Mase football

City223

7 hours ago, tradertwo said:

The point about MAHS closing, and the kids enrolling at another school (not transferring) is unquestionable...what has people giving MASE the side eye is that the coach and entire team found their way there together, adding to the suspicious circumstances that they were all at MAHS from all over the city (and outlying communities) to begin with. Without the long history of this exact scenario (minus a closure) in Memphis, I doubt that anyone would more than raise an eyebrow, but this same situation plays out every season in Memphis.

For you calling out Southtowner as petty, he's a regular poster on here and has a stellar history of being "above" taking shots at kids or having questionable character...sort of seems petty to me for you to use a terrible situation (closure due to unchecked fraud) involving a bunch of kids to shame folks and suppress conversation about people's suspicions. The man cracked a joke...get off the soap box and lighten up, Francis.

It’s a joke to you ; however it’s not a joke to these families and kids who were affected by adults doing illegal things that cost these kids their rights to a Charter School education that all these parents chose for their kids because of the failing schools in their respective communities.

However all the paperwork was submitted to TSSAA for Student that transferred from MAHS TO MASE!

All of the kids hardships were approve by TSSAA!

Because it wasn’t the kids or Coach fault the school close or they would still have been at MAHS.

As far as the Coach he was out of a job. To think he would go to a Memphis City school is joke! He left the City school system in 2015 to go the Charter School system because of better pay and smaller classroom settings!

If you don’t know all facts then shame on you.

These are Facts that come straight from the TN Department of Education!
MSCS stated that, if the decision to revoke the charter agreement is upheld, MSCS would continue with its closing process which includes community engagement and supporting families to enroll in other schools. MSCS referred to its closing impact report that was presented to the MSCS Board, and the district stated it would host small group conversations with families to provide them with all quality options.

MAHS spoke to the success of the
middle and high schools, and, specifically, if the MAHS Middle and High schools close, many students will be forced to attend lower performing schools. MAHS also indicated that many of the parents have stated that they do not want another option for their children. Principal Brown2 highlighted the students’ gains in English and Math as well as the school focus on social-emotional learning options for students. Dr. Miles3 discussed the way that MAHS addresses student needs academically and shared that MAHS High School experienced a 20% increase in students demonstrating on track or mastery in ELA, and a 9% increase in Math.
While there were no public comments at the public hearing, MAHS submitted 131 written comments after the public hearing by parents, faculty, and staff in support of overturning the decision to revoke the charters for MAHS. MAHS also submitted poll results showing that 189 parents support MAHS remaining open and in opposition to the revocation.

The decision to revoke a charter agreement and ultimately close a school is not one that should be made cavalierly. Public charter schools and local boards of education enter into a charter agreement with the mutual understanding of autonomy for accountability. Terms and assurances are established in the beginning so that all parties are operating from the same understanding, and state law lays out the requirements for charter schools to follow. A party that fails to honor that agreement, violates state law and the agreed-upon assurances in a manner that betrays the public trust cannot remain open. While I believe that the new governing board is well-intentioned in its desire to provide a quality education to its students, I cannot find that the decision of the local board of education is contrary to T.C.A. § 49-13-122 based on a totality of the evidence. Therefore, I recommend that the Commission affirm the MSCS Board of Education’s decision to revoke the agreements for MAHS.
4/1/2022 ___________________________ _____________________
Tess Stovall, Executive Director
Tennessee Public Charter School Commission

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, WildBill2388 said:

It’s a joke to you ; however it’s not a joke to these families and kids who were affected by adults doing illegal things that cost these kids their rights to a Charter School education that all these parents chose for their kids because of the failing schools in their respective communities.

However all the paperwork was submitted to TSSAA for Student that transferred from MAHS TO MASE!

All of the kids hardships were approve by TSSAA!

Because it wasn’t the kids or Coach fault the school close or they would still have been at MAHS.

As far as the Coach he was out of a job. To think he would go to a Memphis City school is joke! He left the City school system in 2015 to go the Charter School system because of better pay and smaller classroom settings!

If you don’t know all facts then shame on you.

These are Facts that come straight from the TN Department of Education!
MSCS stated that, if the decision to revoke the charter agreement is upheld, MSCS would continue with its closing process which includes community engagement and supporting families to enroll in other schools. MSCS referred to its closing impact report that was presented to the MSCS Board, and the district stated it would host small group conversations with families to provide them with all quality options.

MAHS spoke to the success of the
middle and high schools, and, specifically, if the MAHS Middle and High schools close, many students will be forced to attend lower performing schools. MAHS also indicated that many of the parents have stated that they do not want another option for their children. Principal Brown2 highlighted the students’ gains in English and Math as well as the school focus on social-emotional learning options for students. Dr. Miles3 discussed the way that MAHS addresses student needs academically and shared that MAHS High School experienced a 20% increase in students demonstrating on track or mastery in ELA, and a 9% increase in Math.
While there were no public comments at the public hearing, MAHS submitted 131 written comments after the public hearing by parents, faculty, and staff in support of overturning the decision to revoke the charters for MAHS. MAHS also submitted poll results showing that 189 parents support MAHS remaining open and in opposition to the revocation.

