private vs public tssaa needs to seperate

lynard

pretty much...yeah.

Then you will start complaining about the open zoned schools, the magnet schools, the schools who accept out of county students for a tuition or added fee, and you will complain about schools who have coop agreements with other schools who don't have teams.  

As your school has only defeated one school in district football play EVER, eliminating 17 private D1 playing schools state wide should be the least of your concerns and would have no effect on your playoff status.

I love your passion and mean no disrespect towards any player on your team (cause I know they bust their butts).  Your apparent hatred of privates is misguided and the privates banishment to D2 would not solve your teams issues.

Then you will start complaining about the open zoned schools, the magnet schools, the schools who accept out of county students for a tuition or added fee, and you will complain about schools who have coop agreements with other schools who don't have teams.  

As your school has only defeated one school in district football play EVER, eliminating 17 private D1 playing schools state wide should be the least of your concerns and would have no effect on your playoff status.

I love your passion and mean no disrespect towards any player on your team (cause I know they bust their butts).  Your apparent hatred of privates is misguided and the privates banishment to D2 would not solve your teams issues.

Go back (if you wish) and read anything I've ever posted on this subject...I assure you that there is no hatred for any private school. There is however an understanding that TSSAA's current policy favors the privates. I have much respect for TCA and the other privates, and place none of the responsibility for the rules upon them. That's as plain, straightforward  and truthful as I can be. My team will improve. It's a young program with an even younger feeder system, but the numbers are better, and the new staff is making progress, and none of the issues involved in building a program are the fault of private schools (and thanks for the large gate, but everyone in 15A travels well, save Middleton ). The foundation of my personal belief that all privates should be separate is based mostly on two simple truths...selection and restriction of students, and population availability. The current rules allow privates to manipulate student enrollment...the "option" to choose their classification. Privates are urban or suburban schools with thousands of potential athletes within their area, and publics ( 1-2 A ) are rural and isolated to students within a few miles. Not that this or that school is guilty of abusing the advantages afforded them by TSSAA to the degree that it's impossible to compete with them, but that the option to do so with no liability is there if they should choose to is my concern. Privates and publics are completely different institutions...I just can't comprehend why it would be so terrible for them to compete for playoff spots with other schools under the same set of circumstances. TCAintense and I have had plenty of civil banter on this topic, and I greatly respect his opinion and viewpoint...I feel that you are a little bit closed minded and a lot defensive (sic) on the matter, and usually try and twist anyone's opinion (differing from yours) into an attack or something as shallow as " your school has only defeated one school in district football play EVER". Sorry for the novella, but I didn't want to leave anything open to interpretation.

Go back (if you wish) and read anything I've ever posted on this subject...I assure you that there is no hatred for any private school. There is however an understanding that TSSAA's current policy favors the privates. I have much respect for TCA and the other privates, and place none of the responsibility for the rules upon them. That's as plain, straightforward  and truthful as I can be. My team will improve. It's a young program with an even younger feeder system, but the numbers are better, and the new staff is making progress, and none of the issues involved in building a program are the fault of private schools (and thanks for the large gate, but everyone in 15A travels well, save Middleton ). The foundation of my personal belief that all privates should be separate is based mostly on two simple truths...selection and restriction of students, and population availability. The current rules allow privates to manipulate student enrollment...the "option" to choose their classification. Privates are urban or suburban schools with thousands of potential athletes within their area, and publics ( 1-2 A ) are rural and isolated to students within a few miles. Not that this or that school is guilty of abusing the advantages afforded them by TSSAA to the degree that it's impossible to compete with them, but that the option to do so with no liability is there if they should choose to is my concern. Privates and publics are completely different institutions...I just can't comprehend why it would be so terrible for them to compete for playoff spots with other schools under the same set of circumstances. TCAintense and I have had plenty of civil banter on this topic, and I greatly respect his opinion and viewpoint...I feel that you are a little bit closed minded and a lot defensive (sic) on the matter, and usually try and twist anyone's opinion (differing from yours) into an attack or something as shallow as " your school has only defeated one school in district football play EVER". Sorry for the novella, but I didn't want to leave anything open to interpretation.

