Top 10 Head Coaches Power Rankings

cowcatcherII

I love pulling ideas from off-season college football and basketball articles. If you remember, I published a top 20 programs in the state a few months ago. The board has seemed quiet recently, so I thought this would be fun and give us something to debate. What did I miss on my list? What did I get right? Rank your top 10! 

I am particularly interested to hear @cbg @oceansize42 @TotallynotLEO @cobrakid8 @noonesfool

Top 10 Head Coaches in the State

1. Pat Simpson (Father Ryan)—In Coach Simpson 45 years as the head coach at Father Ryan High School, his teams have won an astounding 22 state titles making him undeniable the GOAT. His tenure mirrors a Mike Kryzyzewski comparison at Duke as he has proven to have an ability to adapt over time winning multiple titles across 4.5 decades. Just when one might have thought his best days were behind him after having not won a title since 2017, his Purple Irish upset national power Baylor to claim the 2023 State Duals Championship this season, which led to him being a awarded his second National Prep Coach of the Year honor (2016, 2023).

2. Joey Knox (Cleveland)—It is hard to image a coach winning both a state dual and traditional title every single year on the job being #2 on the list, but Coach Knox is well on his way to assuming the #1 slot having won a perfect 12 titles in six seasons at Cleveland. When you look at the debate between #1 and #2 on this list, I compare it to trying to decide between Nick Saban and Kirby Smart. Knox has done a great job steering the ship and capitalizing on the built-in advantages Cleveland has to offer with a kids club and booster support that is second to none. Knox also holds a 1-0 record over the #4 coach on this list after his Blue Raiders upset the nationally ranked Red Raiders at the Lake Norman Duals in 2022. You will be hard pressed to find a more knowledgeable teacher of the sport than Knox, a former NCAA qualifier and SoCon Champ during his days on the mat for the Mocs.

3. Greg Foreman (Pigeon Forge)—Foreman, an Oklahoma native who wrestled collegiately at Carson-Newman has solidified a spot on the Mount Rushmore of TN Wrestling Coaches. You know Foreman is one of the best to ever do it when his last state title was in 2021 and that feels like a long time. Coach Foreman has claimed 11 state titles at the helm for the Tigers (6 traditional, 5 duals) and finished second 4 times. Prior to this year, his teams had qualified for the state duals 11 consecutive years including 12 of the past 14 seasons. Since the A/AA split for the traditional tournament in 2014, Foreman’s Tigers have won the traditional title 6 of 10 times and only finished outside the top 3 once (6th in 2018).

4. Rex Kendle (Baylor)—Since taking over the program in 2021, Coach Kendle has led Baylor to 5 state titles in 6 tries over the past three years only missing out on the state duals this season. Baylor’s dominance since 2000 under legendary Jim Morgan and Ben Nelson has been remarkable, but Kendle has somehow managed to even elevate the program even further. In 2022, Baylor received recognition as a top 25 team nationally early on before Joey Knox’s Cleveland team upset Kendle’s Red Raiders at a dual tournament in NC. The former Michigan State grappler has revolutionized Baylor’s program making it a top destination for out of state wrestlers across the country. Some may not agree with his approach, but his vision has undoubtedly proven successful as his program regularly produces multiple D1 prospects every year.

5. Houston Clements (Signal Mountain)—Oddly enough, Clements was once a standout wrestler under Kendle at Baylor and now he finds himself just a slot behind his former assistant coach. Coach Clements rounds out my top 5 for his ability to do more with less. During a short one-year run at Whitwell, he led his team to an 11th place finish in the 2021 state tournament. He would then take over a Signal Mountain team that only returned 4 starters and navigated one of the biggest upsets in recent memory over a star-studded Greeneville team to capture the 2022 state duals championship. The former Tar Heel wrestler’s teams have finished no worse than second during his time at SM, but he is down to only two Uhorchucks now, and it will be interesting to see how the rivalry plays out between he and the #9 coach’s up and coming team over the next 5-10 years. 

