Milan searching for a new skipper..... again.

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

5 minutes ago, Mtown38 said:

I would have give him more years, Milan plays in the toughest region in West Tn and also the toughest schedule. The emergence of S Gibson has also weaken Milan football.  

Fair points, but in the hands of a good HC, Milan goes 7-3, 8-2 at least in the regular season. Pettigrew's comments in the paper does nothing but justify their position. 

3 hours ago, FridayMainEvent said:

My understanding is game management was also another huge factor.  I had another Coach tell me that poor clock management is what cost them the game last week.  Should of ran the field goal unit on the field with 30 seconds remaining and kicked the tying field goal.   As another poster said, you lose the rival games, you won't be around for long at a program with the history Milan has.  

Really hate that he pulled out the race card.   If he'd been successful, as the Milan administration obviously thought he would, we wouldn't be having this conversation.   He failed to get the job done with a team most of us media had preseason top three so he was rightfully ask to step aside.

What is a race card? Most wouldn’t understand the obstacles faced of becoming a black head coach in rural west TN. 

Take for example Huntingdon, Coach Mansfield underachieved for years before being able to make it passed the 1st couple of rounds of the playoffs.  

16 minutes ago, Mtown38 said:

I would have give him more years, Milan plays in the toughest region in West Tn and also the toughest schedule. The emergence of S Gibson has also weaken Milan football.  

This will likely change if the TSSAA follows through with the potential plan to go back to 5 classifications.  They may then be one of the larger schools in 2A and Milan will miraculously return to their winning ways as the level of competition drops to schools more their size.  

1 minute ago, riverrat said:

This will likely change if the TSSAA follows through with the potential plan to go back to 5 classifications.  They may then be one of the larger schools in 2A and Milan will miraculously return to their winning ways as the level of competition drops to schools more their size.  

A state title and four runner up finishes in 3A says they were pretty successful there. 

2 minutes ago, riverrat said:

Doesn't matter how reclassification shakes out, if Milan hires a good HC, they're going to be tough to beat. The talent is already there

4 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

A state title and four runner up finishes in 3A says they were pretty successful there. 

No doubt! 

The biggest difference if there are 5 classes and my point is: No privates, no Alcoa=More State Championships=Better Applicants for your job.

But if you want to play up I am sure everyone will respect you for doing so.

Mtown who is exactly is the "most" you described? Most people, most hispanics, most white people, most black people or what? As for the rest of your statement there are challenges that face every coach. Can you imagine the challenges a white coach might face in inner city Nashville or Memphis. Challenges are just that but the winners out there don't talk about the challenges as an excuse but rather as an opportunity to grow and serve a community to grow. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mtown38 said:

What is a race card? Most wouldn’t understand the obstacles faced of becoming a black head coach in rural west TN. 

Take for example Huntingdon, Coach Mansfield underachieved for years before being able to make it passed the 1st couple of rounds of the playoffs.  

His race had nothing to do with this dismissal in my opinion.   I don't like it when that is used as an excuse unless you can show specific instances in which that was used against you.   I don't feel most black Coaches today would use that as a reason they were dismissed from a job... (at least I hope not).   I've had many black Coaches on my show, Floyd Walker, Eddie Woods, Rodney Saulsberry, Telli White, Alvin Palmer, and Steve Hookfin just to name a few.    I can tell you without a doubt I'd put any of those guys up against any Coach of any color and they won't lose many games.   We've got to get past this perceived racial inequality at some point in our society.  

If he has specific instances were this happened, by all means, get it in the open.   Don't just make a blanket statement without any proof it happened.   That's all I'm saying.

6 minutes ago, FridayMainEvent said:

His race had nothing to do with this dismissal in my opinion.   I don't like it when that is used as an excuse unless you can show specific instances in which that was used against you.   I don't feel most black Coaches today would use that as a reason they were dismissed from a job... (at least I hope not).   I've had many black Coaches on my show, Floyd Walker, Eddie Woods, Rodney Saulsberry, Telli White, Alvin Palmer, and Steve Hookfin just to name a few.    I can tell you without a doubt I'd put any of those guys up against any Coach of any color and they won't lose many games.   We've got to get past this perceived racial inequality at some point in our society.  

If he has specific instances were this happened, by all means, get it in the open.   Don't just make a blanket statement without any proof it happened.   That's all I'm saying.

I’m not talking about  black coaches that are in predominantly black areas of the state or predominantly black schools. Those coaches probably have not experienced in racial setbacks. I’m talking about the rural west Tn Schools that rarely have black head coaches.  In these areas you have to be extraordinary to say the least. You will not get the time that other coaches or given to succeed.  The coaches you named didn’t start out winning 8,9, or 10 games the first few years as a head coach.  It takes time. 

Milan is a great program but it’s not like y’all have 3, 4 , 5 star recruits like the serious powerhouse programs have throughout the state.  Humble yourselves