So the ship lost it's captain????

CougarDadx2

5 hours ago, TheTruthPrevails said:

That's what was said but the former coach signed a two year contract and when Jones came he decided not to play it, for whatever excuse.  If I remember it correctly, most of these same posters that are saying put it back agreed with the coach when he decided to cancel it.  I'm fine either way.  Not going to bring the c word up but that rivalry has held the county back for a long time anyway.  

If memory serves correct I believe you are right. Funny how quick people's mind can change. @PP68 Glad to hear that MC is willing to play the wait and see game. The adults have ruined the rivalry and I hate it for the kids, that's all I've got to say about that. As for SP's current situation, it's a tough pill to swallow. SP faithful say they were expecting him to leave but not this soon. Not sure there is much truth to that. If it were to be in fact TRUE, then why would the powers that be even consider hiring him if there was even a hint that he would move on in 3 to 5 years? Also, if Vic was leaning towards a certain candidate, an outsider looking in would be under the impression that his opinion would carry a lot of weight towards hiring the next coach. Maybe there was some feathers ruffled on the way out the door. It's still early but I think this next coaching hire is crucial for the next 8 years for SP. 

As for Wes and Heath taking overfhink SP should be thanking their lucky stars. Family names that are synonymous with Pirate athletics and only want the best for the school. Just my personal opinion but I think Wes should have got the job the first time Vic stepped down due to the fact that Heath has no desire to be the head guy (I don't blame him, it's a lose/lose situation). Maybe Wes feels the same way but I always thought his short stint at BB had something to do with that. With that being said, they will both get their spot in the limelight and have a good chance to navigate a talented team to another shot at the gold. 

We live in a different time now where loyalty is a rare trait to find. If the right hire isn't put into place, things could go downhill very quick and the talent will start going elsewhere to a stable competitive program. Nothing lasts forever and all good things come to an end eventually. I've posted this a couple of times but I don't think you guys fully appreciated Vic like you should have. He may not have always been able to win the big one, but he provided stability and consistency.

To the SP players, you've got a lot of talent and a chip on your shoulder from last year. There is a very good chance that the team that sent you home with the silver last year will be waiting for you again. You are in the foxhole now and the bullets are flying. Look to your left and to your right, those guys are all you have and they are all you NEED. Band together and show CJ that he missed his opportunity to be a part of special season. 

Don't say this often but good luck from a Warrior up the road. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, oldfaithful said:

If memory serves correct I believe you are right. Funny how quick people's mind can change. @PP68 Glad to hear that MC is willing to play the wait and see game. The adults have ruined the rivalry and I hate it for the kids, that's all I've got to say about that. As for SP's current situation, it's a tough pill to swallow. SP faithful say they were expecting him to leave but not this soon. Not sure there is much truth to that. If it were to be in fact TRUE, then why would the powers that be even consider hiring him if there was even a hint that he would move on in 3 to 5 years? Also, if Vic was leaning towards a certain candidate, an outsider looking in would be under the impression that his opinion would carry a lot of weight towards hiring the next coach. Maybe there was some feathers ruffled on the way out the door. It's still early but I think this next coaching hire is crucial for the next 8 years for SP. 

As for Wes and Heath taking overfhink SP should be thanking their lucky stars. Family names that are synonymous with Pirate athletics and only want the best for the school. Just my personal opinion but I think Wes should have got the job the first time Vic stepped down due to the fact that Heath has no desire to be the head guy (I don't blame him, it's a lose/lose situation). Maybe Wes feels the same way but I always thought his short stint at BB had something to do with that. With that being said, they will both get their spot in the limelight and have a good chance to navigate a talented team to another shot at the gold. 

We live in a different time now where loyalty is a rare trait to find. If the right hire isn't put into place, things could go downhill very quick and the talent will start going elsewhere to a stable competitive program. Nothing lasts forever and all good things come to an end eventually. I've posted this a couple of times but I don't think you guys fully appreciated Vic like you should have. He may not have always been able to win the big one, but he provided stability and consistency.

To the SP players, you've got a lot of talent and a chip on your shoulder from last year. There is a very good chance that the team that sent you home with the silver last year will be waiting for you again. You are in the foxhole now and the bullets are flying. Look to your left and to your right, those guys are all you have and they are all you NEED. Band together and show CJ that he missed his opportunity to be a part of special season. 

Don't say this often but good luck from a Warrior up the road. 

