Oakland best team ever in Tn

StarBright87

1 hour ago, REBELRON said:

I remember a Daily Times article describing Cleveland before the Maryville vs Cleveland game in 1993. They said Cleveland had more speed than Alcoa with linemen bigger than Heritage. Cleveland wasn't small at al. I remember seeing one of Cleveland Olineman with a full beard and big, I also remember Cleveland having a huge tithe end. 

Pretty accurate description. Jeff Thompson was a MAN that year. Big like Nick Black/Jay Guillermo but a state champion wrestler when there were no public/private splits. 2x finalist (?) and controlled his side of the line almost every play.

1 hour ago, JSamson7 said:

He was definitely a STUD. They had a lot on the '93 team. Carlos Thompson was on that team too, another STUD. No one ever confused him of being small.

Carlos made what remains the hardest hit I ever saw in high school in a game at Clinton. That was the year after Clinton made the state finals, and Cleveland led 44-6 at halftime. 

14 hours ago, REBELRON said:

I remember a Daily Times article describing Cleveland before the Maryville vs Cleveland game in 1993. They said Cleveland had more speed than Alcoa with linemen bigger than Heritage. Cleveland wasn't small at al. I remember seeing one of Cleveland Olineman with a full beard and big, I also remember Cleveland having a huge tithe end. 

I worked for Coca-Cola at that time and Maryville high was part of my route.Jim Campbell and I were good friends,he knew I was a Greenback grad and loved football.We went in his office and he asked me to watch the best high school football team he had ever seen and it was these Cleveland teams I was dumbfounded at how good those teams were.Still one of if not the best I had ever watched.Good Lord the were good!And yes they were LARGE!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, orngnblk said:

I worked for Coca-Cola at that time and Maryville high was part of my route.Jim Campbell and I were good friends,he knew I was a Greenback grad and loved football.We went in his office and he asked me to watch the best high school football team he had ever seen and it was these Cleveland teams I was dumbfounded at how good those teams were.Still one of if not the best I had ever watched.Good Lord the were good!And yes they were LARGE!!

The most impressive thing about that 93 Cleveland team was the speed. We sat in the stands and guessed how many plays it took them to score. It wasn't many. I saw them play Brentwood Academy in the State Title Game.  Best game I ever seen.  Brentwood Academy had a great team that year. 

On 10/23/2021 at 10:57 PM, 6one5 said:

In all reality no it does not. If we are going to be honest about this, the list of "best teams ever" would more than likely be absolutely dominated with D2 teams. 2008-2009 MUS, 2011-2013 ensworth, 2015-2017 BA, 1998-2000 MBA and that is just a few examples I can think of. Every single one of those teams more than likely beat any public team throughout TN history during their perspective run. Although I will say that within the last 4-5 years, the talent gap between public and private has shrunk significantly for several reasons, so I think going forward publics will have the potential to be just as dominant or even better than most privates. Another issue people do not realize teams since I would say about the mid to late 2000's are incredibly more athletically superior to teams of the past. Kids now are bigger, faster, stronger, and generally know the game and their assignments better bc of advancements in film study. Also, teams now are running concepts on both offense and defense that teams back then would more than likely have no way to defend as they would have never seen them before, or wouldn't be able to bc of lack of athletic ability. 

I think you make some good points.  For example, as I mentioned before, that Ensworth team from either '11 or '12 had Taverres Jefferson, Corn Elder, and Orleans Darkwa all in the same backfield.  Jefferson played at MTSU, Darkwa at Tulane and Elder at Miami.  Both Darkwa and Elder played in the NFL.  I can't imagine another team in TN history had two guys in the same backfield that played in the NFL.  I think from '98-'00 the only game that MBA lost was at Jackonsville Bolles in a literal hurricane.  And I agree with difference in size, speed, training, coaching today versus the old days.  

On the other hand, none of the teams today (public or private) had to survive the gauntlet of the old 3-class playoffs.  Just for grins I took a look at those '92 3A play-offs.  It's incredible what it was like back then.  9-1 Maryville lost in the first round.  Undefeated Cleveland played undefeated Riverdale in the second round....That undefeated Stratford team beat 8-2 MBA in the first round, and was honestly one of the historically great Metro teams going into the play-offs of all time and lost to HC in the 2nd round.  I don't think anyone in the field had a worse record than 8-2; all the teams in there were really good.  Public/private you had MBA, Father Ryan, Baylor and CBHS in there...CBHS made it the furthest to the quarters.  Times change, probably for the better....but those were some amazing play-offs back then.  Nothing like that today.