6. John Kramer (Wilson Central)

7. Pete Miller (Summit)

8. Shannon Sayne (Halls)

9. Ulric Winesburgh (Soddy-Daisy)

10. Randy Shelton (Greeneville)

Honorable Mention (in no particular order): Chris Lewis (MUS), Damon Smith (Brentwood), Wes Idlette (Dobyns-Bennett), Tim Pittman (Gibbs), Mike Sutherland (Boyd Buchanan), Patrick Simpson (MBA)

Side note: Does anyone know if Cleveland and Baylor will wrestle a dual this year or why they didn't last year? Seems like a given that those two would want to wrestle each other every year?

Edited by cowcatcherII
  • Upvote 1

Really nice thread and idea for discussion.  

I'm mostly familiar with the eastern half of the state.  I think DB is building something special up there.  Wes may move up the list over the next couple years.  

Alex Cate at Maryville has done a nice job and they are consistently producing good wrestling at a football heavy school. 

I might have Sayne and Pittman higher since they've won titles. We'll see how Gibbs competes without having Halls to contend with. One of Shannon's former kids got AA status this year at UC (NAIA). We'll also see if Shannon can get his team to state in big school classification. I think he gets there,  winning is another story.  

Ulrich is going to move up this list based on results for the foreseeable future. SD is in good shape,  for a long run.  

There's some coaches and programs that could break into that level but they're not there yet.  Not a lot to disagree with in your post though.  Good job.  

Edited by TotallynotLEO

8 hours ago, TotallynotLEO said:

Really nice thread and idea for discussion.  

I'm mostly familiar with the eastern half of the state.  I think DB is building something special up there.  Wes may move up the list over the next couple years.  

Alex Cate at Maryville has done a nice job and they are consistently producing good wrestling at a football heavy school. 

I might have Sayne and Pittman higher since they've won titles. We'll see how Gibbs competes without having Halls to contend with. One of Shannon's former kids got AA status this year at UC (NAIA). We'll also see if Shannon can get his team to state in big school classification. I think he gets there,  winning is another story.  

Ulrich is going to move up this list based on results for the foreseeable future. SD is in good shape,  for a long run.  

There's some coaches and programs that could break into that level but they're not there yet.  Not a lot to disagree with in your post though.  Good job.  

I agree with all points here. Thanks for the post @TotallynotLEO

Cate has done a great job at Maryville. That will always be a hard job with football being such a focus there, but he's proven to be successful. 

I'm interested to see Halls in the big school next year. I think they will surprise a lot. Coach Sayne has some studs coming back highlighted by Harlen Hunley who I expect to pick up right where he left off last season despite the jump in competition. I also agree that Gibbs should take advantage of not having Halls next year. I can definitely see the argument for Sayne and Pittman to be a little higher.

If we did this list 5 years from now, Winesburgh would likely be a top 3 guy. No one has a program trending in a steeper upward trajectory right now.

20 hours ago, cowcatcherII said:

I love pulling ideas from off-season college football and basketball articles. If you remember, I published a top 20 programs in the state a few months ago. The board has seemed quiet recently, so I thought this would be fun and give us something to debate. What did I miss on my list? What did I get right? Rank your top 10! 

I am particularly interested to hear @cbg @oceansize42 @TotallynotLEO @cobrakid8 @noonesfool

Top 10 Head Coaches in the State

1. Pat Simpson (Father Ryan)—In Coach Simpson 45 years as the head coach at Father Ryan High School, his teams have won an astounding 22 state titles making him undeniable the GOAT. His tenure mirrors a Mike Kryzyzewski comparison at Duke as he has proven to have an ability to adapt over time winning multiple titles across 4.5 decades. Just when one might have thought his best days were behind him after having not won a title since 2017, his Purple Irish upset national power Baylor to claim the 2023 State Duals Championship this season, which led to him being a awarded his second National Prep Coach of the Year honor (2016, 2023).

2. Joey Knox (Cleveland)—It is hard to image a coach winning both a state dual and traditional title every single year on the job being #2 on the list, but Coach Knox is well on his way to assuming the #1 slot having won a perfect 12 titles in six seasons at Cleveland. When you look at the debate between #1 and #2 on this list, I compare it to trying to decide between Nick Saban and Kirby Smart. Knox has done a great job steering the ship and capitalizing on the built-in advantages Cleveland has to offer with a kids club and booster support that is second to none. Knox also holds a 1-0 record over the #4 coach on this list after his Blue Raiders upset the nationally ranked Red Raiders at the Lake Norman Duals in 2022. You will be hard pressed to find a more knowledgeable teacher of the sport than Knox, a former NCAA qualifier and SoCon Champ during his days on the mat for the Mocs.

