Oakland best team ever in Tn

StarBright87

1980 Oak Ridge, 13 - 0, score 465 - 102,   1986 Austin East, 15 - 0, score 546 - 91,   1988 Brentwood Academy, 15 - 0, score 594 - 99,     1993 Cleveland, 15 - 0, score 630 - 111,     1994 Marion County, 15 - 0, score 633 - 57,    1994 Riverdale, 15 - 0, score 620 - 58,   1995 Brentwood Academy, 15 - 0, score 575 - 121.

Edited by sportsfan53ray

5 hours ago, Meat99 said:

Top 10 Teams 

1. 2012 Ensworth 
  2. 2011 Maryville 
  3. 2004 Riverdale 
  4. 2007 MBA 
  5. 1996 Brentwood Academy 
  6. 1994 Riverdale 
  7. 1993 Lincoln Co
  8. 1981 Overton 
  9. 2009 MUS 
  10. 2015 Independence

Cleveland not being in your top 10 at all proves the irrelevance of this list

2 hours ago, TnBear said:

In all reality no it does not. If we are going to be honest about this, the list of "best teams ever" would more than likely be absolutely dominated with D2 teams. 2008-2009 MUS, 2011-2013 ensworth, 2015-2017 BA, 1998-2000 MBA and that is just a few examples I can think of. Every single one of those teams more than likely beat any public team throughout TN history during their perspective run. Although I will say that within the last 4-5 years, the talent gap between public and private has shrunk significantly for several reasons, so I think going forward publics will have the potential to be just as dominant or even better than most privates. Another issue people do not realize teams since I would say about the mid to late 2000's are incredibly more athletically superior to teams of the past. Kids now are bigger, faster, stronger, and generally know the game and their assignments better bc of advancements in film study. Also, teams now are running concepts on both offense and defense that teams back then would more than likely have no way to defend as they would have never seen them before, or wouldn't be able to bc of lack of athletic ability. 

4 hours ago, 6one5 said:

In all reality no it does not. If we are going to be honest about this, the list of "best teams ever" would more than likely be absolutely dominated with D2 teams. 2008-2009 MUS, 2011-2013 ensworth, 2015-2017 BA, 1998-2000 MBA and that is just a few examples I can think of. Every single one of those teams more than likely beat any public team throughout TN history during their perspective run. Although I will say that within the last 4-5 years, the talent gap between public and private has shrunk significantly for several reasons, so I think going forward publics will have the potential to be just as dominant or even better than most privates. Another issue people do not realize teams since I would say about the mid to late 2000's are incredibly more athletically superior to teams of the past. Kids now are bigger, faster, stronger, and generally know the game and their assignments better bc of advancements in film study. Also, teams now are running concepts on both offense and defense that teams back then would more than likely have no way to defend as they would have never seen them before, or wouldn't be able to bc of lack of athletic ability. 

I can't disagree today athletes are bigger, faster and stronger but I think it's balancing out when CTE was brought to the forefront and dominated the sports media a lot of athletes hung up their jerseys and every team took a hit across the board, you could tell in every team roster size. Then the number of CTE cases started to decline and players started to educate themselves on it, then Covid took over, that took a hit on high school football, so today athletes are better but I think teams of 90's and further back were deeper because everybody played 

16 minutes ago, StarBright87 said:

I can't disagree today athletes are bigger, faster and stronger but I think it's balancing out when CTE was brought to the forefront and dominated the sports media a lot of athletes hung up their jerseys and every team took a hit across the board, you could tell in every team roster size. Then the number of CTE cases started to decline and players started to educate themselves on it, then Covid took over, that took a hit on high school football, so today athletes are better but I think teams of 90's and further back were deeper because everybody played 

Not sure if this matters but it is somewhat related..... fan support seemed way better 30 years ago too.     Perhaps it's too many other things you could be doing on Friday nights than to bundle up and watch football.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

This thread is pretty long now, but has anyone mentioned the 1986 Halls Red Devils?

I think I saw Oak Ridge play Halls that year. Don't remember much but they had a player who was a legacy player. Meaning his family had other siblings play for Halls, I think it was close scoreing with Halls winning.'

13 hours ago, TnBear said:

You mean the 93-95’ Cleveland teams with 180lbs O-Lineman And 160Lbs LB’s to go along with Stepfon Woods?  No disrespect to what they did during that era, but I think I’ll Stick to the list of teams loaded with D1 talent that also Dominated. 

The argument goes both ways. Doubt many of these huge linemen could make the lineup playing by the 1960's rulebook. Now it is legal to reach and grab and block way past the line of scrimmage on passing downs. Not the same game. Look at the scores. Athletes were just as athletic in the 60's, just get more training and coaching now days. The speed factor is mostly a result of integration.

1 hour ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

I think I saw Oak Ridge play Halls that year. Don't remember much but they had a player who was a legacy player. Meaning his family had other siblings play for Halls, I think it was close scoreing with Halls winning.'

Halls squeaked by OR 7-6 in the 2nd game on their way to 15-0.    I remember seeing them play DB in the playoffs that year, they moved it to the minidome at ETSU due to bad weather.    DB was loaded but Halls destroyed them.