Shooting at Austin-East...very SAD!

44 minutes ago, KEV-O said:

Maybe break it down in X's and O's for you. There are two kinds of people that carry guns. People that use them for offence and people that use them for defence. Defensive side of the ball is your law abiding citizens who carry to protect themselves their family's and people around them. The offence is your typical criminal that uses a gun to get into your end zone. Every time the offence scores a touchdown your solution is to take the defenses shoulder pads or helmets away even though offence plays by their own rules. Thus making it harder and harder for the defense to protect their end zone. You need to focus on the offence since of the ball Willie that's where the real problem is. 

Pretty good analogy. I still believe defense wins championships, but the the game is changing.

How would special teams fit into that story? Is that the police?

6 minutes ago, strongx said:

Pretty good analogy. I still believe defense wins championships, but the the game is changing.

How would special teams fit into that story? Is that the police?

Special teams are your wildcards. Your criminal that's got their life together or your law abiding citizen who uses a gun in a domestic dispute. The cops are your referees outnumbered and not perfect.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, KEV-O said:

Maybe break it down in X's and O's for you. There are two kinds of people that carry guns. People that use them for offence and people that use them for defence. Defensive side of the ball is your law abiding citizens who carry to protect themselves their family's and people around them. The offence is your typical criminal that uses a gun to get into your end zone. Every time the offence scores a touchdown your solution is to take the defenses shoulder pads or helmets away even though offence plays by their own rules. Thus making it harder and harder for the defense to protect their end zone. You need to focus on the offence since of the ball Willie that's where the real problem is. 

Well put Kev-o , about as good as it could be explained in a football anology. No it's not a perfect world and sometimes even good people  do bad things, but letting the bad guys be the only ones with guns is not the solution either. I don't have the answers but know this much.When I took my family to a movie sometime back and there were warnings all over the country for that movie,I liked seeing a few policeman walking around the theatre.I wouldn't mind  things like metal detectors and more law enforcement at our schools .I personally think it will make a few people start to think in july before they try to shoot up a place when every other person might have a weapon of their own at any point and time. Years ago an uncle of mine was in a pretty rough mountain bar and something went wrong. He said that him and everyone in the place started pulling out " Dirty Harry " looking guns and nobody ended up hurt but the drunk that started the fight was thrown out and left with everything but his pride.Sure that might not be the best example but knowing there is a possible payment just might stop one bad guy and save someones life.

On 4/21/2021 at 1:08 PM, KEV-O said:

What drove a student to potentially even have a gun at school. Why he feels the need to have one. Was he being bullied? Was he the bully? Does he feel he needed to protect himself from possibly other students with gun's? These are questions we can't ask him now but it sounds like there might be more to it then what's on the surface. 

That's a question you can ask any young person at ANY school is why they're carrying a weapon on school property.  The only problem I have out of this whole situation is how everybody is giving AE a bad rep.  This could've happened at any school but the media and OUTSIDERS are claiming it can only happen at AE because of the other killings of the students at AE were all affiliated.  Its just bad and unreal of how many schools are declining to honor AE's spring teams their home games because they are "feeling unsafe!" Come on now, TSSAA won't even issue a win to AE because they have no rule of a team cancelling due to feeling unsafe.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Turtle said:

That's a question you can ask any young person at ANY school is why they're carrying a weapon on school property.  The only problem I have out of this whole situation is how everybody is giving AE a bad rep.  This could've happened at any school but the media and OUTSIDERS are claiming it can only happen at AE because of the other killings of the students at AE were all affiliated.  Its just bad and unreal of how many schools are declining to honor AE's spring teams their home games because they are "feeling unsafe!" Come on now, TSSAA won't even issue a win to AE because they have no rule of a team cancelling due to feeling unsafe.

Yep, it can happen at any school in the state or country.We have seen it at every level from Sandy hook to Virginia Tech and it can be a student or an outside source. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Turtle said:

AE has givin AE a bad reputation. Its a reputation only AE can fix. If teams don't feel safe going to AE that's on AE not the schools that don't want to put their kids in a bad situation. Between the community and school y'all can fix this but something has to be done. 

9 hours ago, Turtle said:

Yep. It’s coming to every school. There is no “shot” for immunity from this. All the schools should start getting prepared.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Turtle said:

Yes it could happen at "any" school. But it doesn't happen at "any" school. There's no way in hades I would attend a sporting event at AE and I dang sure wouldn't allow my kids there. It's not my fault for feeling that way so don't try to shame me. School officials were urged to install metal detectors at all doors because of all the shooting's involving students. But they refused. (Any school official that voted no on that ideal should have already been fired). They instead elected to require students to carry clear plastic back packs instead. As if a student couldn't carry a gun anywhere else. Dumb beyond belief. Now that the video has been released clearly showing the student wearing a "clear plastic backpack" and having a gun in his hoodie pocket they still haven't figured it out. On top of that you have the mother of the girlfriend saying she now wishes she had never called the police. Because you know, what's wrong with a little beatdown for your daughter ever now and then. And then there's this, you have a so called Reverend leading the protest against the police. So you know what is causing all this? It's a lot of very dumb people doing a lot of very dumb things. Call it what it is. 

• Like 2

My opinion here..I wouldn't have a problem with mental detectors and more police at all of our schools and if it's already a problem, it's really crazy not to have extra things in place..If we have trillions of dollars for all kinds of goodies we may or may not need, let's at least make it safer for our kids and grandkids to learn. This is not just an AE problem either. My son had to go with Greeneville high to the championship game a few years ago because some fool ( probably a fan , parent or student of another school ) cut their bus tires the year before . Just like the guns we want to protect for law abiding folks, let's not wait until this comes back to every other school in the state.

1 hour ago, BatmanDB said:

My opinion here..I wouldn't have a problem with mental detectors and more police at all of our schools and if it's already a problem, it's really crazy not to have extra things in place..If we have trillions of dollars for all kinds of goodies we may or may not need, let's at least make it safer for our kids and grandkids to learn. This is not just an AE problem either. My son had to go with Greeneville high to the championship game a few years ago because some fool ( probably a fan , parent or student of another school ) cut their bus tires the year before . Just like the guns we want to protect for law abiding folks, let's not wait until this comes back to every other school in the state.

I'm thinking you meant to say "metal detectors" instead of "mental detectors", but mental detectors would not be a bad ideal.