The decision to revoke a charter agreement and ultimately close a school is not one that should be made cavalierly. Public charter schools and local boards of education enter into a charter agreement with the mutual understanding of autonomy for accountability. Terms and assurances are established in the beginning so that all parties are operating from the same understanding, and state law lays out the requirements for charter schools to follow. A party that fails to honor that agreement, violates state law and the agreed-upon assurances in a manner that betrays the public trust cannot remain open. While I believe that the new governing board is well-intentioned in its desire to provide a quality education to its students, I cannot find that the decision of the local board of education is contrary to T.C.A. § 49-13-122 based on a totality of the evidence. Therefore, I recommend that the Commission affirm the MSCS Board of Education’s decision to revoke the agreements for MAHS.
4/1/2022 ___________________________ _____________________
Tess Stovall, Executive Director
Tennessee Public Charter School Commission

Nice little novel...well written, and I'm not disagreeing with any of the reasons you stated for the closure, or even the student's desire to attend a charter. What you failed to include was why only the football playing kids wanted to further their charter school education at MASE, and the rest evidently were satisfied with a "Memphis City" (I thought they went bankrupt and were absorbed into Shelby County) education, or chose a different option. You make valid points, but they seem to be relevant to the football team only and not the general population of students from MAHS...if a third of the percentage of non football students had used the same reasoning, MASE's student population would have increased enough to invoke the 20% rule and move them up a classification. You can use the "shame on you" approach to deflect suspicion all you like...it smells like a fish to me.

I don't think any team in Memphis should be in 1A or 2A. It's open enrollment with 900,000 people living in Shelby County. It's not fair to county schools in rural areas like Perry County or small schools that don't have open enrollment. They would get better competition against bigger schools then playing teams that may or may not have any players that have a prayer at going to college to play ball. There are so many kids in the city of Memphis, that all the schools no matter if there are 200 kids or 2,000, they can compete in the upper classes. I hate that MAHS shut down, they were a very good program and was on the rise but now MASE is going to benefit amazingly with having the MAHS team and coaches in their school. 

9 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Nice little novel...well written, and I'm not disagreeing with any of the reasons you stated for the closure, or even the student's desire to attend a charter. What you failed to include was why only the football playing kids wanted to further their charter school education at MASE, and the rest evidently were satisfied with a "Memphis City" (I thought they went bankrupt and were absorbed into Shelby County) education, or chose a different option. You make valid points, but they seem to be relevant to the football team only and not the general population of students from MAHS...if a third of the percentage of non football students had used the same reasoning, MASE's student population would have increased enough to invoke the 20% rule and move them up a classification. You can use the "shame on you" approach to deflect suspicion all you like...it smells like a fish to me.

Again it might smell fishy ; However facts are facts we talking about 14 kids playing football. Now here come the facts if MAHS stays open they would have be in 1 A because the enrollment drop after Covid year! Just how the City school enrollment dropped after Covid. The kids didn’t go to any Memphis City school. The kids  went to the Private schools  or  the municipalities county schools like Bartlett, Arlington, Millington, Collierville  and Houston. With this new voucher law that public funds can be used  and diverted  to private school for tuition. It’s a game changer!

It’s so bad that the City School passed a New rule that if you start in Memphis Shelby County schools you can’t leave and go to Charter without getting it approved by the school board before records are released.

MAHS only had like 250 left after December after the vote came down! I called one of the administrators at MASE he told me about 75 kids from MAHS came to MASE. So your 1/3 rule would not apply here either because a 1/3 of 250 kids equals  83.3333. So stop it please.

Looking at their roster they got some serious size and I'm sure the speed is there as well. Everyone says they play nobody so how battle tested will they be come play off time. Its Memphis so they will def be talented but how well coached are they thats going to play a big role when they face the likes Peabody, Lake co, Mckenzie, and Fayetteville tough road to go through. That side of the bracket having home field advantage where are their games played at? Will they even be able to host come playoff time? 

10 minutes ago, Doc931 said:

Looking at their roster they got some serious size and I'm sure the speed is there as well. Everyone says they play nobody so how battle tested will they be come play off time. Its Memphis so they will def be talented but how well coached are they thats going to play a big role when they face the likes Peabody, Lake co, Mckenzie, and Fayetteville tough road to go through. That side of the bracket having home field advantage where are their games played at? Will they even be able to host come playoff time? 

With recent events and for safety concerns I don't think any playoff games should be played within the city of Memphis.

16 hours ago, Indian said:

At this point things would be easier if magnets and charters moved to Division II.

Absolutely. 

1 hour ago, RexKwonDo said:

With recent events and for safety concerns I don't think any playoff games should be played within the city of Memphis.

Absolutely,

2 hours ago, WildBill2388 said:

I called one of the administrators at MASE he told me about 75 kids from MAHS came to MASE. So your 1/3 rule would not apply here either because a 1/3 of 250 kids equals  83.3333. So stop it please.

I would trust truck stop sushi before I trusted a Memphis charter school administrator.