West TN Rural Top 10 Preseason

10 hours ago, mrbigster said:

21 to 0 against Trenton,a team many feel will have to fight for 4th place and a playoff spot.So that's really impressive for the already crowned UC state champs?

I was told peabody beat convington in a scrimmage but I don’t have details. Covington could have been missing players. May have been in the spring 

Edited by Tide21

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I know South Gibson will have a good year. Big senior class with lots of returning experience. Munford had a great year last year and are getting lots of social media love for all the offers their players have been getting. I hope they are not overhyped and end up crapping the bed. 

I don't believe Munford is overhyped. They went 20-4 in the last two seasons. I wish their schedule will improve, but they have Covington and Munford (they call it the M&M Bowl down there), it's going to be tough to find other teams that are willing to play. Geographically, doesn't help them either. They do have Arlington and Lausanne on their schedule, too. 

I do believe the reason they're getting offers is due to their style of play. In addition, it does appear their freshman team maybe practicing along with the varsity team because there wasn't a setback regarding to their pace from freshman team to their varsity team. But they're getting the ball out to their athletes and letting them run in space. It's a system that appears to be fun for their players, and it can attract coaches when it comes to recruiting.

What's going to be their downfall is they're going to have Henry County and Beech waiting for them in the playoffs. 

7 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

I don't believe Munford is overhyped. They went 20-4 in the last two seasons. I wish their schedule will improve, but they have Covington and Munford (they call it the M&M Bowl down there), it's going to be tough to find other teams that are willing to play. Geographically, doesn't help them either. They do have Arlington and Lausanne on their schedule, too. 

I do believe the reason they're getting offers is due to their style of play. In addition, it does appear their freshman team maybe practicing along with the varsity team because there wasn't a setback regarding to their pace from freshman team to their varsity team. But they're getting the ball out to their athletes and letting them run in space. It's a system that appears to be fun for their players, and it can attract coaches when it comes to recruiting.

What's going to be their downfall is they're going to have Henry County and Beech waiting for them in the playoffs. 

I saw them last year in the Dyersburg jamboree. They looked great and I was a believer. They destroyed their competition last year but had a light schedule. Ran into Springfield in the 2nd rd, their first legit competition outside of Covington, and they didn’t respond when they got punched in the mouth. Hopefully they will be more resilient with the two additions to the schedule. 

2 hours ago, Tide21 said:

I was told peabody beat convington in a scrimmage but I don’t have details. Covington could have been missing players. May have been in the spring 

I posted a thread May 15 in the 3A / 4A board titled

Scrimmage result - Peabody vs Covington

I did not know the result of the May 11 scrimmage because I didn’t attend, so I asked if anybody did know.
Somebody posted that Covington won 5-0. I have no idea if that was a correct report, but no posters argued, so it could be correct.

29 minutes ago, Pantherpride45 said:

Riverside looked strong in the run game vs Hardin co and Southside 

passing game is improving but their Defense will be their strength imo should be a competitive season

just get out of the home opener vs collierville healthy 

That will be a good way to open the season! Kudos to you guys for scheduling that.

4 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I did not know the result of the May 11 scrimmage because I didn’t attend, so I asked if anybody did know.
Somebody posted that Covington won 5-0. I have no idea if that was a correct report, but no posters argued, so it could be correct.

I talked to a player I haven’t been on here. I mean I don’t know how true what I was told was who knows 

6 hours ago, Tide21 said:

I don’t know where you got that information, but Peabody definitely did not beat Covington in the spring scrimmage. Peabody is getting better, but you do not lose what we lost and just bounce back and continue to be a state contender. Do I think we will be competitive this year, I sure do especially by the end of the season. Every week that our guys play they are gaining much needed experience. Again only 3 players have ever seen the field during meaningful minutes for us. Even the backups last year graduated for the most part.

7 hours ago, thunderbolts said:

I don’t know where you got that information, but Peabody definitely did not beat Covington in the spring scrimmage. Peabody is getting better, but you do not lose what we lost and just bounce back and continue to be a state contender. Do I think we will be competitive this year, I sure do especially by the end of the season. Every week that our guys play they are gaining much needed experience. Again only 3 players have ever seen the field during meaningful minutes for us. Even the backups last year graduated for the most part.

I know this feeling over here in McKenzie. We are the same. 

13 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

I was told by a very reliable source that Covington beat Peabody in a spring scrimmage 5-0. 

On 8/5/2023 at 9:36 AM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I will be doing this poll again starting with week 1. However I wanted to get some discussion going so I would have plenty of input to draft a good week 1 poll. I’ve been watching some teams this preseason and got my eye on a few squads to start the year. But y’all chime in on what you have seen from your teams thus far in the preseason and make your case for why your team should be in the week 1 poll. 

I've been lucky to have seen a lot of teams 7x7 & scrimmage this summer. I take all of them as a grain of salt as nothing is like game settings. But......  Union City is good. Very good, but not dominant like prior championship teams I've seen from other schools. UC has a 3 headed monster guard to guard, total absolute studs, but size stops there. Tackles look like most teams WR/DB. Speed for days, QB is the best runner of all. Tough kid that that can throw very well too. They are going to be tough around WTN. I personally don't see them as a title threat. Not yet anyways. Not a hater, I have family on that team, just what I saw against Trenton. Trenton, is going to have a very tough season rebuilding. Seasons like this happen.

Lake County & Dresden are closer to UC than I see them getting credit for to start the season. It's these 3 at the top way out in front. 

2 hours ago, SpottedGoat said:

I've been lucky to have seen a lot of teams 7x7 & scrimmage this summer. I take all of them as a grain of salt as nothing is like game settings. But......  Union City is good. Very good, but not dominant like prior championship teams I've seen from other schools. UC has a 3 headed monster guard to guard, total absolute studs, but size stops there. Tackles look like most teams WR/DB. Speed for days, QB is the best runner of all. Tough kid that that can throw very well too. They are going to be tough around WTN. I personally don't see them as a title threat. Not yet anyways. Not a hater, I have family on that team, just what I saw against Trenton. Trenton, is going to have a very tough season rebuilding. Seasons like this happen.

Lake County & Dresden are closer to UC than I see them getting credit for to start the season. It's these 3 at the top way out in front. 

When I read about Union City being so impressive against Trenton that's why I ask how was that really that impressive unless Trenton was better than predicted and they may be.But in reading about many saying Trenton will have to fight to even make the playoffs,makes me wonder.And I"ll take Lake Co out of my evaluation.Just from reading.Id think Dresden may would done the same against Trenton and maybe worse.So I'm with you.Everyone giving Union City the state title game already but I'm not convinced.Not yet anyway.Would live to see the Dresden Vs Union City matchup.And if LC gets good linemen play,they going to be as fast and athletic as anyone.