3. Greg Foreman (Pigeon Forge)—Foreman, an Oklahoma native who wrestled collegiately at Carson-Newman has solidified a spot on the Mount Rushmore of TN Wrestling Coaches. You know Foreman is one of the best to ever do it when his last state title was in 2021 and that feels like a long time. Coach Foreman has claimed 11 state titles at the helm for the Tigers (6 traditional, 5 duals) and finished second 4 times. Prior to this year, his teams had qualified for the state duals 11 consecutive years including 12 of the past 14 seasons. Since the A/AA split for the traditional tournament in 2014, Foreman’s Tigers have won the traditional title 6 of 10 times and only finished outside the top 3 once (6th in 2018).

4. Rex Kendle (Baylor)—Since taking over the program in 2021, Coach Kendle has led Baylor to 5 state titles in 6 tries over the past three years only missing out on the state duals this season. Baylor’s dominance since 2000 under legendary Jim Morgan and Ben Nelson has been remarkable, but Kendle has somehow managed to even elevate the program even further. In 2022, Baylor received recognition as a top 25 team nationally early on before Joey Knox’s Cleveland team upset Kendle’s Red Raiders at a dual tournament in NC. The former Michigan State grappler has revolutionized Baylor’s program making it a top destination for out of state wrestlers across the country. Some may not agree with his approach, but his vision has undoubtedly proven successful as his program regularly produces multiple D1 prospects every year.

5. Houston Clements (Signal Mountain)—Oddly enough, Clements was once a standout wrestler under Kendle at Baylor and now he finds himself just a slot behind his former assistant coach. Coach Clements rounds out my top 5 for his ability to do more with less. During a short one-year run at Whitwell, he led his team to an 11th place finish in the 2021 state tournament. He would then take over a Signal Mountain team that only returned 4 starters and navigated one of the biggest upsets in recent memory over a star-studded Greeneville team to capture the 2022 state duals championship. The former Tar Heel wrestler’s teams have finished no worse than second during his time at SM, but he is down to only two Uhorchucks now, and it will be interesting to see how the rivalry plays out between he and the #9 coach’s up and coming team over the next 5-10 years. 

6. John Kramer (Wilson Central)

7. Pete Miller (Summit)

8. Shannon Sayne (Halls)

9. Ulric Winesburgh (Soddy-Daisy)

10. Randy Shelton (Greeneville)

Honorable Mention (in no particular order): Chris Lewis (MUS), Damon Smith (Brentwood), Wes Idlette (Dobyns-Bennett), Tim Pittman (Gibbs), Mike Sutherland (Boyd Buchanan), Patrick Simpson (MBA)

Side note: Does anyone know if Cleveland and Baylor will wrestle a dual this year or why they didn't last year? Seems like a given that those two would want to wrestle each other every year?

I think I agree with the above listing, always been one of the biggest fans of Pat Simpson and he is an absolute legend. After that it can be a quick throw up of a bunch of different guys, especially since we are almost comparing apples to oranges with it all. Will be telling next year to see how competitive Halls is in large school division after winning small school this year. They lost some but they still return a very good team so will be interested to get an idea of the top of the pile from small to large school.

I prob would move Kendle back some because I am not trying to be mean here but with the resources Baylor puts to their program and the amount of assistants and such they have for that program, I believe any of the guys below him and even honorable mentions guys could do just as good a job there as he has. I have nothing against him but besides Cleveland there isnt another school in the state that has the resources(not saying its not hard work they also have because it is) but those like Idlette at DB have done a good job at programs not all that known for wrestling. Same for me for Kramer, he took that program from nothing and built it into a perenial top team, so he has impressed me also. So I would prob go.

Pat Simpson

Greg Foreman

John Kramer

Joey Knox

Houston Clements

Shannon Sayne

Wes Idlette

Pete Miller

Rex Kendle

Mike Sutherland

Also a fun fact, Houston Clements started his career at McCallie, was a third generation wrestler at McCallie before transferring over to Baylor.

