TSSAA to Vote on Public/Private Split

bobcatfan300

Back in 2010, the private school I cover played for the 2A state title in football during a magical season.  During the regular season, I think that we may of had 24-28 kids on the entire team.  For the playoffs, we dressed about 35 as the coach had some of our 8th graders in uniform on the sideline just so we would have players on the sideline.  We only played maybe 14 kids who saw any action at all.  We only finished 3rd in our district and got in the playoffs on a wild card. 

I do have a clue as to what it takes to play and win with small numbers.  It's called hard work, dedication, and sacrafice.

One question.....was your 14 kids that played both sides of the ball the same as our 14 kids year in and year out? What I mean is, were they local, small town kids that, for the most part, had been a part of that school system for 9, 10, 11 years? "Homeboys"?

All of you make valid points. However, some are off topic. This should not be a forum to ridicule private schools, nor the parents who want their kid to attend them.

However, parents should pull their heads out of the clouds and simply understand there is an unfair advantage regarding how they can DIRECTLY or indirectly recruit/entice or simply offer more then public schools can! It's not the private schools fault but we are talking about athletics here. Field or court can public schools offer the same facilities, opportunities, or financial gain in an education?

That is my two cents on where the foundation of the issue/competitive advantage lies.

Edited by wbryguy

All this talk about splits and private schools is just what it is basically just TALK. TSSAA will do whatever they want and will especially follow the money. Plain and simple "money talks and BS walks" according to TSSAA. Here is something to think about: I have played sports and coached numerous sports teams but what if tomorrow all sports were taken out of school? Would everyone be as passionate about our childrens studies? Would we strive for a 32 on the ACT? I truly think we ALL miss the point. It's the childs education that carries them thru the rest of their life. Yeah we all play 4 qtrs but what about the 5th qtr, when the real world slaps them in the face and sports is no longer there? Can't do much with the powers to be (TSSAA) but you can help your childs education. Would you rather have your child score 30pts or have your child score a 30 on the ACT?

• Upvote 1

The best high school education in the world won't do you squat without good work ethic, determination, and discipline, which sports (when properly coached/taught) teaches children better than almost anything else I can think of.

And even if you don't get a great quality education, those qualities will still get you somewhere in life.

• Upvote 1

The best high school education in the world won't do you squat without good work ethic, determination, and discipline, which sports (when properly coached/taught) teaches children better than almost anything else I can think of.

And even if you don't get a great quality education, those qualities will still get you somewhere in life.

Good Point. It takes hard work, year around to compete at a high level this day and time.

Goodpasture in District 8-A with Trousdale County and Christ Presbyterian Academy in District 12-AA with Lewis County.

Am I the only one to find it interesting that there is one common thread (person) associated with these two schools? Maybe we can't fault coach Maddux for building his team the way he has, perhaps it's how he learned the game as a player...

I was certainly not involved in basketball in Middle Tennessee at the time that Coach Maddux was at Goodpasture- back in the early 90's- but my understanding has always been that the "architect" of that basketball team (which included Ron Mercer and Sam Howard) was Coach Maddux's dad- so I suspect that this may be a learned behavior.  Perhaps some people who did have involvement back in the 90's would like to weigh in????

Well then maybe we can't really fault him for his team building strategies, sounds like they are well ingrained.

One question.....was your 14 kids that played both sides of the ball the same as our 14 kids year in and year out? What I mean is, were they local, small town kids that, for the most part, had been a part of that school system for 9, 10, 11 years? "Homeboys"?

Yes they were just as 80 % of our FB team this year.

Great article and shows why there should be a split.  All everyone worries about is Basketball and Football and in reality the privates dominate the minor sports.  The publics just get so uproared about FB and BB.  Watch the A-AA spring sports and see the vast majority of private school participants.  No one is saying that they are all recruited, but it is apples to bowling balls comparing the advantages that the privates have.