Pirates will be just fine. I said this before Chris was hired that we didn't need this. No one is disputing Chris is a good coach and he's proven this everywhere he's been but if you really really know Chris Jones you know he's in it for Chris Jones and no one else. As always great day to be a real Pirate. All about the team, School and community not about yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, MrLegit said:

Pirates will be just fine. I said this before Chris was hired that we didn't need this. No one is disputing Chris is a good coach and he's proven this everywhere he's been but if you really really know Chris Jones you know he's in it for Chris Jones and no one else. As always great day to be a real Pirate. All about the team, School and community not about yourself.

Is this going to change the offense and defense again 

46 minutes ago, Tide21 said:

Is this going to change the offense and defense again 

I was told no but would add a few other elements in as well ( maybe their own style).  Sp shouldn't miss a beat under stone and Heath.   I'm sure with the short notice and minimal time to prepare Friday will be somewhat hectic at times but overall Sp should be just fine.  Wes has Coached with some great coaches throughout his career Vic,Grant Reynolds, Jones ( even though short lol ) , Shawn Peek, Allan Pratt, Dave Baxter just to name a few. I'm excited for him to get a shot and to see what he can do. He been one of the most loyal coaches to come through Sp. 

4 minutes ago, oneyewilly said:

I was told no but would add a few other elements in as well ( maybe their own style).  Sp shouldn't miss a beat under stone and Heath.   I'm sure with the short notice and minimal time to prepare Friday will be somewhat hectic at times but overall Sp should be just fine.  Wes has Coached with some great coaches throughout his career Vic,Grant Reynolds, Jones ( even though short lol ) , Shawn Peek, Allan Pratt, Dave Baxter just to name a few. I'm excited for him to get a shot and to see what he can do. He been one of the most loyal coaches to come through Sp. 

Loyalty is a good trait. 

Legit is correct - Chris has always been for Chris. But this was a step too far. Like most have said, this is tougher on the kids than anyone. They will rebound Friday with a good win over Whitwell. Chris will be kicked to the dustbin of SP football, and it is deserved.

OP has always been quick to throw the SOS label on coaches without reason (beside the fact that he feels he is judge and jury), guess that SO is pretty bitter at the moment.

Pirates survive, and will thrive, because that's what they do.

• Upvote 1

Pretty sad that some of you called Chris your Friend!  Most have NO clue what you are talking about so I'll fill you in a little! First off! Chris has had political idiots in this Town be against him from day 1! The Team is broke! Who knows where the Money went!! Chris has been spending a lot of his own Money trying to get things in order! He is at the Field house by 4 am 6 days a week and doesn't leave until 9-10 pm!  Our weight room floods our visitors locker Room floods. Our Pads are over 20 years Old and some of our Pants didn't even have enough pads to use them!! I could go on and on about the facility's but right now they are in better shape except roofs than they have ever been because of Chris!  He had these Kids in better shape than they have ever been and everyone plays!  Certain people have showed up and let Chris know he would only ever be the Coach . Chris had to set a few people straight! Now Covid hit and who knows if we can finish.  You guys gripe because we beat up on weaker Teams and you all keep saying we need to Schedule tougher Teams so we will be ready for the Playoffs! So Chris does just that and you still gripe!! You do realize how many Games Fayetteville lost last year and still won it all! If you think Chris left without a care you are very ignorant!!  You can't blame Chris for wanting the very best for the Pirates only to pretty much ran off!! I want any one of you to tell me just 1 Coach that if offered a Job with a hundreds of thousands of dollar contract offer wouldn't take it!! He only had a few Day window to accept more money than Most  Teachers will only see after 20 years of Teaching! Or turn it down and clearly stay were many didn't want him!!  You see the problem that Chris only thought about himself! I see it as you're only thinking of Yourself!! Every single one of you would accept a huge money deal if it was offered. But I'll tell you this! If Chris was left alone and let Coach and have the Money that everyone thinks Spitt has. He would have never left!  Who would have ever thought these Kids are playing with 10+ year old inferior Pads!! And no money to do a darn thing about it! Seems nobody can tell anyone where the Money went!. I say Congratulations Chris!! You are the Coach that thousands of Coach's want to be!! Over look all these armchair Coach's. I'm pretty ashamed of some of you! Hope your Church doesn't get hit by Lightning Sunday! You have Judged Chris and 99% of you have no clue what has went on! Most of you support Ty Robinson ! So go look at His Facebook post as he spoke his mind! Shame on you that called Chris your Friend!

