Metro Rankings

bleacher

47 minutes ago, cbg said:

Father Ryan is not a good team and has not been a good team for many years

They are not very good in their league. But last year they beat Baylor and MUS and were in it with McCallie. And even this year they beat a pretty good Brentwood team and Cane Ridge who has beaten CPA and Pearl. So you’re not really comparing apples to apples. 

Toni Brunetti is as good as any coach who has ever coached in Metro Nashville.  I was around "back in the day" also and can tell you, Brunetti is better than most of those guys who coached in the 70s/80s/90s.  I am always in awe of how tough and physical his teams are whenever we (MBA) play them.  Last year, my guess is PC had about 15-20 kids who played in the game.  Just about everyone playing both ways, in awful heat.  And they physically whipped us.  Even this year, when we won big, your kids are going to feel it the next day because those guys want to tackle....and that is not the case with some of the teams you see on Friday nights.

6 minutes ago, workinprogress said:

Hey Navy, whats your experience within metro? Or are you just looking from a competitors view? Just curious. I strongly disagree with you. Brunetti is a good coach and has a lot of success. However I'm not sure he is even the best coach that has been at PC much less metro.

My brother and I played at MBA in the 80s-90s, in the pre-split days, when most of the schedule was against Metro Nashville teams.  My son plays for MBA now.  I would take Toni Brunetti over any of the Metro coaches I ever played against back then.  Bubba Spears had a good run at Stratford, and I think it was Coure who coached at Whites Creek and took that team with Shelton Quarles and Robert Davis to the 3A semi-finals in '89.  Those are the only 2 from that era I'd put on par with Brunetti.

Metro has some really good coaches , it's tougher coaching in todays day than the early eras. It's way more obstacles .The metro kids are being snatched more than ever in todays era . Old metro had good coaches but they didn't have to worry about their players going to another school due to an academy or education offer neither, and for the record some of those great old school coaches recruited as well let's not act like that. I'm 100% sure of it , I was around . HB , CR , PC ,EN have all went to a state championship.  CR went to a state championship in the highest classification. That's real impressive. 

4 minutes ago, Hurricane717 said:

Metro has some really good coaches , it's tougher coaching in todays day than the early eras. It's way more obstacles .The metro kids are being snatched more than ever in todays era . Old metro had good coaches but they didn't have to worry about their players going to another school due to an academy or education offer neither, and for the record some of those great old school coaches recruited as well let's not act like that. I'm 100% sure of it , I was around . HB , CR , PC ,EN have all went to a state championship.  CR went to a state championship in the highest classification. That's real impressive. 

Curious to see if McGavock and Overton are as improved as their record indicates. Albeit they haven’t played anyone. McGavock plays Smyrna this week.

Hurricane you bring up some interesting points. I'm not sure it more difficult today. Different certainly but there have always been obstacles. Have metro coaches recruited before, just read through some old pages. I think you are right. But I dont think it happened nearly as much and I don't think it happened hardly at all between other metro schools. Brunette wouldn't have been as easy on the coaches. Metro has always had some level of success. However, today it's a matter of who can attract the best players and those teams have success where the others are doing good to field complete teams. 

40 minutes ago, workinprogress said:

Hurricane you bring up some interesting points. I'm not sure it more difficult today. Different certainly but there have always been obstacles. Have metro coaches recruited before, just read through some old pages. I think you are right. But I dont think it happened nearly as much and I don't think it happened hardly at all between other metro schools. Brunette wouldn't have been as easy on the coaches. Metro has always had some level of success. However, today it's a matter of who can attract the best players and those teams have success where the others are doing good to field complete teams. 

Agreed! Half of todays shenanigans would not of flew with him ! He had way more control / power . 

12 hours ago, workinprogress said:

Going back to the 60's, 70's and 80's all metro high schools offered a class that the other metro schools did not offer.  Students were allowed to request to take that one class and therefore attend the school of their choice provided they provide their own transportation to and from school.  The truth of the matter is that the one class got the student in the building, and no one ever checked to make sure that they continued to take the class after the first semester.  Just one example would be the great baseball teams at McGavock and the actual school zones that those teams represented.  This happened at every MNPS and was especially prevalent in basketball more so than in football.  

Edited by cbg

probably some things are harder today, and some things are easier.  Back in the 70s-80s, those coaches were facing a completely different animal in what private schools were.  Mainly, that private schools had exactly 4 spots on a football team for financial aid recipients.  Now, it's unlimited, and there are a lot more private schools with spots and $$ for Nashville-area kids.  I read recently that at Overton HS, in the student body, there are at least 40+ different languages spoken at home.  That is not what Coutras was dealing with in the 80s.  Not to mention just in general the steady decades-long decline in enrollment in the MNPS system, and the impact of the pandemic.

I'll take Brunetti and Stewart over 90% of the guys coaching in Metro in the 70s/80s.   More often than not those metro teams that made the playoffs from district 12-AAA were one and done, and they only got there in the first place by beating each other.  I'd be curious to know how many playoff wins combined Metro had from the beginning of the play-offs in 1970 until the split in 1997.