Please explain to me exactly which current TSSAA policies favor the 17 privates in D1 over the almost 300 public schools in D1.  We have access to "thousands" of potential athletes according to you while rural publics are "isolated" to students within a few miles.  Trader, you need only to look within our own district to disprove your theory. With about 35 kids on the varsity roster, including freshmen, I just don't see where we are raking in all of these students that you say are available.  Like your school, most of our boys play two and three sports.  We don't have a bottomless pit of players like another certain team in our district.  

Please explain to me how we or other privates, "manipulate" our student population using the current rules?  If we were manipulating our enrollment, don't you think we would get rid of about 30 students?  It may not even be that many.  If .we did that, we would drop down to 1A for football even with the multiplier.  As far as picking our own classification, we play in the class that we were assigned to by the TSSAA with that goofy multiplier rule.  Nope, we didn't choose to be in the class we are in, we were legislated to it.  

By the way, I have no hatred to the public schools.  I was raised in a public school in another state and we competed against privates every year.  Some years we lost, some we won.  I just grow so tired of all the whining and complaining that goes on around Tennessee in regards to public and private schools.  Let's just line up and play football and let the chips (wins) fall where they may.  

Edited by ReitzFan

Please explain to me exactly which current TSSAA policies favor the 17 privates in D1 over the almost 300 public schools in D1.  We have access to "thousands" of potential athletes according to you while rural publics are "isolated" to students within a few miles.  Trader, you need only to look within our own district to disprove your theory. With about 35 kids on the varsity roster, including freshmen, I just don't see where we are raking in all of these students that you say are available.  Like your school, most of our boys play two and three sports.  We don't have a bottomless pit of players like another certain team in our district.  

Please explain to me how we or other privates, "manipulate" our student population using the current rules?  If we were manipulating our enrollment, don't you think we would get rid of about 30 students?  It may not even be that many.  If .we did that, we would drop down to 1A for football even with the multiplier.  As far as picking our own classification, we play in the class that we were assigned to by the TSSAA with that goofy multiplier rule.  Nope, we didn't choose to be in the class we are in, we were legislated to it.  

By the way, I have no hatred to the public schools.  I was raised in a public school in another state and we competed against privates every year.  Some years we lost, some we won.  I just grow so tired of all the whining and complaining that goes on around Tennessee in regards to public and private schools.  Let's just line up and play football and let the chips (wins) fall where they may.  

You're smarter than that. TCA has now or has had "access" (via TSSAA rules) to every 9-12 student in Madison Co. (and anywhere relatively close). Adamsville (your choice) has access (via the same rules) to every student in McNairy Co. per their own B.O.E., which supports the "open zone" approach. Adamsville's "bottomless pit" of players are there because taxpayers in McNairy Co. chose to send their kids to that school over M.C.H.S. for whatever individual reason, and it's their right to do so. Do some math ( AHS+MCHS student population vs. Northside, South Side, JCM, Liberty, ect, ect, ect...), and you have the "thousands" to which I was referring. Not mind you that TCA will get their choice of all those...but that it would be allowed by TSSAA. 

TCA has a process that allows the administration their choice of students...they are not obligated to admit every student who submits an application, and their total enrollment is set by the schools own administrators...total freedom without TSSAA restrictions. If it were the will of  TCA's administration to "get rid" of about 30 students and drop to 1A as you stated, it's their choice and theirs alone with no "legislation", just don't grant admission to 30 or so freshmen...perfectly "OK" with TSSAA. Your roster consists of 35 or so, and Adamsville's is around 80...The Seahawk's went into last season with 54 players that they chose, just as TCA is able to choose a select few from many.

I too grow tired of the point/counterpoint of this issue...bottom line is that they're different in many ways and alike in few, and that there's no logical reason that they shouldn't be split, and that publics compete with publics, and privates with privates. 

You're smarter than that. TCA has now or has had "access" (via TSSAA rules) to every 9-12 student in Madison Co. (and anywhere relatively close). Adamsville (your choice) has access (via the same rules) to every student in McNairy Co. per their own B.O.E., which supports the "open zone" approach. Adamsville's "bottomless pit" of players are there because taxpayers in McNairy Co. chose to send their kids to that school over M.C.H.S. for whatever individual reason, and it's their right to do so. Do some math ( AHS+MCHS student population vs. Northside, South Side, JCM, Liberty, ect, ect, ect...), and you have the "thousands" to which I was referring. Not mind you that TCA will get their choice of all those...but that it would be allowed by TSSAA. 

