Fayetteville to forfeit 6 wins

MidTennFootball

4 minutes ago, PullinGuard said:

It's mentioned in the rules, but I cannot believe this decision is in agreement with the spirit of the rule.  If applied this way, there could likely be dozens or of schools in TN with ineligible kids, all over the state. 

For example, there are no Lincoln County buses that pick up inside the city of Fayetteville to my knowledge, but kids from Fayetteville do now and always have attended LCHS - should every LCHS win in history be forfeited?  Many kids who are technically 'zoned' to attend Franklin County HS attend Huntland instead, you just have to provide your own transportation (Though bus routes are separate, you've generally been welcome to attend whichever high school you like in FC, provided you can get there).  Good chance every team at Huntland has an ineligible kid now and probably always has had, if bus routes alone govern.  There would be a few at FCHS where the opposite is true - Huntland bus runs by their house instead.  There's a family with a son in Huntland in athletics and a daughter at FCHS in athletics.

I can't believe that Lincoln County and Franklin County are the only two who would have dozens or hundreds of historical teams who would have to forfeit all games if the bus route rule governs.  I'll bet there are dozens and dozens of schools that would be affected.  How about Marion Co and SPitt - what are the boundaries and bus routes over there?  I have no idea. 

I think this has a world more tentacles than anyone at TSSAA realizes at the moment.  There might be a big number of playoff teams with ineligible players if this is applied across the board.  Tullahoma has no buses, but allows kids from inside Franklin County and outside of Tullahoma to attend.  Do they have to abandon athletics? 

Good post, valid points.  But, as has been mentioned (to us), TSSAA is aware of other schools in the same predicament, but they have not received or formally recognized any complaint against those schools.  Guess if your team isn't successful on the field, you don't have to worry about someone reporting you.

6 minutes ago, Varo said:

Good post, valid points.  But, as has been mentioned (to us), TSSAA is aware of other schools in the same predicament, but they have not received or formally recognized any complaint against those schools.  Guess if your team isn't successful on the field, you don't have to worry about someone reporting you.

Best approach might be for Fayetteville to file about two dozen protests of playoff schools, right before the appeal is heard.

23 minutes ago, Varo said:

The word around LC is that Huntland coaches snitched Fayetteville City out after the loss.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Varo said:

Varo the player played in Alabama last year,had not previously played in Tenn at any time then transferred to FHS in Tenn which is open zoned and accepts county and city kids???Os this what i read or did i miss something?

Edited by orngnblk

32 minutes ago, Volnation66 said:

The word around LC is that Huntland coaches snitched Fayetteville City out after the loss.

Might turn out to be a mistake.  There's no question at all that Huntland has kids who went to North or South Middle Schools on their roster, and those kids would normally attend FCHS.  I'd say there's a 99+% chance they are playing kids who are not served by a bus route.

Edited by PullinGuard

3 minutes ago, PullinGuard said:

Might turn out to be a mistake.  There's no question at all that Huntland has kids who went to North or South Middle Schools on their roster, and those kids would normally attend FCHS.  I'd say there's a 99+% chance they are playing kids who are not served by a bus route.

According to a few Lincoln County residents, Huntland has a player on their team currently that lives in Lincoln County.

15 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

Varo the player played in Alabama last year,had not previously played in Tenn at any time then transferred to FHS in Tenn which is open zoned and accepts county and city kids???Os this what i read or did i miss something?

Varo can respond for sure, but this is exactly how I understand it.  Any kid in LC is welcome at Fayetteville HS and always has been.  Ruling says that since this kid is outside of the city and not served by a bus route (in-city routes only), that he's ineligible.

100% guaranteed Lincoln County has kids in the opposite situation.  Live in the city (no county buses pick up in town), play at LCHS.  Only difference is, no playoffs for LCHS.

As I've noted, definitely kids playing at Huntland who aren't served by a Huntland bus route (open zoning in FC, but bus routes are specific to schools). 

1 minute ago, Volnation66 said:

According to a few Lincoln County residents, Huntland has a player on their team currently that lives in Lincoln County.

Can't speak to that, but I can almost guarantee there are kids served by FCHS buses playing for Huntland.  And that's often been the case for decades, I'm sure.  Now and then a kid on Huntland's bus route plays athletics at FCHS.

I will say, it wouldn't be all that unusual for a kid in Elora to prefer the five mile drive to Huntland over the 20-30 minute drive to FHS or LCHS. 

This is a really big can of worms that they're opening, imo.