MR Football in3A

cub3

Where is the Robinson kid from Alcoa going to play college ball? And, why is TN not after him?

I think I read on a previous thread that he has a verbal commit to Kentucky. He's the absolute real deal and one of the better TE's I've seen at the high school level. Just think of putting Christian Coleman (from Milan) at TE with very soft hands and good speed on top of that and you get Tyler Robinson.

This is something for the Alcoa/Maryville/East TN fans to debate. Who was the better TE in High School?....Tyler Robinson (Alcoa) or Aaron Douglas (Maryville). Please don't bash either player. They're both great, but I only saw Aaron play once at Maryville.

Hmm nice debate, but I think that you have to add Brandon Warren's name to the mix :thumb:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaron Toney didn't single handidly beat Maryville. Alcoa's offensive line killed Maryville's defensive line all night long. Toney is great but the main reason this is the best Alcoa team I ever seen is because of Alcoa's offensive line. A name to remember is Derek Evans. That guy is 6'2 270lbs and is only a junior. That guy is a beast. This is by far the most physical Alcoa team I have seen. They will kill everyone they play the rest of the year.

Tyler Robinson is a very good player but not quite as good as Aaron Douglas. Aaron Douglas is already starting at RT for UT. Douglas is very athletic. He was athletic enough to help Maryville win state in basketball. Douglas will be a future NFL player.

Jaron Toney didn't single handidly beat Maryville. Alcoa's offensive line killed Maryville's defensive line all night long. Toney is great but the main reason this is the best Alcoa team I ever seen is because of Alcoa's offensive line. A name to remember is Derek Evans. That guy is 6'2 270lbs and is only a junior. That guy is a beast. This is by far the most physical Alcoa team I have seen. They will kill everyone they play the rest of the year.

Tyler Robinson is a very good player but not quite as good as Aaron Douglas. Aaron Douglas is already starting at RT for UT. Douglas is very athletic. He was athletic enough to help Maryville win state in basketball. Douglas will be a future NFL player.

How you think Tyler not better than Douglas.The post is about T/E not basketball. And why you think they moved Aaron to right tackle .He DOES NOT has the hand's Tyler got. No disrespect to Aaron . Hope to see him in the NFL someday that would be great.How you know Tyler won't start for UK next year.A man never know's.

Alcoa's OLine and DLine did dominate that game. However, after Toney got past the first level of the defense he had to outrun and juke the secondary which was by no means a slow secondary. Finishing with 6 TD's and 375 yards against an elite team in the state is a nice start to a resume for a Mr. Football winner.

I compared Robinson and Douglas because they are somewhat alike in size and ability.

Why is TN not recruiting both of these Alcoa boys? Toney and Robinson. If they are really that great, then why are the Vols not after them?

To be honest, Alcoa has produced great athletes that have D-1 potiental but how many go on to have productive college careers? I know they have had many not qualify academically, then you got Brandon Warren, and so on. I am not knocking on their program but for some reason their high school success doesn't translate into success on the college level. Cobb has been the exception to the rule.

I know some Alcoa fans won't like that comment but that is something I have noticed the last couple of years about the talent at Alcoa.

Why is TN not recruiting both of these Alcoa boys? Toney and Robinson. If they are really that great, then why are the Vols not after them?

To be honest, Alcoa has produced great athletes that have D-1 potiental but how many go on to have productive college careers? I know they have had many not qualify academically, then you got Brandon Warren, and so on. I am not knocking on their program but for some reason their high school success doesn't translate into success on the college level. Cobb has been the exception to the rule.

I know some Alcoa fans won't like that comment but that is something I have noticed the last couple of years about the talent at Alcoa.

Randal Cobb - KY

Kyrus Lanster - KY

Rae Sykes - UT

Brandon Warren - UT (was)

Chris Shiverdecker - C-N

Tyler Robinson - KY (2010)

several at D II & III colleges.

Dustin Lindsey - UT (academics).......(1)This is many?? :thumb:

What other TN high school has more SEC players? :thumb:

While true, this statement does not genuinely reflect the point you are attempting make, that being the players are not as talented as they are being portrayed throughout this thread. The University of Tennessee in Knoxville has offered zero players who are participants on a football team in class 3A and so there is almost no point to you even posting this. In fact five players in the state of Tennessee have offers from UT, one a DII player, one in 4A, two in 5A, and one in 6A. So now I will proceed to address other issues presented throughout this thread.

I’ll start with the comparison of OC Brown to Tyler Robinson. Both are very good players but while Brown’s star ranking is more illustrious most observers deem him to be over rated, he is a very large person with good skills but many observers think he is too raw, this is why he is lacking an offer from UT. It was inferred that his offer list was more grandiose than that of Robinson’s but this is in fact untrue. They each hold an offer Kentucky and each have one other BCS offer according to rivals (Brown-Colorado, Robinson-Virginia Tech). What is largely holding Robinson back is that he at this point he cannot be projected solidly at any one position. No one questions his catching ability but his speed is a concern if he will play TE at the next level. To play OL, where many project him, he would likely have to gain 30 pounds. He could play DE, but again his speed off the edge is not elite and about 15-20 pounds would need to be added to play DT, and then you question can he maintain his speed to be effective at that position. With that said Robinson is the better player at the high school level and he won last year. It would be very difficult to argue that he is no longer as good as he was last year.