TCA has a process that allows the administration their choice of students...they are not obligated to admit every student who submits an application, and their total enrollment is set by the schools own administrators...total freedom without TSSAA restrictions. If it were the will of  TCA's administration to "get rid" of about 30 students and drop to 1A as you stated, it's their choice and theirs alone with no "legislation", just don't grant admission to 30 or so freshmen...perfectly "OK" with TSSAA. Your roster consists of 35 or so, and Adamsville's is around 80...The Seahawk's went into last season with 54 players that they chose, just as TCA is able to choose a select few from many.

I too grow tired of the point/counterpoint of this issue...bottom line is that they're different in many ways and alike in few, and that there's no logical reason that they shouldn't be split, and that publics compete with publics, and privates with privates. 

Well trader, I see no reason as to why there should be a split.  So we are just going to have to agree to disagree. As far as using the term "manipulating", it was you who brought it up.  I would be a bit more cautious when using that term if I were you.  You do realize that some publics juggle the books when it comes down to the final enrollment figures. 

On a lighter note.  Do you know the whereabouts of Rocky Scott?  I seem to bring him up every time we play you guys in football or basketball.  My broadcast partner and I took a liking to him and we understand his family used to listen to our broadcasts when we played you folks.  From what I know, he may be the finest male athlete Scotts Hill has ever produced.

Well trader, I see no reason as to why there should be a split.  So we are just going to have to agree to disagree. As far as using the term "manipulating", it was you who brought it up.  I would be a bit more cautious when using that term if I were you.  You do realize that some publics juggle the books when it comes down to the final enrollment figures. 

On a lighter note.  Do you know the whereabouts of Rocky Scott?  I seem to bring him up every time we play you guys in football or basketball.  My broadcast partner and I took a liking to him and we understand his family used to listen to our broadcasts when we played you folks.  From what I know, he may be the finest male athlete Scotts Hill has ever produced.

It sort of took me off guard when you stated that Rocky might have been the finest male athlete from Scotts Hill, but you just may be right. If Rocky had had the "drive" that some of the less gifted ones have had, he might have been able to earn a living playing! The last I heard Rocky walked on at Lane and was playing QB there, but that has been a while. Rocky was/is a great kid...dated one of my sisters BFF's daughter for three or four years during and after high school, and he was a kick to be around. I'd have to put Randy Hayes, Jim Hehe ( Riverside's bball coach ), Jeff & John Rogers, Eric Hampton, and Jeff Walker in the running for "male athlete". Probably have to go Jeff Walker as the favorite...7 footer who was a shoo in to go pro basketball barring a back injury...but I'm aging myself now so I'd better stop...LOL!!!

Oh...for agreeing to disagree...absolutely!!! If I were on your side of the fence I'd probably take the same position as you on the matter...no ill will intended.  

Edited by tradertwo

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the discussion about the "split" seems to pertain to football, but let's remember that there are other sports involved...I just learned that CPA has "acquired" the #1 basketball prospect in the entire nation, a point guard from Cedar Rapids Iowa. Come on guys, I realize that most privates are "casual" compared to the way that Maddux aggressively exploits the rule advantages that the privates hold over the publics, but he and the administration at CPA are doing a great job of showing everyone just how much an advantage that there is if fully exploited. Just makes me want to shake my head that the TSSAA expects public schools to compete year after year against such odds, and that the interest of fairness is even considered if nothing is done.

• Upvote 1

confucius say...TC had about 28 or so on the roster, how does Adamsville end up with 80?...They must be in a large open zone county and all the athletes pick Aville?  kinda like Alcoa and Maryville huh? Looks like maybe the open zoned schools need to be put in D2 with the privates?

Edited by confuciuschang

I am sure this kid from Iowa just showed up in Nashville and was drawn to CPA. Public schools need to stand up and be heard. This latest recruit is just rubbing it in the public schools face.

Supposedly he had offers from all the other privates in Nashville, but his mom chose to pay $15K for CPA because of the Christian education.   Plus the fact that he's living with a minister and his family, so he's getting double the Christian thing....also, since a minister's involved, it's got to be ok, right?