Humboldt coach

12 minutes ago, WarEagleCartman said:

Depends how you measure success in this case. I'm not going to disagree for a second there's a load of mess to clean in Humboldt. But a good coach and getting your athletes out to play can fix a lot. Right now the goal isn't too hoist a gold ball but to play past Halloween. Imo that can easily happen if the right coach is put in place. 

Very true 

On 11/6/2020 at 5:25 AM, lakecounty1968 said:

This job could be a goldmine if the right person get it and the administration buys completley in.

On 11/6/2020 at 7:48 AM, Tide21 said:

The right guy could come in and it still wouldn’t matter. The school board and administration is a mess. The football team can’t succeed without the house being cleared. 

I'm someplace between you two... there's obviously enough talent there to be somewhat competitive, but not to be the Humboldt of old again. With Peabody's dominance just up the road, and South Gibson's "new" facilities and success, some of the fringe kids who focus mainly on football are gone. Add to that the other problems Tide21 mentioned, and 10-0, 9-1 seasons are probably a pipe dream. The coach who just left (haven't heard of him getting a "better" job) had them moving in the right direction with talent returning, but left anyway... something behind the scenes must not be what it should be.

27 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

I'm someplace between you two... there's obviously enough talent there to be somewhat competitive, but not to be the Humboldt of old again. With Peabody's dominance just up the road, and South Gibson's "new" facilities and success, some of the fringe kids who focus mainly on football are gone. Add to that the other problems Tide21 mentioned, and 10-0, 9-1 seasons are probably a pipe dream. The coach who just left (haven't heard of him getting a "better" job) had them moving in the right direction with talent returning, but left anyway... something behind the scenes must not be what it should be.

I agree, but if they start winning again, these fringe kids will come back to Humboldt. There used to be lots of community pride in that program, no reason it can’t get back to that way.

• Upvote 1

On 11/5/2020 at 10:53 PM, WarEagleCartman said:

It'll happen after you fire a hall of fame coach for seemingly no reason. The structure seemed to fall apart. I think Reid was HC in 2013 but you know what I mean. 

It was Reid in 2013. Got to spend some time with him as he was the coach for the west TN all star team my son was on. Really a good coach in my opinion. I wish someone could turn that program in the right direction. 

• 3 weeks later...

I know two that applied for this job. Both of them are not from Humboldt. They would be a big upgrade from Humboldt has had since Bland. I will not say who they are out of respect for them. I have heard through the grapevine that the job will be given to a current coach from the Humboldt community. I really do think that the person doing the hiring for this job needs to go outside of the program.

On 11/6/2020 at 4:31 PM, WarEagleCartman said:

Depends how you measure success in this case. I'm not going to disagree for a second there's a load of mess to clean in Humboldt. But a good coach and getting your athletes out to play can fix a lot. Right now the goal isn't too hoist a gold ball but to play past Halloween. Imo that can easily happen if the right coach is put in place. 

This will never happen as long as round ball is played In HTown.... The BBall coach will not let his players play other sports. Stupid, but it is what it is....  Round will forever champion other sports in Humboldt. 

I also, agree with the other posters. A young coach with no record and the heart of gold could do something with the boys over there. It is really sad to see. Everything is mess.... I hate it for the kids.... The adults are adults.... The kids do not have choice.... SMH.... I hope that Humboldt gets is right. 

16 minutes ago, ManOfMillions said:

This will never happen as long as round ball is played In HTown.... The BBall coach will not let his players play other sports. Stupid, but it is what it is....  Round will forever champion other sports in Humboldt. 

I also, agree with the other posters. A young coach with no record and the heart of gold could do something with the boys over there. It is really sad to see. Everything is mess.... I hate it for the kids.... The adults are adults.... The kids do not have choice.... SMH.... I hope that Humboldt gets is right. 

I agree with @lakecounty1968 they need to go outside because we’ve seen two in house coaches not be successful with getting the real athletes in that school which is the basketball kids. When Coach Bland finally got the guy that was there before to let them play football too they were a special team with speed all around. 

the downfall of that program though, was there booster club forcing Bland out. Humboldt used to be in talks for state just about ever year with Milan, and now they are debating if they can beat Gleason. Sad to really see over that way, we are gonna get them back as a region opponent next season, but the old time instant classic games we used to have is in the back seat now. 

On 11/5/2020 at 9:16 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

If you're a young football coach, that wants to be a head coach, I think Humboldt is a great place to go. In addition, I think it gives Humboldt an opportunity to hit the reset button knowing they have some momentum heading into 2021. Saying that, and despite being in the middle of two lawsuits (and I believe they have lost one of the two), Humboldt administration needs to invest in the program. The Humboldt administration staff has to ask them this question: "either put money into the program, or get rid of it." Look, I don't care what happened to Humboldt in the past, that happened. But I do care about what happens to Humboldt in the future. They basically need a new stadium, badly!! I cannot imagine what the restrooms are like. They desperately need a new concussion stand immediately. Also, their field house need some massive renovations and needs to be pressured washed, too. It's an interesting job, if the Humboldt administration staff does their due diligence. But they just got to give their new coach a fighting chance.

Do you have that many concussions there that you have a special stand for those players?

Ps. I know it was probably an auto correct from above but I could not pass on it.

Good luck on your coaching search. 

On 11/12/2020 at 10:19 PM, WesTNFootball said:

I agree, but if they start winning again, these fringe kids will come back to Humboldt. There used to be lots of community pride in that program, no reason it can’t get back to that way.

What are "fringe" kids?  I assume they're kids who can go to any high school in the county - assuming they start attending there as freshmen?