Oakland best team ever in Tn

StarBright87

32 minutes ago, PurplePanther said:

Well said!  What do you think the average weight of the O/D lines was back in the 80's/90's?  They would be RBs today.

You go back far enough and a 200 pound lineman was a big guy in the NFL.That's why one of the greatest athletes of all time was Jim Thorpe at around 6'1 and 200 pounds.Back then,he would have been like a guy today at 6'8 325 running a 4.3 or just something crazy like that. Just a monster for his time and he was great at everything he done. 

16 minutes ago, StarBright87 said:

Batman I'm surprised nobody has mentioned your 2018 Greene devils, they were loaded with d1-d2 talent 

It’s because they didn’t play in the largest classification is why I think they haven’t been mentioned.  From that 18 team there are players that are at Army, Wake Forest, Tennessee, Marshall, Furman, 4 at UV-Wise, and Tusculum as of this season.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StarBright87 said:

Batman I'm surprised nobody has mentioned your 2018 Greene devils, they were loaded with d1-d2 talent 

Yeah,that was a very special team and one of the best the Devils have had for sure.Like I say,every year and many other schools have had some great teams,so it's very hard to pinpoint the best of the best.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BatmanDevil said:

You go back far enough and a 200 pound lineman was a big guy in the NFL.That's why one of the greatest athletes of all time was Jim Thorpe at around 6'1 and 200 pounds.Back then,he would have been like a guy today at 6'8 325 running a 4.3 or just something crazy like that. Just a monster for his time and he was great at everything he done. 

From everything I have read, Jim Thorpe would be an all-star even today and probably a lot of it is his mental and physical toughness.

1 hour ago, PurplePanther said:

Well said!  What do you think the average weight of the O/D lines was back in the 80's/90's?  They would be RBs today.

Not quite RB's.    The average HS RB I have seen is < 200 today.    But the lines today probably average 250.     Due to the square/cube law there are extremely few with the DNA to get bigger and faster, and those are the guys who end up playing on Saturday.      I'm not sure what role PED's play in HS athletics now, we all want to think of HS as this pristine pure little plastic bubble but the reality is that it isn't....

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

You're right, the "Best" means the best as of that time period.          In 1950 Tennessee had 3.3 million people, today we are at 6.9M.   Statistically means there are way more guys with superior genetic athletic ability.      In 1950 nobody much lifted weights and did the training they do now.        Maybe they did a lot of cardio back then but not so much with resistance training.         Today you can get good game film on your opponent and technology easily allows you to stop/start, run it very slowly, etc.        So yeah, very hard to compare teams from radically different eras.              I will say that I believe the guys way back then were much tougher than kids today, many of them grew up used to long hard work and were not pampered and showered with everything they want.

You are correct with regards to the population in Tennessee.  Let's be honest and say that the population of the Houston, Texas area is currently 6.4 million and Tennessee is 6.0 million.  Being the best high school football team in Tennessee is like being the city champs of Houston.  

10 minutes ago, cbg said:

You are correct with regards to the population in Tennessee.  Let's be honest and say that the population of the Houston, Texas area is currently 6.4 million and Tennessee is 6.0 million.  Being the best high school football team in Tennessee is like being the city champs of Houston.  

I would love to see Northshore/Oakland or Katy/Oakland.....

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

I would have paid good money to see Oakland v. Greeneville in 2018

So would I, like yall are saying this year Oakland team is very good but probably not the best, I'm just very impressed of what they are doing the last two seasons, the gauntlet of schedule they have beating, and beating a very good Riverdale team twice in a season isn't some small task 

9 minutes ago, StarBright87 said:

So would I, like yall are saying this year Oakland team is very good but probably not the best, I'm just very impressed of what they are doing the last two seasons, the gauntlet of schedule they have beating, and beating a very good Riverdale team twice in a season isn't some small task 

I agree. Their schedule wasn't nearly as daunting last year as it is this year. If they run the table, that's gonna be 7 wins against high level competition. They have a chance to achieve alot of history in the playoffs. That said, they were in a similar position in 2019 and didn't get the job done, so nothing is set in stone

• Like 1