Enrollment Numbers

38 minutes ago, Indian said:

You might be surprised. One school a few years ago had about 100 under on the TSSAA listed enrollment compared to what was on the State Dept of Education site a few weeks later. It meant the difference between being 5A and 6A football. 

And you'd be surprised to know just how little "investigating" it would potentially take to clarify. Back when Trezevant was the subject of much conversation regarding TSSAA eligibility, there was a call made to verify the enrollment through the state dept., and their number was significantly different than what was reported to TSSAA. I don't expect them to verify each school, but if there's questions, I don't understand the hesitance by TSSAA to check.

On 9/23/2022 at 6:29 PM, Guy001 said:

I'm not convinced there's a widespread issue with deflating enrollment counts. Those 20-day enrollment numbers aren't just for TSSAA use but broader application. I suspect there's as much (or more) incentive to keep those numbers up as school district funding is based largely on enrollment.

21 hours ago, Indian said:

You might be surprised. One school a few years ago had about 100 under on the TSSAA listed enrollment compared to what was on the State Dept of Education site a few weeks later. It meant the difference between being 5A and 6A football. 

The state gives $5000-6000 per student so most schools aren't going to under report by a wide margin. But if you know the cutoff and are within a handful and have a pro athletic administration it's possible to fudge both numbers. Also, if TSSAA doesn't take the time to double check each school some may report different numbers to the state and TSSAA. 

1 hour ago, Salem said:

The state gives $5000-6000 per student so most schools aren't going to under report by a wide margin. But if you know the cutoff and are within a handful and have a pro athletic administration it's possible to fudge both numbers. Also, if TSSAA doesn't take the time to double check each school some may report different numbers to the state and TSSAA. 

The problem with that logic is that no one knows the cut offs. They don’t determine that until after everyone has reported. 

On 9/25/2022 at 5:40 PM, tradertwo said:

And you'd be surprised to know just how little "investigating" it would potentially take to clarify. Back when Trezevant was the subject of much conversation regarding TSSAA eligibility, there was a call made to verify the enrollment through the state dept., and their number was significantly different than what was reported to TSSAA. I don't expect them to verify each school, but if there's questions, I don't understand the hesitance by TSSAA to check.

Why don't they just use state department information?

2 hours ago, ecu said:

Why don't they just use state department information?

I'm not going to pretend to know that answer...if I had to guess, I'd probably have to say timing. Not sure when state dept. information is due, or if it's a hard and fast number (could change during the year, or even during the semester). If not a set number, schools could turn in a low number, then amend it soon after TSSAA classification is set. It shouldn't be much of a problem however, to cross check TSSAA numbers with state dept. if there's some question.

Edited by tradertwo

11 hours ago, Indian said:

Waiting on Germantown. You know at around 1900-2000 they will be in the highest class in each sport, send it in. 

2EE4BF5E-77AB-4113-A1B5-943A09136402.gif

I believe the 1st week of Oct will tell the tale.  Germantown was part of the 10/02/2020 group that reported last time. 

Seems like "1st week of Oct" was the timeframe....for gathering numbers that is.

Trenton Peabody lacked just on ( 1 ) student from going 2A instead of 1A.  When a school lacks 1-4 students then some type of verification should be applied.  In addition, when a school with about 335 students has an athletic offensive line that averages about 6' 2" and 280 pounds for 6-7 years in a row then something just ain't right.  Trenton Peabody again this year has an offensive line that could go up against any 6A school in the state.  This just does not add up.  I just can't see anyone other than a Trenton Peabody fan disagreeing with me on this.  Once in while a small town school might just happen to have a few classes like that.  It happens.  This was the case with Adamsville for a few years.  Now, with the same coach, all those extra large kids are gone.  Maybe in a few years they'll have another few classes of bigons.  But, for it to go on as long as it has at Peabody just doesn't pass the smell test.