Edited by Geno
  • Sad 1

Here is Ty Robinsons Post

“Godly” people of South Pittsburg... I am only writing this as for 1. it needs to be said and because there are so many that play these roles so well on Facebook but I have nasty txt that say other wise. REGARDLESS of what you think of the recent coaching decision.... I’m just going to put some straight FACTS: 1. Because “it’s about the kids”.... I have watched some young men learn about the highest qualities of respect and discipline more than I ever have in just a short period of time at South Pittsburg High School. 2. The facilities have never been in better condition or taking better care of. And if anyone wants to argue that we have pictures of what it looked like before vs now. 3. The players have learned more football this year than their entire football careers. 4. The players have ALL attended school thus far on a regular basis (with the occasion of sickness) and taking care of their studies. 5. Not one player was ever promised anything about playing time.... EVERY player was granted the same opportunity to play. 6. Every player was held to the same quality standard. 7. No one can ever say they saw a coaching staff at those facilities more than anyone has been there this season. I can continue on if anyone ever wants to sit down 1-on-1. And you may say “ah that ain’t really nothing”... well not ONLY are those the qualities and standards for winning a gold ball, these are the same qualities and standards to win at life if anyone has forgotten. Again I am only writing this because everyone continues to holler “it’s about the kids it’s about the kids” (because you think someone else is at fault”) well we still have a weight room that (not only does the roof leak like the Nile River) but is about to collapse from all the water damage. Our “kids” are wearing equipment that was issued in 2000 with the exception of a few helmets, that the kids BUY themselves. So for the people who holler about how much money they have raised or about how much time they have volunteered or how much “they care about this program” and doesn’t think Coach Jones doesn’t do the same and much more is complete foolishness. About like how most of you holler you go to church on Sunday’s and turn around and send the text that you have. And I know the players watch what I say and post so go ahead and lie in the comments so I can prove other wise. I’m out!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Geno said:

Pretty sad that some of you called Chris your Friend!  Most have NO clue what you are talking about so I'll fill you in a little! First off! Chris has had political idiots in this Town be against him from day 1! The Team is broke! Who knows where the Money went!! Chris has been spending a lot of his own Money trying to get things in order! He is at the Field house by 4 am 6 days a week and doesn't leave until 9-10 pm!  Our weight room floods our visitors locker Room floods. Our Pads are over 10 years Old and some of our Pants didn't even have enough pads to use them!! I could go on and on about the facility's but right now they are in better shape except roofs than they have ever been because of Chris!  He had these Kids in better shape than they have ever been and everyone plays!  Certain people have showed up and let Chris know he would only ever be the Coach . Chris had to set a few people straight! Now Covid hit and who knows if we can finish.  You guys gripe because we beat up on weaker Teams and you all keep saying we need to Schedule tougher Teams so we will be ready for the Playoffs! So Chris does just that and you still gripe!! You do realize how many Games Fayetteville lost last year and still won it all! If you think Chris left without a care you are very ignorant!!  You can't blame Chris for wanting the very best for the Pirates only to pretty much ran off!! I want any one of you to tell me just 1 Coach that if offered a Job with a hundreds of thousands of dollar contract offer wouldn't take it!! He only had a few Day window to accept more money than Most  Teachers will only see after 20 years of Teaching! Or turn it down and clearly stay were many didn't want him!!  You see the problem that Chris only thought about himself! I see it as you're only thinking of Yourself!! Every single one of you would accept a huge money deal if it was offered. But I'll tell you this! If Chris was left alone and let Coach and have the Money that everyone thinks Spitt has. He would have never left!  Who would have ever thought these Kids are playing with 10+ year old inferior Pads!! And no money to do a darn thing about it! Seems nobody can tell anyone where the Money went!. I say Congratulations Chris!! You are the Coach that thousands of Coach's want to be!! Over look all these armchair Coach's. I'm pretty ashamed of some of you! Hope your Church doesn't get hit by Lightning Sunday! You have Judged Chris and 99% of you have no clue what has went on! Most of you support Ty Robinson ! So go look at His Facebook post as he spoke his mind! Shame on you that called Chris your Friend!

