McNairy

mcnairy

Well Franks and Alldridge resigned from football according to my sources. Franks would not be a good hire in my opinion. Look at baseball. Some of best talent in the state and he couldnt even get out of districts. I been saying for years that until parents and bossters are told to stay away they will not win at McNairy. There is talent there and plenty of it. Just need someone that is willing to take it slow and build brick by brick. Get kids in weight room and working hard in offseason. Winning will come but will take time.

Not to sound rude but baseball has advanced out of district 3 out of 4 the last four years and have a 90-61 record over those same four years, so don't bash Coach Franks and the baseball program.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiring assistants is problematic...it requires that you find people who fit academic positions at the school, leave middle school early, or meet non certified requirements and settle for the coaching supplement only.If the right guy is hired and left alone to coach as he wishes, the assistant coaching will come around or be replaced as jobs come open, provided that the administration is supportive.

Boosters, parents, administrators, and self appointed know-it-all's who feel entitled to some form of input regarding personnel and/or play calling are potential problems at most programs, but most coaches are protected by their principal or DOS from consequences of their complaints. Not trying to place blame on anyone, but someone has to step up and have the coaches' back instead of folding to outside pressure. With the recent track record in football, and the rumors flying about both boys and girls basketball coaches' jobs being in jeopardy, something has to change if any of the programs have a chance to be successful. Albert Einstein famously quoted; "insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result", and my grandfather used to be fond of saying "do what you've always done, and you'll get what you've always got", and I have a hard time believing that all the hires made in the last decade have been as bad as the end result.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to sound rude but baseball has advanced out of district 3 out of 4 the last four years and have a 90-61 record over those same four years, so don't bash Coach Franks and the baseball program.

Please dont take my comments as bashing the kids. I know most of them and they a great hardworking kids with a lot of talent.

This is becoming interesting. Those in the know claim 35-40 people applied for the job. You would think if that many applied at least one or two of them would be highly qualified and an attractive fit. Or, maybe not that many people applied and none standout. Whatever the case, time is ticking and spring is just around the corner. if they don't want to be even further behind the eight ball, iny miny miny mo it and go with someone.

This is becoming interesting. Those in the know claim 35-40 people applied for the job. You would think if that many applied at least one or two of them would be highly qualified and an attractive fit. Or, maybe not that many people applied and none standout. Whatever the case, time is ticking and spring is just around the corner. if they don't want to be even further behind the eight ball, iny miny miny mo it and go with someone.

I agree. We are past MLK day and these kids still don't know who will coach them in 2016. Not trying to be rude but what's the hold up McNairy? Are they trying to hit the homerun? Most coaching positions across the state have been filled. We are within a week away from February, and primarily two months away from Spring ball. Time is ticking away. TICK TOCK TICK TOCK!

I think money may be the issue. Mcnairy co. Hoses their coaches with a percentage based not on their current salary but on a starting salary from 15 years ago. From what I understand the coaching supplement for a high school head coach is prob under 5k before taxes, which pretty much means they are doing it for love of the game. This amount never increases either from what I understand. Teachers salary goes up for 15 years for every year of service a few hundred dollars per insider, but supplement never increases no matter years of service or coaching record. Coaches elsewhere make much more and prob when they found this out they pulled their application. Just a guess on the situation but mcnairy co coaches pay is public record. Sad but you will have to find someone very hungry to prove themselves and unless the booster club pitches in they are probably looking at hiring a first time head coach with something to prove.

Edited by 9oldschool5

Nothing wrong with a first time coach, the best of them had to be a "newbie" someplace. With the state of the program and the low stipend, doing some research and taking a chance on a first timer probably is the safest bet to get a good one anyhow.

The downtime between the last coach and hiring his successor is an issue. Lots of programs have made changes and moved on already, and with each hire the list of prospects get's shorter. Spring practice may be a ways off yet, but you'll never see the "established" programs prolong the process of interviews and pulling the trigger. Just better to have a coach in place...Scotts Hill paid our current coach to drive up and run the program after hours, and in the process he got to know the coaches, players, parents, and familiarized himself with the administration and facilities. There are simply "right" and "wrong" ways to accomplish the same objective, and the sooner that a coach is in place, the better for all involved.

Why the rush to make a hire just to hire a coach?  Spring practice is two months away. A coach would unlikely be able to leave their school in January.  My hope is to get the best coach possible and allow him to begin to build the program.

The offseason doesn't begin in March/April. The offseason begins in January. For the teams that don't make the playoffs, there offseason begin the week after Thanksgiving. Fortunately, some teams just give their players the whole rest of the first semester in order to let their players be kids and enjoy time with there friends. Usually lifting weights for two weeks is pointless when you're about to take another 2-3 weeks for the Holidays.

Once again, the offseason begins in January. While most new coaches are in the process of moving their family, some coaches have already moved. They are at there new school and hit the ground running. While, McNairy is patiently waiting for a home run hire. If McNairy wants to wait to get the "right" guy (knowing they won't compete in 2016), then I can understand it.

All you guys are right on. First it's an injustice to the kids who are out there everyday and still have no idea who's leading them. We have assistants walking out as well. They deserve better.

Secondly, pretty much all applicants wasn't very appealing and the income won't lure a proven winner.

And finally, I just hope that the "ones" involved with the last couple hires and fires don't have input In this hire. If so, we will be in the same place in two years as we are now. It's time to make a call and do the best we can and do it now. This political BS has become a comedy show for whoever Is watching!