COVID-19 2020 HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SEASON

4 hours ago, LouPickney said:

There was a staggering lack of mask compliance and enforcement at last night's JP2/Smyrna game, at least on the Smyrna side where I was.

It was simultaneously great to be at a sports event for the first time in several months and extremely off-putting to see the mask requests from the PA announcer be completely no-sold/ignored. More kids without masks than with them. Social distancing was non-existent.

And it wasn't just the kids with all of that. I greatly resented the people whose indifference put me (and others) at risk. If I hadn't needed to be there, I wouldn't have gone.

But prep work is non-optional for a broadcaster, and I've got JP2 in week 4. Because JP2 inexplicably didn't livestream it, and I don't think Smyrna does any streaming, the only way I was seeing that game was in person.

So I went. But I wasn't happy about it. At all.

Wear your mask and shield and leave the rest of us alone. Do you really think kids are social distancing anywhere? People are so misinformed by media that people in Nashville are frightened to death for no reason. Is this going to be how we act when flu season comes back? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, LouPickney said:

There was a staggering lack of mask compliance and enforcement at last night's JP2/Smyrna game, at least on the Smyrna side where I was.

It was simultaneously great to be at a sports event for the first time in several months and extremely off-putting to see the mask requests from the PA announcer be completely no-sold/ignored. More kids without masks than with them. Social distancing was non-existent.

And it wasn't just the kids with all of that. I greatly resented the people whose indifference put me (and others) at risk. If I hadn't needed to be there, I wouldn't have gone.

But prep work is non-optional for a broadcaster, and I've got JP2 in week 4. Because JP2 inexplicably didn't livestream it, and I don't think Smyrna does any streaming, the only way I was seeing that game was in person.

Hope all went well and there will be no negatives . this can have an impact on future games and gatherings. it was nice to see kids playing football and fans at games. metro kids are not even in contact practice yet.

Edited by fb247

6 hours ago, LouPickney said:

I watched the Elizabethton game on TV and it looked like they tried to do it right for the most part.I guess many of those that were lucky enough to get seats didn't want to lose them or take a chance of it.

9 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Salem, what is sad is that I was referring to people on both extremes of the aisle here. And it is no surprise to me that you were the first to respond.

I have seen you, and others, continue to obliterate measured, and sometimes conflicted, responses in this thread repeatedly, and I just don't get it. Why? Why not solely focus your energy on folks like DJ or Grizz, who think the world is burning and we must retreat to the nearest fallout shelter? Instead, you go after every single individual who doesn't have the same 100% verbatim attitude/opinion on this. 

Pardon me for feeling conflicted. I lost a healthy middle aged co-worker to this mess, and my cousin (travelling ER nurse) just came off of a ventilator from her own COVID battle, so you'll have to understand why some folks are a little more cautious and conflicted than others. That doesn't make me soft, un-American, or a liberal. It makes me human, and I just want to better understand what we are dealing with.

I just wish some of you guys would show a tiny bit of compassion for those who might have a good reason for feeling a tiny bit conflicted. And if that means we just agree to disagree, that's a lot better than ridicule. 

I understand what your saying 100% and I also understand the other side of this.That as some say is what makes me on the fence about what the truth is and how the country has tried to make it political. Ive got young heathy sons and I know they are bullet proof in their minds . I also have one that is a police officer your going to say " yes sir " to ,when he speaks to you.He has one of those underlying conditions and it's not being old or fat .He knows it's a risk but does his job every day.I do my part for not only old people but for people that put their lives on the line every day . I'm not just talking about Covid because there are a lot of things that will kill you .I got my flu shot already and a little early because the other side of this is also correct.The flu kills .To myself  the flu is like a mountain lion that mostly hunts a few months every year.  Covid is similar but more like a Tiger that we already see hunts every month with the same hunger. We live with both and really the biggest difference is we own a  small .22 to protect us.It sometimes stops the Mountain lion but will just make the Tiger mad.

8 hours ago, LouPickney said:

Why didn’t you volunteer and go tell people to put their mask on?? Schools don’t have enough people to do this.

11 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Why didn’t you volunteer and go tell people to put their mask on?? Schools don’t have enough people to do this.

Yep, that works even better at Walmart. We can talk trash on coacht or online Fox news because it's just our opinions and it can be fun. None of us are going to get anyone converted like in  religion. My attitude on this is like talking to my best friend who is an atheist .He has read every text on about every religion there is ,several times .He loves to prove there is no way any of them are correct and you might as well believe in the tooth fairy.  I agree with him that not everyone can be 100% correct because I've seen three different kinds of Baptist sit in the break room and each say the other two were going to heck.Always we end it somewhat this way.I tell him that I  hope God has forgiveness and loves all humans as I love my kid's with zero conditions and understands he made everyone of us imperfect.If that's not the case, I just hope if anyone has is right, it's not you.

From what I saw at the Halls vs Gibbs TV game and the game I was at last night, it seemed a good effort is being made to wear masks and socially distance (placing band members in seats 6 feet apart in the end zone) however in the stands, the social distances went away when the game started. especially in student sections. But I am still for playing unless there are local outbreaks, this virus is sneaky and relentless and the bad news is someone may have it and never show symtoms and give it to someone which it kills. I was glad to watch live football last night and I took care of myself, which everybody needs to try to do. I hope they come up with something to stop it (vaccine and theurapudics). I hate it for everybody.

Here In Washington state we were the first to get a virus and have done a really good job but staying staggered in phase 2. Just found out one our local hospitals has a major outbreak.....even with precautions this virus is sneaky. It will go away and then boom it's back stronger than ever. I hope the High Schools students and staff continue to adhere to safety. The health of everyone and the health of this years season depends on it. Our Hospital just outside Seattle is now shut down for now.

14 minutes ago, Mavericksinflight said:

Here In Washington state we were the first to get a virus and have done a really good job but staying staggered in phase 2. Just found out one our local hospitals has a major outbreak.....even with precautions this virus is sneaky. It will go away and then boom it's back stronger than ever. I hope the High Schools students and staff continue to adhere to safety. The health of everyone and the health of this years season depends on it. Our Hospital just outside Seattle is now shut down for now.

Washington state's leadership has been disgraceful for the last 6 months. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, BatmanLives said:

Yep, that works even better at Walmart. We can talk trash on coacht or online Fox news because it's just our opinions and it can be fun. None of us are going to get anyone converted like in  religion. My attitude on this is like talking to my best friend who is an atheist .He has read every text on about every religion there is ,several times .He loves to prove there is no way any of them are correct and you might as well believe in the tooth fairy.  I agree with him that not everyone can be 100% correct because I've seen three different kinds of Baptist sit in the break room and each say the other two were going to heck.Always we end it somewhat this way.I tell him that I  hope God has forgiveness and loves all humans as I love my kid's with zero conditions and understands he made everyone of us imperfect.If that's not the case, I just hope if anyone has is right, it's not you.

I went to two games the last two nights and I thought people stayed away from others and did well. I lived in Middle TN for 12 years and enjoyed it. The 35% property tax hikes, the leaders that allow protests and ban football....I am sure lots of Middle TN folks are fed up with being in jail. 

• Like 2

• CoachT locked this topic