All Time Top 5 Teams In Tennessee?

UPSGregg

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old thread, but I'm new here and just found it--- the best I've ever seen:

1-Riverdale 1994--- 15-0, 620 pts for, 58 against; 6 or 8 big time signees, including Fernando Bryant; 10 Tds scored by their defense; unbelievable speed

2-- Bristol 1971--- MBA (Fred Fisher, Tate Rich, Sr.-- 5 or 6 D1 signees) was #1 all year, lost to Covington in the playoffs 21-10, and then Bristol beat Covington 52-0 in the finals. David Bibee who QB'ed Bristol is now (I think) the coach at Baylor

3--Murfressboro Central 1970-- at least 10 D1 signees, didn't play a remotely close game all year.

4-- BA 1995-- Biggers , Lee, Micki Allen, all juniors, Richard Land-- huge OT, Jaman Bass-- best HS LB I ever saw-- don't know what ever happened to him-- smoked Riverdale in the finals and set off the events that led to the split-- scarey good team

5-- MBA 1999--- only close game was Bolles (FL)-- best HS game I've ever seen. As other posts have said-- remarkable collection of athletes-- mid teens numbers of college athletes, football and other. And the hit Barton Simmons put on a Christian Bros kid in the Clinic Bowl was the hardest hit in the history of Dudley Field, including the year the Titans played there

Anspa glad someone mentioned the Cleveland teams. 93-95 they were as dominant as any HS team in the state. The Cobb twins, Corey Priqmore, Dante Hickey( what an athlete in HS) they dominated opposing teams. Also the Marion Co team of 94 and the team in 92 (That beat Brentwood Academy in the championship) would be considered also. Also the 99 South Pittsburgh team of Starkey, Pickett and Co. were very good. These teams from the Chattanooga are need to be considered. On a side note the 90 Marion Co. team may have been the best of all even though they were 7-3 in the regular season they made a dominating run in the playoffs. That playoff run with ending in a state title with a victory over MUS was as dominating a performance as I have seen.

Dudes, the 1997 Greenbrier Bobcats 9-10 year-old Jr. Pro team was AWESOME! Unscored on and unbeaten (10-0)! Players: Roger Herndon (QB/S), Jacob Aldridge (TB/DB), Clint Russell (RB/LB), Mitchell Dever (FB/LB), Cameron Armes (E/LB), Kyle Gainous (OL/DL), Joey Stephens (C/NT), Kyle Tabb (OL/DL), Wade Pearson (OL/DL/LB), Jesse Dunn (OL/DL) and Perry Osborne (OL/DL), to name a few. Coaches: Brad Russell (Head Coach/Off. Coord.) and Jeff Slyker (Def. Coord.). What a TEAM!!

1987 Jefferson County

# 4 in the nation

no doubt the best. BEAT OAK RIDGE IN PLAYOFFS 51-0

SENIORS THAT YEAR

TODD COLLINS- usa today defensive player of the year-played in 2 super bowls 1 super bowl championship, national championship at carson newman,state championship.

heres a list of others on that team that played or signed to play college football from that team. add corrections if needed.

DAVID SATTERFIELD-appy state

ANDRE BATTS university of hawaii

DARRIN CUNNINGHAM-cn

KENNY MATTISON-mtsu

TAYLOR QUARLES-furman national championship(yes george quarles brother)

BRIAN SPIVEY- university tennessee. sec championship starter at center.

ERIC CARTER utc

JONNY WILLIAMS- mtsu

JR S

BOBBY MORGAN-mtsu

GLEN PURYEAR-tn tech

SOPH S

POPPY CARTER- utc

JASON ENSLEY- furman

ERIC HUTCHINS-utc/cn

MICHAEL HANCE-cn

DAVID CAGLE-cn

Edited by jc1

I'm glad to see someone mentiont the 93-95 Raiders. They had to be one of the best. In 93 there starting defense was amazing, and there offense was pretty good too. I remember fullback Chris Whaley running directly over a safety at the Clinic bowl to go on a score about a 70 yard TD. That hit occured at about the 50 and not only could everyone see it but they could hear it also. Here is a little trivia. What team ended the 54-0 streak that Cleveland had?

The Associated Press has answered at least 20% of the question: Baylor High School ranked number 1 nationally in the 1973 final poll. Hall of famer Red Etter was the coach.

Also, several of Red Etter coached undefeated state champion Chattanooga Central teams prior to the state playoffs in 1968 would have to be considered. Central was recognized 6 times as state champions prior to 1968.

This is an old thread.

Here are the 5 best teams I have watched

1. 93 Cleveland team was awesome. Thy had speed to burn and had a big line to pave the way for those skill players. The championship game vs Brentwood Academy was the best high school football game I ever watched.

2. 95 and 96 Brentwood Academy teams. They were loaded with talent and well coached.

3. 86 Austin East was loaded. Von Reeves,Leroy Thompson AND Joey Fair were studs.

4. Pearl Cohn 97 was the most talented team I saw. Their only weakness was lack of discipline.

5. 98 Maryville team. The best offensive line I ever saw on a high school football team. This team was great in all areas of the game. Good defense. Nobody ran the football on them. Great balance on offense. Great kicking game.

Other great teams I watched were

1987 Jeff County

1996 Melrose

2000 Red Bank

1995 Cleveland

1993 Lincoln County

1993 Brentwood Academy

1991 Brentwood Academy

2002 Maryville

2001 Maryville

1989 Alcoa

These are teams that I have seen.

I never saw Baylor's 1973 team, but I saw Andy Rutledge play at Vandy-- very good back--- Bristol's 1971 team was also picked #1 in the country by some press organization, don't recall who-- and Bristol's 1972 team beat Baylor (Rutledge was a junior) 39-13 in the state finals. For those two years , 71 nd 72, Bristol was unbelievable.

Also, nobody's mentioned MBA's 3 straight undefeated teams in late 60's--- Sandy Haury(Vandy), Hunter Husband (Alabama), Jeff Peebles(Vandy)--- they were voted state champs -- pre playoff era.

However--- I still think Riverdale's 1994 team would've beaten any other HS team-- in TN or otherwise, that I've ever seen--- they were huge and athletic on both lines-- Antron Peebles (Tenn), David Coppeans(Vandy)--- and they had 8 or 10 backs and receivers who ran 4.5 or better in the forty-- Fernando Bryant (Ala), Alvin Duke (Mr Football)-- and a bunch more that I just remember as "all those really fast guys"--- their games looked like track meets.