Enrollment Numbers

11 minutes ago, rlh said:

AL Gore Sr was one of the 12 Dem Senators along with William Fulbright and the late Bob Byrd that filibustered the 1964 Civil Rights Act so that whole comment is moot.

The point is that the leaf does not fall far from the tree!  John “King John” Copper has not done anything to help the minorities in MNPS. Just another reason that Davidson County needs to elect another mayor

On 7/1/2022 at 9:47 AM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Having been in education for roughly 20 years as a teacher and admin I would say that no one can “fix” issues for students and parents. They have to fix them for themselves. When you have less than 5% of parents show up for PT conferences and those are the parents of students that are excelling it is clear that the support is not there at home. I have worked in large urban districts and small rural districts. The students that are succeeding have parents at home doing their job and supporting the child and teacher. The ones that are failing (not all but the vast majority) do not have the in home support it takes to be successful. 

100%!!!

Too many people are having children with the intentions of financial gains, and not raising well rounded humans that are productive in society. Teaching some of these kids is absolutely impossible. I am not even going to pretend to be smart enough to have the answer to this problem, but the lack of fathers in homes is where I think we should start. Encouraging young people to marry, have children, and raise them together. Seems simple, but I think it would make a huge impact on everything from crime, to education, literacy, and many more. Just sharing my thoughts. 

Edited by ManOfMillions
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Most teachers that I know are amazing, but have the students under their care for seven hours a day. Public schools discipline them, feed them, teach them, and love them...then send them home to whatever atmosphere is there. There may (or may not) be problems that could be "fixed" with the MNPS system in order to do a better job, but these same kids would go to the same place and be under the same care if they were enrolled in a private school. When parents return to the values of my youth, provide for, care for, and take an interest in their own children, the public school system will be fixed, and nothing the board or the Director of Schools do will affect student's behavior or achievement nearly as much. Not necessarily pointing fingers, but when people stop saying "someone needs to do something", and start trying to help in whatever way that they can, the world might be a little bit better for it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/30/2022 at 5:00 PM, theawesomebro said:

do you think maybe it is more the suburban schools have the advantage?  not a lot of davidson co public schools crushing it as of late.   3 best public school teams that lipscomb faced last year and this year are all suburbs (oakland; milton, GA; thompson, AL).  seems they have the talent and the money.  thompson's facilities look better than most private schools!

FWIW, I grew up in franklin co so I get the rural schools have a disadvantage in any case.

Suburban schools seem to be able to find that sweet spot for sustainable success more often. They usually have the big 3 being fan support, money, and a good talent pool to draw from.

On 7/1/2022 at 9:16 AM, cbg said:

Not for myself or my family but I would like to know how the residents of Davidson County should proceed with insuring that their children receive a good public school education.  Again, let’s not forget that John “KING JOHN” Cooper (the son of Prentice Cooper who ran as a Segregationist in the 1958 US Senate election and lost to Albert Gore, Sr.) has no track record of helping minorities gain a quality education, the metro council that has stood by and watched for decades as public education in MNPS has deteriorated, a school board that is a complete travesty and always wants to fix problems with money.  The only good thing about MNPS is Adrienne Battle who is doing her best against all odds.  Public school educators and administrators want to complain about charter schools siphoning away students from traditional public schools but what about MLK Magnet and Hume Fogg Magnet schools, are they not siphoning away many of the best and brightest students?  The easy part is complaining about MNPS but the difficulty is in truly fixing the issues for the children and their families.

First off, people are not their parents and secondly, this allegation that he's nothing to help minorities is hilariously false. MNPS has been an eyesore for a long time, so if your gonna hold Cooper accountable then do the same for Bredeson, Purcell, Dean, every other mayor that's come through here. The man is trying to run a whole city (of which, he's been mayor for 2.5 years), there's a school board for a reason

Edited by MidTennFootball

23 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

First off, people are not their parents and secondly, this allegation that he's nothing to help minorities is hilariously false. MNPS has been an eyesore for a long time, so if your gonna hold Cooper accountable then do the same for Bredeson, Purcell, Dean, every other mayor that's come through here. The man is trying to run a whole city (of which, he's been mayor for 2.5 years), there's a school board for a reason

When you sit in the top position for Davidson County you must be ready to take the criticism. 

On 7/2/2022 at 3:11 PM, MidTennFootball said:

i'm with you on this one.  I think nashville has done better than most with public schools.  all 4 of mine went to public school for a while in davidson county.

On 6/30/2022 at 5:12 PM, Red Rebels said:

The Z-Plan won't have Sullivan South to kick around any more! 

The TSSAA left a team out of the playoffs. Let that sink in. They messed up, and then sent a good team all the way to Columbia, which really was no favor to Columbia. The Z-Plan was a mess that showed how inept the TSSAA can be.

I remember when this happened. 

I believe after that incident the Association added a new clause to the Zplan.  "If there's a mistake a school must catch it by noon the following day or too bad."

^ paraphrase of course.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2022 at 7:49 PM, tradertwo said:

Most teachers that I know are amazing, but have the students under their care for seven hours a day. Public schools discipline them, feed them, teach them, and love them...then send them home to whatever atmosphere is there. There may (or may not) be problems that could be "fixed" with the MNPS system in order to do a better job, but these same kids would go to the same place and be under the same care if they were enrolled in a private school. When parents return to the values of my youth, provide for, care for, and take an interest in their own children, the public school system will be fixed, and nothing the board or the Director of Schools do will affect student's behavior or achievement nearly as much. Not necessarily pointing fingers, but when people stop saying "someone needs to do something", and start trying to help in whatever way that they can, the world might be a little bit better for it.

You nailed it!!

• 2 weeks later...