do not have a clue as to how athletics should be promoted.

Just now, O3t said:

How many teams make the playoffs is decided by the schools not the TSSAA.  However, I agree it is silly for everyone to make the playoffs.

If a team does not have a winning record within their region they should not participate in the playoffs

Just now, cbg said:

If a team does not have a winning record within their region they should not participate in the playoffs

Again, I don't disagree.  I'm just saying your beef is with the schools that decided that, not the TSSAA.  There are plenty of other things to complain about the TSSAA though :)

1 hour ago, cbg said:

For a team that does not have a winning record within their region to qualify for the playoffs is stupid.  This is nothing more than the T$$AA trying to make more money.  If the T$$AA would put everyone back together (Public & Private schools) into five classifications you would immediately create much more interest in high school sports again and the attendance at games would increase.  As an example, look at the overflow crowd at the Oakland vs Lipscomb regular season game!  The state championship game in D16A will not have over 5000 fans in attendance.  If the Oakland vs Lipscomb game was for the state championship and played at Vanderbilt there is a good chance that the attendance would have been close to 20,000.  

Every team makes it because the entire division is less than 16 teams. Would you rather they take the top 4 and just have two weeks of playoffs?

D1 and D2 will never be back together again. Ever.

The real truth is that there should only be 4 classes in publics and 2 in privates. 350+ and below 350.

However, there are too many that whine because they don't think that gives them a chance to win. Although the reality is they more than likely still don't have a chance with too many classes.

A Lipscomb/McCallie game would be a great game, but would not be a great draw. Still should be the large class championship game, but Roller set that up for Lippy several years ago when they could not compete.

2 hours ago, cbg said:

By playing the games in Nashville you would have a much larger walkup crowd.  You have roughly 2 million people that call Nashville and Middle Tennessee home.  Everyone knows that the TSSAA and their Board of Control have zero business experience and do not have a clue as to how athletics should be promoted.

I'm optimistic about Chattanooga.  I read some of their plan and their goal is to make the event fun and interactive around the stadium and designed to generate a walk-up crowd.  Still when you cram 9 state title games into 3 days, probably only Saturday is the best chance to draw a walk-up crowd of any significance.  This year, CPA-Lipscomb (should they meet for the title as expected) would be one of the most interesting games of the year for the championship, but it will be held (I assume) Thursday afternoon so pretty minimal chance for it to generate a walk-up crowd.  Seems like the TSSAA solves its annual problem of low attendance at championship games by just adding more games (and tickets sold).

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Every team makes it because the entire division is less than 16 teams. Would you rather they take the top 4 and just have two weeks of playoffs?

D1 and D2 will never be back together again. Ever.

The real truth is that there should only be 4 classes in publics and 2 in privates. 350+ and below 350.

However, there are too many that whine because they don't think that gives them a chance to win. Although the reality is they more than likely still don't have a chance with too many classes.

A Lipscomb/McCallie game would be a great game, but would not be a great draw. Still should be the large class championship game, but Roller set that up for Lippy several years ago when they could not compete.

Several responses:  1.  Yes, I don’t care if you only have 3 teams with a winning record you have a 3 team playoff.  Teams that go 0-5 and a BBQ or 1-4 need to move on to basketball or wrestling.  They were not good enough in football to participate in the playoffs. This is nothing more than a money grab for the TSSAA.  2.  The real truth is that everyone (public & private schools) should be placed back together in no more than 5 classifications.  The population base in Tennessee is not large enough to support more than five different classifications.  3.  A team “EARNS” the opportunity to win a championship.  So many people today are crybabies about how things are not fair.  Life is never going to be fair for everyone.  As a former public school kid that was a little redneck I am telling you that people need to grow and set and start fighting and out working their competition.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Indian said:

5 classes (or 6), 1 division would be acceptable to me if the private schools were in the top classes-plus proven recruiting was dealt with harshly. Not just taking away scrimmages. 

Everyone together

Class A. Small public schools and absolutely no private, magnet, charter or open zoned schools

Class AA public schools and private schools that do not offer financial aid or work study

Class AAA public and private schools that do not offer financial aid or work study

Class AAAA public schools and small private schools that offer financial aid

Class AAAAA public schools and large private schools that offer financial aid

21 hours ago, Navy21412 said:

I'm optimistic about Chattanooga.  I read some of their plan and their goal is to make the event fun and interactive around the stadium and designed to generate a walk-up crowd.  Still when you cram 9 state title games into 3 days, probably only Saturday is the best chance to draw a walk-up crowd of any significance.  This year, CPA-Lipscomb (should they meet for the title as expected) would be one of the most interesting games of the year for the championship, but it will be held (I assume) Thursday afternoon so pretty minimal chance for it to generate a walk-up crowd.  Seems like the TSSAA solves its annual problem of low attendance at championship games by just adding more games (and tickets sold).

will be a better walk up crowd than up on the cumberland plattoe....

theres no chance that anyone other than the presbyterians and christ church of lipscomb plays for the D2-AA Gold Ball......that same game is played this friday if that thursday date is problem...

.....chatter is that T$$AA is movin the D2-AA gold ball game to saturday prime time and the Oakland-Summit contest to the saturday 1530 time slot

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

51 minutes ago, Booger said:

will be a better walk up crowd than up on the cumberland plattoe....

theres no chance that anyone other than the presbyterians and christ church of lipscomb plays for the D2-AA Gold Ball......that same game is played this friday if that thursday date is problem...

.....chatter is that T$$AA is movin the D2-AA gold ball game to saturday prime time and the Oakland-Summit contest to the saturday 1530 time slot

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

I was excited to see the game moved to Chattanooga.  Great small city that has everything you need as a visitor.  I agree, there will be more walk up ticket sales, but there will also be more folks staying a day or two than you think.  NO ONE that I know wants to stay a night or two in Cookville.  No ill will towards the town, but it doesn't compare to Chattanooga.  

Can't move it back to Nashville as families can't afford the $400 a night rooms...or you can stay in Cookville and drive in....and yes...the weekend rate here is $400ish.

2 hours ago, PurplePanther said:

I was excited to see the game moved to Chattanooga.  Great small city that has everything you need as a visitor.  I agree, there will be more walk up ticket sales, but there will also be more folks staying a day or two than you think.  NO ONE that I know wants to stay a night or two in Cookville.  No ill will towards the town, but it doesn't compare to Chattanooga.  

Can't move it back to Nashville as families can't afford the $400 a night rooms...or you can stay in Cookville and drive in....and yes...the weekend rate here is $400ish.

All of the above + the facilities at TTU were atrocious. Other than the scoreboard, there is no redeeming quality about it being there. 

I was always told that Cookeville (or whatever entity represents the city) made revenue guarantees to the TSSAA that other cities weren't willing to match.  I.e., whatever they missed on ticket sales, they would just past the hat around in Cookeville and make up the difference if they were short.  And that's why the kept the BCB for so long.  No one that I ever talked to liked the games being there--coaches, administrators, fans.  I never really minded it the couple of times I have been; it just wasn't conducive for crowds.  No walk-up crowd at all, and no really good reason for all but the die-hard fans to make that trip.

I always thought if you are going to play it in a small town like Cookeville then at least rotate the games among a couple of different small towns.  Or split them up among a couple of locations each year so that some teams aren't playing on Thursday morning.  I know it was broached a number of times with the TSSAA by private schools to stage their BCB at another location (with the TSSAA getting the same economics) and it was a non-starter.