Maryville\Alcoa, Still Biggest Rivalry in Tennessee?

On 7/10/2023 at 7:59 PM, strongx said:

It’s strange, but the fact that it is “only” bragging rights makes it cool. Both teams can still reach their goals regardless of the outcome. Don’t underestimate bragging rights when there is family involved!

Not at all strange. Bragging rights are what a real rivalry is about...district/region games, playoffs, proximity, and recent history all have a role in how "important" a game is, but when the main reason that you'd rather that your dog get hit by a train than to lose to a certain team is "only bragging rights"...there's your biggest rival. I'm 300 miles from these two towns and have never been to a game in which either participated, yet I can begin to feel the electricity for this game two or three weeks in advance. Other games may mean more in a one game scenario or even a 6-8 year run, but none is as long standing at as high a level, or as well known by those who are not affiliated as Alcoa/Maryville.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Not at all strange. Bragging rights are what a real rivalry is about...district/region games, playoffs, proximity, and recent history all have a role in how "important" a game is, but when the main reason that you'd rather that your dog get hit by a train than to lose to a certain team is "only bragging rights"...there's your biggest rival. I'm 300 miles from these two towns and have never been to a game in which either participated, yet I can begin to feel the electricity for this game two or three weeks in advance. Other games may mean more in a one game scenario or even a 6-8 year run, but none is as long standing at as high a level, or as well known by those who are not affiliated as Alcoa/Maryville.

THIS!

Maryville vs Alcoa is as big as it gets. I remember 1 year. Can't remember if it was 2006 or 2008. Game was at Maryville. I saw people behind Maryville's side of the stadium. I saw a couple of families who didn't even watch the game. Man,Wife and Kids were eating and laying on a blanket. They just wanted to be there. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, REBELRON said:

Maryville vs Alcoa is as big as it gets. I remember 1 year. Can't remember if it was 2006 or 2008. Game was at Maryville. I saw people behind Maryville's side of the stadium. I saw a couple of families who didn't even watch the game. Man,Wife and Kids were eating and laying on a blanket. They just wanted to be there. 

One of my buddies @FargoStrutcame in from across the state to see it with me last year. He's seen rivalries all over the Midstate and some out west and I'd say he'd agree with you RR. There's nothing like it...

Edited by JSamson7

8 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

One of my buddies @FargoStrutcame in from across the state to see it with me last year. He's seen rivalries all over the Midstate and some out west and I'd say he'd agree with you RR. There's nothing like it...

That's right Samson! I've watched Beech/Gallatin a couple times, Beech/Hendersonville, LA/CPA twice, White House/Portland, PC/EN twice, BA/MBA and Oakland/Riverdale just to name a few of the larger mid-state rivalry games I've went to over the past 5 or 6 yrs. Those are ALL great rivalries but none of these games should even be in the the same conversation as the Alcoa/Maryville game.  And I'm a Mid-Tenn guy. 

FWIW- best bands I've seen are Whitehaven and then PC!

• Upvote 1

for sure one of Boogers favorite matchup atmospheres.....the The Annual Khaki Penny Loafer Bowl in Chattanooga tween the 2 big bluebloods is large week long event...and it has become a much bigger specital the last couple of years....right now big boy in TN football comes thru them 2...

..but that lower squatchie valley contest tween MC & SP took the blue ribbon in Boogers pinion.....but its history for now....egos and butthurts have put a halt to that rivalry

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

On 7/3/2023 at 7:27 AM, GoPats2019 said:

While it might be the rivalry that typically features 2 high ranked teams; saying it's the biggest rivalry is pure opinion. Just off the top of my head of some huge rivalries...

South Pitt/Marion Co

Oakland/Riverdale

DB/Science Hill

Portland/White House

Germantown/Houston

Lebanon/Mt. Juliet

I'm sure there are quite a few I'm forgetting. 

Franklin/Brentwood

Greenbrier/Springfield (ridiculous)

Marshall Co./Giles Co. (wild)

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 12:48 PM, BCsportsfan said:

You know the answer, there GovMan. :rolleyes:

Play Dumb GIF - Play Dumb Playing Dumb Dumb - Discover & Share GIFs

BTW, sure would be nice to play a Blount County High School Team and NOT have to pay one from NEW YORK CITY to come to town........But......I DO Know the reason WHY! :thumb:

Chicken Shoes Funny Animals GIF - Chicken Shoes Funny Animals Rooster -  Discover & Share GIFs

If, as you stated, Maryville only has 8 more players than Alcoa, then why would heat and depth impact Alcoa more than Maryville? That’s all I was asking.

14 hours ago, GovMan said:

If, as you stated, Maryville only has 8 more players than Alcoa, then why would heat and depth impact Alcoa more than Maryville? That’s all I was asking.

"Less a factor"......maybe I should have stated "not a factor"....probably would have been better words in the point I was trying to convey.

15 hours ago, GovMan said:

contrair contrair......Booger thinkin the big sister is closer to 0 degrees lattitude than Aluminum City...so its sumthin else beside high temps effectin those Tinheads

Booger just sayin :mrgreen: