Maryville vs. White Station 6A State Championship

Red Rebels

Luks like Murvel's nut az gud as ya think ye er.

Who would have thought that the best two teams would reside in Memphis.

Maryville was out coached............

You have got to be kidding. Out coached? How about out atheleted?

Congratz to White Station. A great group of athletes and we clearly had no answer to for number 4 and number 11.

To the folks from SS and Tenn High who think they could play with White Station. Easier said than done, it is so easy to say that when you know you will not play them. We were rushing our front four only, because receivers were all over the field and he is most elusive QB I have seen. This may not be our best defense ever, but do you know how difficult it is to cover a receiver longer than 6 or 7 seconds? Try it sometime. The Maryville defense regardless of what you think of it got us where we were. PLEASE don't start the "my team could have done this or that". Your team got its chance whatever that turned out to be.

To those whinning about the refs you have got to be kidding! If your quarterback scrambles for five minutes you are BOUND to get some illegal men downfield calls. White Station, while very atheletic was not overly discipline. JMHO. The only bad call I saw was when White Station tackled a Maryville player five yards out of bounds, with no flag but those things are always going to happen.

Very proud of my football team. THEY WERE NOT SUPPOSE TO BE THERE LAST NIGHT. And I hope our folks manage to remember that fact. The Knoxville media picked us to finish third in our district behind Farrragut and Knox Catholic. I guess we started six or seven sophomores this year, and the season was a learning process from week to week and last night will eventually be no different. That is not an excuse, it is a fact. This is one of the youngest teams we have had in a while. I am proud of them. I know a lot of people love to see us lose so you guys have your fun. But 13-2 and State runnerup to a fine WS team in our first year in 6A? I'll take that any day.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luks like Murvel's nut az gud as ya think ye er.

Who would have thought that the best two teams would reside in Memphis.

Maryville was out coached............

You have got to be kidding. Out coached? How about out atheleted?

Congratz to White Station. A great group of athletes and we clearly had no answer to for number 4 and number 11.

To the folks from SS and Tenn High who think they could play with White Station. Easier said than done, it is so easy to say that when you know you will not play them. We were rushing our front four only, because receivers were all over the field and he is most elusive QB I have seen. This may not be our best defense ever, but do you know how difficult it is to cover a receiver longer than 6 or 7 seconds? Try it sometime. The Maryville defense regardless of what you think of it got us where we were. PLEASE don't start the "my team could have done this or that". Your team got its chance whatever that turned out to be.

To those whinning about the refs you have got to be kidding! If your quarterback scrambles for five minutes you are BOUND to get some illegal men downfield calls. White Station, while very atheletic was not overly discipline. JMHO. The only bad call I saw was when White Station tackled a Maryville player five yards out of bounds, with no flag but those things are always going to happen.

Very proud of my football team. THEY WERE NOT SUPPOSE TO BE THERE LAST NIGHT. And I hope our folks manage to remember that fact. The Knoxville media picked us to finish third in our district behind Farrragut and Knox Catholic. I guess we started six or seven sophomores this year, and the season was a learning process from week to week and last night will eventually be no different. That is not an excuse, it is a fact. This is one of the youngest teams we have had in a while. I am proud of them. I know a lot of people love to see us lose so you guys have your fun. But 13-2 and State runnerup to a fine WS team in our first year in 6A? I'll take that any day.

My thoughts exactly.

Congratulations to White Station. Maryville had no answer for Julian Burton and Anthony Hayes. Those guys should be heavily recruited.

Congratulations to Maryville. I am very proud of them. I also know Maryville has 7 starters returning on offense and 6 starters returning on defense. I also know Maryville has both kickers coming back. Also the upcoming sophomore and freshmen classes are loaded for bear. I expect Maryville to be very good next year.

now that the season is over.....I hope Julian Burton is a senior and I hope he plays his college ball for UT....the Vols could sure use his speed!! Congrats to the Spartans on a great year. Congrats to the Rebels on a great year!....you guys sure made us proud to be Rebel fans! :flower:

now that the season is over.....I hope Julian Burton is a senior and I hope he plays his college ball for UT....the Vols could sure use his speed!! Congrats to the Spartans on a great year. Congrats to the Rebels on a great year!....you guys sure made us proud to be Rebel fans! :flower:

I think after his performance last night, he will get alot of offers now. I'd LOVE to see Porter (Univ fo Memphis' new head coach) manage to keep him in Memphis.

