NIL

mondo44

1 hour ago, cbg said:

I am currently in Texas and rest assured that the public schools in my area (Lake Travis and Westlake) are doing everything and more than the D2 schools in Tennessee.  If the public schools in Tennessee want to see how you win in football they should go to Texas, Georgia or Florida and take a few lessons.  Tennessee public schools are light years behind in not only athletics but also in academics.  

haha according to you?  Feel free to share some rankings.

51 minutes ago, HTV said:

A handful of other states have begun to allow it. 

From what I have been told a 5 star QB would have been at a high school in the western part of Knox County playing his senior season had Tennessee allowed NIL. But since they didn't he had to stay in a western state that does allow it. 

Not counting Tennessee it’s actually 20 states that allow high school athletes to receive NIL money

• Upvote 2

On 12/8/2022 at 1:10 PM, HTV said:

I assure you that you are wrong.  And that's straight from one who was tasked with fundraising for several years.  

You really don't know what you are talking about.  

Don't you just LOVE IT when someone knows more about what you could do in your sleep than you do, just because they say so?

This NIL situation is a Slippery Slope for high schools and already seen in the paper where a football player and cheerleader from Anderson County has signed NIL agreements. Now with all these Agent Dads that are out there pedaling the next Peyton Manning  hopeful will really add to the problem. Maybe why Mrs. Nolan ask the Maryville coaching staff what can you do for me, she was just two years ahead of herself.

On 12/9/2022 at 1:40 PM, ILB1999WHS said:

haha according to you?  Feel free to share some rankings.

Yesterday all of the state semi-finals were televised.  I watched (National Rankings) #9 Houston North Shore beat #8 Austin Westlake 49-34 and the game was not that close.  The announcer was talking about how the Westlake QB was injured and not playing but I am still not convinced he could have lead them to a victory.  North Shore which is around the shipping channel outside of Houston is really big and extremely fast.  I feel confident that no team in Tennessee has enough athletes to play with North Shore.  Westlake reminded me of a Maryville team but with much more size and speed and very similar to Southlake Carroll in the Dallas area.   Let’s be honest and say that the top public high school football coaches in Texas have a salary of around $150K and they are not required to teach.  The OC and DC may only teach a couple of classes each day and then they work on football.  In Texas they have 11 divisions for 30 million people and in Tennessee you have 9 divisions for 7 million people so you do the math.  The competition to win a state championship in football in the State of Texas is fierce and Tennessee is not close in that regard.  

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cbg said:

Yesterday all of the state semi-finals were televised.  I watched (National Rankings) #9 Houston North Shore beat #8 Austin Westlake 49-34 and the game was not that close.  The announcer was talking about how the Westlake QB was injured and not playing but I am still not convinced he could have lead them to a victory.  North Shore which is around the shipping channel outside of Houston is really big and extremely fast.  I feel confident that no team in Tennessee has enough athletes to play with North Shore.  Westlake reminded me of a Maryville team but with much more size and speed and very similar to Southlake Carroll in the Dallas area.   Let’s be honest and say that the top public high school football coaches in Texas have a salary of around $150K and they are not required to teach.  The OC and DC may only teach a couple of classes each day and then they work on football.  In Texas they have 11 divisions for 30 million people and in Tennessee you have 9 divisions for 7 million people so you do the math.  The competition to win a state championship in football in the State of Texas is fierce and Tennessee is not close in that regard.  

Tennessee High School football, for the most part, is light years behind GA, TX, FL and CA. Limpscomb, Baylor, and maybe Oakland could compete with the upper echelon in these states. That is about it. Money, facilities, and demographics all favor these states

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HTV said:

Nice read from Stephen Hargis on NIL.  

The one thing I do disagree with him on is that I believe NIL will be more of a factor in some areas of the state in the recruiting process than he does.   

Hargis: TSSAA’s NIL ruling likely ends what was left of the purity of prep sports | Chattanooga Times Free Press

After reading that article if colleges like UT want their recruits to move closer to the Knoxville area it appears to me some of the high profile schools in the area may get on a high priority list and you know they'll be wanting them to be playing against the highest competition possible (6A) or Private if that plays out like it mentioned.

• Like 1