Surprised at the quiet about TSSAA mandated Thursday games

fredjones

1 hour ago, MidTennFootball said:

True, but schools can appeal which game they choose. My hope is that they don't try to move a game on a team that has 4 home games or less

A particular team that I follow had 6 home games this last year. 2 were Memphis teams that didn’t bring anyone so the gates were horrible. 2 more were region opponents that were terrible as well so no one wanted to watch them play. The two others were big rivals that usually draw a big crowd on a Friday. My fear is if they move one of those two games then that would effect the gate revenue even more. 

I was really surprised it took this long for someone to mention it. However, it’s something we don’t want to see stick around forever. I also feel bad for the middle school football, volleyball, and womens soccer because Thursday’s are their day to play, and they usually don’t play on Friday Night to respect High School football.

It’ll be a good thing if TSSAA can find a way to bring some “entertaining” games to the table. Example: Peabody @ Dyersburg would be an intriguing game to watch. 

If two bad teams are playing each other, or a blow out is waiting to happen, the school won’t get the benefit for this money wise. 

It was coming at some point, now it’s here. Not surprised. I’ll be quiet but the “board” is schedule to vote on something any week that’ll likely get passed. Definitely not a huge of that, if and will it get approves.

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

A particular team that I follow had 6 home games this last year. 2 were Memphis teams that didn’t bring anyone so the gates were horrible. 2 more were region opponents that were terrible as well so no one wanted to watch them play. The two others were big rivals that usually draw a big crowd on a Friday. My fear is if they move one of those two games then that would effect the gate revenue even more. 

Very good post.My thoughts also about gate revenue.I know a good handful myself included that cant make Thursdays without asking for time off.

• Upvote 1

It's been mentioned that playing a HS varsity game on Thursdays could hurt middle school attendance. That is a definite truth, especially in small towns where fans attend both kind of games. The other thing is many of the MS game officials are also officials on Friday nights. So are MS games going to have to be moved or cancelled?

4 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I understand, it's not perfect by any means but something had to be done. TSSAA is selecting these games early enough where they can work with the programs on this, or at least I hope so

2 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

I understand, it's not perfect by any means but something had to be done. TSSAA is selecting these games early enough where they can work with the programs on this, or at least I hope so

I hope that they consider that Thursday night is a school night, and keep travel short. I (as a fan) actually love that there will be games on Thursday! When my school plays one of them, I'll have the option of any game in the area on Friday, and when they play on the usual Friday, hopefully one of the teams that I would be interested in seeing would play. There is the potential of lost gate money in playing short on Thursday, as most rival games (big gates) are short. 

I wish that they would allow each school to submit a preference list of about 4 games in order of, and consider these lists when scheduling...hopefully coaches would be wise about their choices.

13 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

I hope that they consider that Thursday night is a school night, and keep travel short. I (as a fan) actually love that there will be games on Thursday! When my school plays one of them, I'll have the option of any game in the area on Friday, and when they play on the usual Friday, hopefully one of the teams that I would be interested in seeing would play. There is the potential of lost gate money in playing short on Thursday, as most rival games (big gates) are short. 

I wish that they would allow each school to submit a preference list of about 4 games in order of, and consider these lists when scheduling...hopefully coaches would be wise about their choices.

Agreed. As a fan, playing on Thursday doesn't bother me. Oakland played 4 games on Thursday or Saturday