Great job WS! Congratulations on an great game. You guys played like you wanted to prove something and you deserved to win. I haven't see Maryville play this poorly since the Alcoa game. Also Congratulations to Maryville on a great season. When you lose so many starters on O and D most teams in TN would be down and their goal would have been just to make it to the playoffs. It was a lot of fun watching you improve your game throughout the year. To the WS community, players, coaches, parents, and fans, Congratulations and ENJOY this great accomplishment. It just shows how rare and difficult it is to win the golden ball. Most team and players in the state of TN will never accomplish this and thats what makes it so special. In Blount County we only count a successful season if it ends with winning the state game and if you took a look at the Maryville and/or Alcoa trophy case you'd be amazed. I usually post everytime Maryville plays but I dont think I have for this game. I saw too many non-maryville fans and a couple of Maryville fans saying how this will be an easy win for Maryville. As much as I wanted this to be the case I knew WS was way better than advertised by a lot of people. You guys played a good game and I hope you enjoy this win. I wish you good luck next year also.

As for Maryville, great season. There is nothing to be ashamed of. There are still people and there always will be those who say you can't play for the big boys and crap like that. You lined up against a lot of great teams this year and you smashed them in the mouth. You proved many many people wrong. This season has been a great success in my eyes. You proved that you can play with anyone, now go out and start practicing for next year and prove that you can win stat in 6A. Know that those who disrespect you the most have the least in life. Those who say that Maryville can't do this or that are the ones who have not done anything in the personal and athletic life. You have achieved great things, remember that. Well, this is it for me.I hope everyone has a great Christmas. It has been a fun season and I will debate with most of you next football season.

Remember: Its not what you do or say when everyone is around, its the things you do and say when no one is around.

I was completely wrong about this game. Congrats to White Station.

My personal opinion, I think the state was down at this level this year. Take nothing away from the two teams that competed but overall I thought that all year long. This year seemed more than ever it was who got hot for individual games and not necessarily the better team overall. Having said that, both teams deserved to be there and play. I am not saying any other team was better, but looking at the games from outside it just seemed that way.

WS was without question the better team. This was an easy game for them. It really was a mismatch any way you cut it. I mean Maryville had the tradition, the coaching, the state championships, the state championship game expierence (coaching/players) and anything else you want to count.......and.......look what happened.......WS drives from Memphis to Cookville on the actual day of the game (that's what they said on TV) which would be around a five hour drive and dominates the game and then turns right around and drives back the same night (that's what I call TCB)...a game not hardly anybody thought they could win. Just out of curiosity because I have no idea........did Maryville travel to Cookville on game day or did they stay the night prior to the game?

Whatever the case...wether each team traveled on game day or not.....for all I know the TV people could have been wrong.........it was still a mismatch.

Two good teams...one was just flat out better......it happens.......Congrats to both teams.

Congrats on that Huge " Mismatch " win of yours . 37-27 ..... mismatch , easy win ... funny thing Is the more that you and Volunteercoach disrespect your opponent , the more you disrespect your own team . The more you put Maryville down , the cheaper your victory becomes . If your opponent was that terrible , I guess it's no big deal that you won ... right ? Enjoy your huge 10 point " Mismatch " win , maybe next time you can "Act Like You've Been There Before" .

To the majority of the Classy White Station fans , I congratulate you , and hope you all enjoy your historical win .

Other than Murfreesboro schools beating up on each other and apparently WS, 6A was definately down this year. From what I could tell from all 6 title games, overall talent/coaching/scheming/gameplay I would rank it 4a, 5a, 3a, 6a, 2a, 1a. Maryville was absolutely overmatched as it took some lucky quick scores and a few dumb WS mistakes for them to even get the deficit to 10. And from what I could tell from watching all of the Rutherford schools, Mville was be the underdog there as well. If they were in the district with Oakland, Blackman, Riverdale, etc., they would struggle to make the playoffs. This jump in class is going to be soon regretted...they should count their lucky stars that they were as successful as they were this year.

Congrats on that Huge " Mismatch " win of yours . 37-27 ..... mismatch , easy win ... funny thing Is the more that you and Volunteercoach disrespect your opponent , the more you disrespect your own team . The more you put Maryville down , the cheaper your victory becomes . If your opponent was that terrible , I guess it's no big deal that you won ... right ? Enjoy your huge 10 point " Mismatch " win , maybe next time you can "Act Like You've Been There Before" .

To the majority of the Classy White Station fans , I congratulate you , and hope you all enjoy your historical win .

I agree, there was NO mismatch. I don't see how anyone can look at Maryville's season and say a single thing against the way the got to the finals. They went trhough the "best of the best" by most people's account. BTY, looks like the poster you were referring to is out of Jackson......