Springfield and Elizabethton in the 4A Championship

gr8tplay

7 minutes ago, EHSTrack06 said:

We got some real smart ones on this thread. EHS has had success before Rollins and Maupin. This year is a combination of hard work and young players stepping up. Guarantee there less than a handful of teams not named Alcoa or Maryville that could beat Greeneville twice in one year. This year's team is for real and possibly one of the best ones to come through since 2016 when they went toe for toe with Alcoa. Springfield looks like a solid team but EHS has played some solid teams. What I want to know is what does Springfield bring to the table that Nolensville and Greeneville did not have? What surprises does your team have? 

I’m not sure what Nolensville or Greeneville had that I could compare to Springfield. The Jackets are basically what you see is what you get. Each week we’ve had a different game plan depending on the opponent the last 4-5 weeks. Weeks 10 and 11 we came out and played smash mouth football. Round one of the playoffs we came out throwing the deep ball. It’s no secret what we do to the coaches that watch our film I’m sure. We will line up and run the football. We don’t throw it all over the place but can throw it enough to open up the run. Our junior qb can be somewhat sporadic at times. The one thing that won’t show up on film is the heart this team has. I know everyone says the same about their team, but this team has a will to not lose unlike any I’ve seen in a while. They just do what it takes. 

It is true that Etown is loaded with county kids and county coaches(Whitehead is from Cloudland as a coach along with Harrison who if I remember correctly is from HV) SO WHAT,and alot of times we act like we know ever child's situation,which we don't know what is going on in the family life,Hughes dad lives in roan mtn but he went to Hampton in Jr high so we don't know what went on,all I know is he is at e town and is doing great,I would have to say every school in the state has at least one kid or coach from somewhere else.But when you start talking about the quality of education at different schools that's where I have to say if your child doesn't have the desire for a quality education it doesn't matter where the child goes,it all starts at Home.Etown 28 Springfield 14 good luck to both teams safe travels and an injury free game

1 hour ago, EHSTrack06 said:

We got some real smart ones on this thread. EHS has had success before Rollins and Maupin. This year is a combination of hard work and young players stepping up. Guarantee there less than a handful of teams not named Alcoa or Maryville that could beat Greeneville twice in one year. This year's team is for real and possibly one of the best ones to come through since 2016 when they went toe for toe with Alcoa. Springfield looks like a solid team but EHS has played some solid teams. What I want to know is what does Springfield bring to the table that Nolensville and Greeneville did not have? What surprises does your team have? 

I am going to be honest with you, what Springfield has cant be quantified, great coaching, a lot of grit, and just a will to win. On film we will not wow anyone, however we get it done, we beat a very very good team last night, no one picked us outside of our own fans and we pretty much expect the same thing this week. Haywood lost 1 game to Miss. powerhouse Olive Branch while also beating 5A power Henry Co., go watch some of their games online, very big, fast, impressive athletes. Our coaches will have us prepared as possible and we will give it all we got...

Edited by Kevin38
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I read the first three or four pages and had seen  enough about recruiting .Don't know if it got worked out or care.Here is my thoughts, atleast on the young man that came over from DB.Great young man and great brother from what I ever heard one of my kids say and fine father from just talking to him at J fred.To me,it's that families business as to why they moved or any of it.I said years ago that I would have loved for my kids to play for coach Ballard in Greeneville but my work was in Kingsport.Wish I'd stayed there and drove those extra miles every day.It would be the same if I had family in Elizabethton,what a great place to have your son play ball and it's not that far over here.I'm happy for that family and the football program in Elizabethton and hope they get it done next week.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BatmanDevil said:

I read the first three or four pages and had seen  enough about recruiting .Don't know if it got worked out or care.Here is my thoughts, atleast on the young man that came over from DB.Great young man and great brother from what I ever heard one of my kids say and fine father from just talking to him at J fred.To me,it's that families business as to why they moved or any of it.I said years ago that I would have loved for my kids to play for coach Ballard in Greeneville but my work was in Kingsport.Wish I'd stayed there and drove those extra miles every day.It would be the same if I had family in Elizabethton,what a great place to have your son play ball and it's not that far over here.I'm happy for that family and the football program in Elizabethton and hope they get it done next week.

Yeah we finally got passed all that mess, really wanting to just talk about the game now...

Just now, BetsyCyclones16 said:

How does Springfield look in the trenches?  Do any of the guys go both ways on the line?

We do have some players going both ways but we do alot of subbing in and out, especially on the line, if we didn't Haywood with their huge line would have just worn us down, our coaches do a great job of managing this...

2 hours ago, JacketLover said:

This year’s team is stronger on defense, but not as strong on offense. This year’s defense is senior heavy, I think we start 6-7 seniors on defense, whereas on offense we only start two. The 2017 team had more dynamic offensive talent and was a better passing team. The 2019 team is far more run heavy on offense, but Hudson can throw it well at times. The 2019 team has basically the same coaches, except there are two different assistants that started this year. This year’s staff has done an excellent job at using this team’s strengths, which really were only learned as the season wore on. Springfield’s teams always seem to get better as the season progresses. People will point to the Marshall County loss and say we aren’t as good as teams on the eastern side of the bracket. I’m here to tell you that the team that is facing Elizabethton isn’t the same team that faced Marshall County. This team is leaps and bounds better. They also play within themselves very well, and don’t try to do things they can’t. It as fundamentally sound a Springfield team as I can remember. That’s a direct result of good coaching. 

I don't think anyone thinks this Springfield team is the same team in week 6 against Marshall Co.  Besty has a Stingy D if this teams isn't as good on offense they will need to force some turnovers to win then.  This Betsy D is better than the 17 team that held Greeneville to 24 points in IMO.  Should be the most competitive 4a State Championship since 2014.

3 minutes ago, Kevin38 said:

We are pretty good on the line on both sides, not huge but technically sound with a lot of dog in them, good weight program so they are strong, conditioned young men...

Greeneville said the same thing.  And then in the 2nd half lots of hands on hips.  We don’t go both ways on the line and it’s really showed this year.