Geno  Chris is an excellent football coach and yes was at the field house every morning at 4am and would sometimes be there until 10pm just about 7 days a week. He put in a lot to the program and wanted big things for Sp football.  I think his expectations vs reality were different. This is a high school program with a slim budget to work with especially given past circumstances. All those repairs would have happened. Would it have been a year or so.....maybe but they would have gotten fixed. I mean no one said it was going to be easy. There are programs all across this state playing with much less than what we have I promise you. Honestly and just my opinion I do feel that part of him wanted to be here and the other part he was still trying to convince. I honestly can't blame anyone for taking that kind of money but he knew that an offer of that magnitude was possible before committing to those players.  All the other things are just an excuse to justify the decision he made. If he 100% wanted to be the Coach at SPHS than he would still be their. Again expectations vs reality were far apart in my opinion.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TheTruthPrevails said:

That's what was said but the former coach signed a two year contract and when Jones came he decided not to play it, for whatever excuse.  If I remember it correctly, most of these same posters that are saying put it back agreed with the coach when he decided to cancel it.  I'm fine either way.  Not going to bring the c word up but that rivalry has held the county back for a long time anyway.  

I’d have to agree with you.  I am seeing this too.  

1 hour ago, Geno said:

Pretty sad that some of you called Chris your Friend!  Most have NO clue what you are talking about so I'll fill you in a little! First off! Chris has had political idiots in this Town be against him from day 1! The Team is broke! Who knows where the Money went!! Chris has been spending a lot of his own Money trying to get things in order! He is at the Field house by 4 am 6 days a week and doesn't leave until 9-10 pm!  Our weight room floods our visitors locker Room floods. Our Pads are over 20 years Old and some of our Pants didn't even have enough pads to use them!! I could go on and on about the facility's but right now they are in better shape except roofs than they have ever been because of Chris!  He had these Kids in better shape than they have ever been and everyone plays!  Certain people have showed up and let Chris know he would only ever be the Coach . Chris had to set a few people straight! Now Covid hit and who knows if we can finish.  You guys gripe because we beat up on weaker Teams and you all keep saying we need to Schedule tougher Teams so we will be ready for the Playoffs! So Chris does just that and you still gripe!! You do realize how many Games Fayetteville lost last year and still won it all! If you think Chris left without a care you are very ignorant!!  You can't blame Chris for wanting the very best for the Pirates only to pretty much ran off!! I want any one of you to tell me just 1 Coach that if offered a Job with a hundreds of thousands of dollar contract offer wouldn't take it!! He only had a few Day window to accept more money than Most  Teachers will only see after 20 years of Teaching! Or turn it down and clearly stay were many didn't want him!!  You see the problem that Chris only thought about himself! I see it as you're only thinking of Yourself!! Every single one of you would accept a huge money deal if it was offered. But I'll tell you this! If Chris was left alone and let Coach and have the Money that everyone thinks Spitt has. He would have never left!  Who would have ever thought these Kids are playing with 10+ year old inferior Pads!! And no money to do a darn thing about it! Seems nobody can tell anyone where the Money went!. I say Congratulations Chris!! You are the Coach that thousands of Coach's want to be!! Over look all these armchair Coach's. I'm pretty ashamed of some of you! Hope your Church doesn't get hit by Lightning Sunday! You have Judged Chris and 99% of you have no clue what has went on! Most of you support Ty Robinson ! So go look at His Facebook post as he spoke his mind! Shame on you that called Chris your Friend!

While I understand everything you are saying, at the end of the day he still left mid season because of adversity that HE was facing.  Just suck it up and cut back on spending.  Now as far as everything that happened behind the scenes, that is very sad, but listen, we already had our pride and name tarnished some by never winning the big games, and the probation, so let’s not provide fuel to the fire for the whole state to see that our program behind the scenes is not doing well.  People don’t need to know all that.  I’m not saying I don’t agree with you, I’m just saying there’s no need to shame a program to save a coach’s face that just quit our boys, our school, and our community.  It can be spinner however we want, but at the end of the day he is gone.  

Now, IMO we may have just come out on the better end.  I know it’s not a Pro Coach, but it is two VERY knowledgeable high school coaches who love those kids, the program, the community, and winning just as much as anyone.  Their dedication is the same.  Wes Stone would be there at the field house all day too if he didn’t have a young family at home and a full time job.  But trust me, at the end of the day I know for a fact that Stone was one of the last to leave, if not THE last to leave.  

Just as I was told:

We will adjust, adapt, and move on!  That’s what we do here!  Go Pirates!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1