The comparison of Robinson to Aaron Douglas is a bit of a stretch. They are of similar build and do have similar abilities but Douglas was simply more athletic than Robinson is. Douglas was faster and moved lighter on his feet and their ability to catch is very similar. Douglas was not moved from TE at UT because he was inadequate, he has as of the TE skills of Cottam and Stocker, but the new staff saw potential for him to become an elite tackle and I believe that is certainly possible.

No other back as shown the ability or production of Jaron Toney and he without question deserves the award of Mr. Football more than any other player but, the players at Milan were probably better hyped in the preseason and one of them could very well win. The most likely scenario I see playing out is Toney winning the back award and Williamson winning the lineman award based on his linebacking credentials. I do not agree with a back winning that award but there is precedent for it with Chris Donald in 2006, but I honestly can’t say Williamson does not deserve to be Mr. Football.

While true, this statement does not genuinely reflect the point you are attempting make, that being the players are not as talented as they are being portrayed throughout this thread. The University of Tennessee in Knoxville has offered zero players who are participants on a football team in class 3A and so there is almost no point to you even posting this. In fact five players in the state of Tennessee have offers from UT, one a DII player, one in 4A, two in 5A, and one in 6A. So now I will proceed to address other issues presented throughout this thread.

I’ll start with the comparison of OC Brown to Tyler Robinson. Both are very good players but while Brown’s star ranking is more illustrious most observers deem him to be over rated, he is a very large person with good skills but many observers think he is too raw, this is why he is lacking an offer from UT. It was inferred that his offer list was more grandiose than that of Robinson’s but this is in fact untrue. They each hold an offer Kentucky and each have one other BCS offer according to rivals (Brown-Colorado, Robinson-Virginia Tech). What is largely holding Robinson back is that he at this point he cannot be projected solidly at any one position. No one questions his catching ability but his speed is a concern if he will play TE at the next level. To play OL, where many project him, he would likely have to gain 30 pounds. He could play DE, but again his speed off the edge is not elite and about 15-20 pounds would need to be added to play DT, and then you question can he maintain his speed to be effective at that position. With that said Robinson is the better player at the high school level and he won last year. It would be very difficult to argue that he is no longer as good as he was last year.

The comparison of Robinson to Aaron Douglas is a bit of a stretch. They are of similar build and do have similar abilities but Douglas was simply more athletic than Robinson is. Douglas was faster and moved lighter on his feet and their ability to catch is very similar. Douglas was not moved from TE at UT because he was inadequate, he has as of the TE skills of Cottam and Stocker, but the new staff saw potential for him to become an elite tackle and I believe that is certainly possible.

No other back as shown the ability or production of Jaron Toney and he without question deserves the award of Mr. Football more than any other player but, the players at Milan were probably better hyped in the preseason and one of them could very well win. The most likely scenario I see playing out is Toney winning the back award and Williamson winning the lineman award based on his linebacking credentials. I do not agree with a back winning that award but there is precedent for it with Chris Donald in 2006, but I honestly can’t say Williamson does not deserve to be Mr. Football.

Interesting name. However, you miss a couple points on OC Brown, and recruiting in general. You have read too much Junior year stuff. Yes, he was high projection, but considered raw. Some things have changed. He spent his entire summer at camps from LSU to the University of Oklohoma and Universities in between. His rawness is largely replaced. He is now the same very powerfull, fast 300 lb lineman, but has vastly improved his technique - as his noted by recruiters all over the southeast. The reason he has not been offered by UT is becasue of the position he projects at. He is 6' 2.5" heels down and barefooted. To play tackle, the best of the best (UT and others) are not interested in a kid under 6'5" anymore. However, they will consider a 6' 2" kid for a Center/Guard spot, but they recruit many fewer interior guys like that because the 6' 5" guys that don't make at tackle are typically moved down to Guard once they enter college. So, if you will look at Riva1s lists, it is why they seperate the Tackles from the Center/Guard positions in rankings. By in large you will note the main difference in the 2 lists is height. Riva1s didn't do this to be cute, rather they recognize through relationships with college coaches all over the US that the 2 groups are considered and recruited much differently, so rivals ranks and lists them differently. UT will not offer OC Brown. He doesn't fit with what Kiffin is looking for. However, there are 4 other SEC schools that he is expecting offers from and most probably will recieve within the next few weeks.

Now that that is cleared up, OC Brown is the best offensive lineman in the state of Tennessee in 3A ball. Riva1s thinks it, anyone who has seen film of the leading candidates agrees. Also, Robinson is the best TE in the state in 3A ball - can't reasonably disput that either. The rub is that you are comparing 2 very different positions and having to chose between the 2 in an unfair comparison - for both kids. Both are great at what they do and neither would be able to replace the other at their respective positions. Both have SEC offers which demonstrates genuine upside and both bring with them the accolades of coaches, fans, and peers regarding the way they handle themselves on and off the field. For someone to get on here and say 1 or the other is hands down more deserving is either a homer or an idiot or both. We should celebrate each kid for what they do and who they are and what thier future is going to be and hope the vote is a tie.