Top 6A takes on top DivII-AA when Oakland Host Lipscomb Academy

Blaze45

Oakland by 21.  Has LA played any top tier 6A programs?  Oakland absolutely throttled Siegel last night as they should have.   Siegel isn't very good I know but Oakland played well in all 3 phases and the final score of 49-7 wasn't remotely that close. I was concerned for the Siegel qb early in the game.   Can't be fun having 3-4 guys chasing you that are a lot bigger and faster.  Thought they turned him into a pretzel a few times.   Thank goodness I don't think he was injured.   I'll give that qb credit.   He's got guts and is tough.  He just didn't have protection. 

I know LA has an outstanding qb and he will be hitting lots of quick short throws.   Great for getting the ball into the hands of athletes and letting them do their thing.   LA is a quality team no doubt but I think they're going to find out they bit off more than they can chew.  

Be happy to come back and eat my crow next Friday morning if I need to.   Either way really looking forward to some high quality competition for a change.   

Oakland is in another class of football compared to LA and CPA and anyone would be nuts to think they could be upset by these two teams. HOWEVER, coaching and scheming is huge in high school and LA and CPA has good ones. They will compete and if they have good special team play, and limit turnovers and penalties these could be 10 point spreads. I am a CPA fan, but I like LA's chances against Oakland a little better because of their quick strike ability. 
I predict Oakland by 10 over LA and by 17 over CPA.

I am going to start by saying that with Trent Dilfer in only his 2nd year at David Lipscomb I see Oakland being the better football team this season.  With that being said I have watched tons of high school football (from the west coast to the east coach and all points between) and teams that really know how to throw the football are difficult to beat.  Very few high school defenses will play disciplined pass defense the whole game and they get burned.  When a high school team knows how to throw timing routes, throw underneath the LB to the RB or  when the receivers are picking the DB’s it becomes very frustrating and even more mistakes are made.  Several years ago I watched a very good Montgomery Bell Academy team get taken to the wood shed by a very undersized Byrnes (South Carolina) team.  Byrnes was quick and could throw the ball all over the field.  This one should be fun to watch but I still have Oakland this season.  I see Lipscomb only getting better in the next few years provided Trent Dilfer is not run off by the parents which I see as a distinct possibility. 

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, cbg said:

I am going to start by saying that with Trent Dilfer in only his 2nd year at David Lipscomb I see Oakland being the better football team this season.  With that being said I have watched tons of high school football (from the west coast to the east coach and all points between) and teams that really know how to throw the football are difficult to beat.  Very few high school defenses will play disciplined pass defense the whole game and they get burned.  When a high school team knows how to throw timing routes, throw underneath the LB to the RB or  when the receivers are picking the DB’s it becomes very frustrating and even more mistakes are made.  Several years ago I watched a very good Montgomery Bell Academy team get taken to the wood shed by a very undersized Byrnes (South Carolina) team.  Byrnes was quick and could throw the ball all over the field.  This one should be fun to watch but I still have Oakland this season.  I see Lipscomb only getting better in the next few years provided Trent Dilfer is not run off by the parents which I see as a distinct possibility. 

It doesn’t matter, but it’s Trents 3rd year. 

4 hours ago, ttitan27 said:

Oakland by 21.  Has LA played any top tier 6A programs? 

Who do you consider top tier programs? Oakland and Maryville are in a classification of their own. Neither LA nor CPA have played the equivalent in the past.  But with the exception of Alcoa, I’m not sure either have played the equivalent of Lipscomb… That’s what makes this game interesting for everyone.

Over the years CPA’s non-district schedule has been one of the strongest in the state and this year Lipscomb has joined them. Off the top of my head, CPA has played well against Ravenwood, Brentwood, Independence, Bartlett, Riverdale, Peachtree Ridge and Parkview (GA 7A teams), Smyrna, and probably some I’m missing.  Everyone is saying LA is better than CPA this year… I don’t think the term “6A program” worries either, but again Oakland and Maryville are in a classification of their own. 

Honestly, I think the pressure is on Oakland. They are supposed to win. I really respect the Oakland coach because he’s sorta in a no win situation. If he throttles both teams everyone will say they knew it would happen. If by someone miracle either were to win, well…

I’m glad we have these games this year, it’s good for football in TN no matter the outcome. I think the buzz in middle Tennessee is sorta like an upcoming Maryville / Alcoa game in the east. I hope the actually games are as good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cbg said:

Very good points made.   Thanks for the perspective.   The possibility of Coach Dilfer being run off I agree with.   He's shown he can lose control once.   What he did is unacceptable by today's standards.   I hope for him that he learns and grows and continue to succeed. 

CPA or Lipscomb, possibly both, will win the match up with Oakland. Although both programs conduct themselves in completely different manners, both are incredibly talented and very good football teams. Ingle Martin and staff can put good football players in position to win ball games. Trent is so loaded with talent he can call just about anything and it would work. There are multiple power 5 kids who play on LA squad, and that alone should scare anyone. Great players make great coaches. 

5 minutes ago, BreadTruck28 said:

Who do you consider top tier programs? Oakland and Maryville are in a classification of their own. Neither LA nor CPA have played the equivalent in the past.  But with the exception of Alcoa, I’m not sure either have played the equivalent of Lipscomb… That’s what makes this game interesting for everyone.

Over the years CPA’s non-district schedule has been one of the strongest in the state and this year Lipscomb has joined them. Off the top of my head, CPA has played well against Ravenwood, Brentwood, Independence, Bartlett, Riverdale, Peachtree Ridge and Parkview (GA 7A teams), Smyrna, and probably some I’m missing.  Everyone is saying LA is better than CPA this year… I don’t think the term “6A program” worries either, but again Oakland and Maryville are in a classification of their own. 

Honestly, I think the pressure is on Oakland. They are supposed to win. I really respect the Oakland coach because he’s sorta in a no win situation. If he throttles both teams everyone will say they knew it would happen. If by someone miracle either were to win, well…

I’m glad we have these games this year, it’s good for football in TN no matter the outcome. I think the buzz in middle Tennessee is sorta like an upcoming Maryville / Alcoa game in the east. I hope the actually games are as good. 

I think you're spot on.   I  guess they have played the best they could with the exception of Oakland,   Maryville  and maybe Whitehaven.    Yes,  Oakland has everything to lose and nothing to gain.   Makes for interesting football for Thursday night.