Top 6A takes on top DivII-AA when Oakland Host Lipscomb Academy

Blaze45

31 minutes ago, JRB said:

What, don't believe in coincidences? ;)

The only coincidence is that they both came from metro privates because their parents realized that their kids would get much more exposure to major college programs.  Seeing all the SEC, ACC, Big Ten scouts on Oakland campus while it's still a big deal, it ain't new.  Scouts are at most every game if not every game.  If Buck's job is to convince talent to move to the boro to play for Oakland, then I want that job.  That's like sellin' a jelly donut to a fat kid.

2 hours ago, ttitan27 said:

The only coincidence is that they both came from metro privates because their parents realized that their kids would get much more exposure to major college programs.  Seeing all the SEC, ACC, Big Ten scouts on Oakland campus while it's still a big deal, it ain't new.  Scouts are at most every game if not every game.  If Buck's job is to convince talent to move to the boro to play for Oakland, then I want that job.  That's like sellin' a jelly donut to a fat kid.

Good point as no player at BA got any exposure.  Oh wait, I have seen BA kids play on Saturdays, Sundays, Super Bowls and Pro Bowls.  In 2017 they finished #6 in the final USA Today poll.  

Obviously much exposure at Oakland without the financial burden and academic workload so I understand the reasoning to transfer.

30 minutes ago, JRB said:

Good point as no player at BA got any exposure.  Oh wait, I have seen BA kids play on Saturdays, Sundays, Super Bowls and Pro Bowls.  In 2017 they finished #6 in the final USA Today poll.  

Obviously much exposure at Oakland without the financial burden and academic workload so I understand the reasoning to transfer.

So true JRB. Ensworth never has any Power 5 conference coaches on their campus either.

Great athletes are all over the state from 6A  down to the smallest 1A programs and are recruited by all the big schools.   I get it and it's true.   I guess I made the observation that they also spend a lot of time around Oakland.   Probably more than most currently.   

Oakland may be public and free but not necessarily easy.   They have an IB academic program there that is as challenging as any in the state.   How many athletes are in the IB program I have no idea.   It's voluntary and gives kids a great heads up on college and college credits as well.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ttitan27 said:

You are the very first person to even mention the defense in any detail that I can recall since the thread started.  I certainly haven't slept on them but just didn't know anything about them.  From a size standpoint I really didn't think Oakland would have a great advantage if any at all.  What Oakland has on defense is great speed and lots of depth.  I've seen lots of teams hang with Oakland for a quarter or maybe even into the second quarter a little but then Oaklands depth will kick in.   

Looking for a good competitive game but I do think Oakland in the end will win by 21.  

7 minutes ago, TTate said:

I’ll go out on a limb and say LA 44-28.  Oakland has never seen a team with more talent and as well coached as LA.  We match up well!

If that works out, ya’ll should start picking out space for that gold ball now. I fear you may be right. And you got moxie, because the 6A folk are about to make fun of the pick...

10 minutes ago, BreadTruck28 said:

If that works out, ya’ll should start picking out space for that gold ball now. I fear you may be right. And you got moxie, because the 6A folk are about to make fun of the pick...

No doubt brother…hard to predict this game but am much more concerned about CPA game next month….we just don’t match up well with you guys…hoping like heck that Oakland can’t replicate your playbook.

Will be a fun next few months…and sincerely hope you guys stay safe and healthy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TTate said:

I’ll go out on a limb and say LA 44-28.  Oakland has never seen a team with more talent and as well coached as LA.  We match up well!

Anything is possible as GQ said one time but Oakland hasnt given up that many points in 9 years.  Gonna go out on a limb and say Oakland not gonna give up 44 points.  Usually total points for both teams in our games is 50-60.   Not 100.   Go Patriots!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ttitan27 said:

I'm sure there are plenty of valid reasons why those kids left private schools to go to Oakland....but that is......not one of them.