4 hours ago, cowcatcherII said:

I agree with all points here. Thanks for the post @TotallynotLEO

Cate has done a great job at Maryville. That will always be a hard job with football being such a focus there, but he's proven to be successful. 

I'm interested to see Halls in the big school next year. I think they will surprise a lot. Coach Sayne has some studs coming back highlighted by Harlen Hunley who I expect to pick up right where he left off last season despite the jump in competition. I also agree that Gibbs should take advantage of not having Halls next year. I can definitely see the argument for Sayne and Pittman to be a little higher.

If we did this list 5 years from now, Winesburgh would likely be a top 3 guy. No one has a program trending in a steeper upward trajectory right now.

I wholeheartedly agree on Sayne & Pittman being great leaders & both of them would be in my 2nd tier of top coaches in the state. I don't understand the admiration for Idlette or Cates & at best would have them in my 4th tier of top coaches in the state. Both of them benefitted immensely from having accomplished kids developed through their youth programs & outside of Moisey coaching a few of the NE TN kids that could go to Kingsport I don't see either school restocking their team with similar talent.

3 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

I think I agree with the above listing, always been one of the biggest fans of Pat Simpson and he is an absolute legend. After that it can be a quick throw up of a bunch of different guys, especially since we are almost comparing apples to oranges with it all. Will be telling next year to see how competitive Halls is in large school division after winning small school this year. They lost some but they still return a very good team so will be interested to get an idea of the top of the pile from small to large school.

I prob would move Kendle back some because I am not trying to be mean here but with the resources Baylor puts to their program and the amount of assistants and such they have for that program, I believe any of the guys below him and even honorable mentions guys could do just as good a job there as he has. I have nothing against him but besides Cleveland there isnt another school in the state that has the resources(not saying its not hard work they also have because it is) but those like Idlette at DB have done a good job at programs not all that known for wrestling. Same for me for Kramer, he took that program from nothing and built it into a perenial top team, so he has impressed me also. So I would prob go.

Pat Simpson

Greg Foreman

John Kramer

Joey Knox

Houston Clements

Shannon Sayne

Wes Idlette

Pete Miller

Rex Kendle

Mike Sutherland

Also a fun fact, Houston Clements started his career at McCallie, was a third generation wrestler at McCallie before transferring over to Baylor.

Foreman and Kramer are both quality coaches, but I don't believe they have ever beat Knox.

That statement is ridiculous. What Knox has done behind the scenes leading up to his head coach beginning is a major reason he’s been winning.

If anyone has “built” a program….. it’s Knox and Cleveland. He’s not only at HS practice, but he’s at club practice, beginner practice, and traveling to tournaments with the kids club.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GruncleD said:

Foreman and Kramer are both quality coaches, but I don't believe they have ever beat Knox.

Knox is a good coach, but you could take about 30 coaches in TN right now that could step into that situation and be very very successful. They have one of the top kids programs not just in the state but in the SE as a whole and yes Knox has a lot to do with that, but so does about 50 other things like Bosken, Jones and his support. Just as I said with Baylor fits here also, when you have the time, the money and the dedication that program has it leads to what it has led to. I mean you do know how many state titles they won before Knox got there? I mean the coach sitting at McCallie who everyone says is doing nothing with that program won a state or 2 title at Cleveland. Kramer would have that place doing the same thing just like many other coaches across the state could. He's done a great job with the program, I will say that.

2 minutes ago, JBoskenUSAW said:

That statement is ridiculous. What Knox has done behind the scenes leading up to his head coach beginning is a major reason he’s been winning.

If anyone has “built” a program….. it’s Knox and Cleveland. He’s not only at HS practice, but he’s at club practice, beginner practice, and traveling to tournaments with the kids club.

Sorry Josh, any coach could and has done that at Cleveland. Again, how many state titles were won before Knox became head coach? How many different coaches won those state titles?

I'm a big fan of yours have been since Cade H was wrestling at Higher calling for you, but Knox didn't set that foundation but he has built from that foundation that was built and set. I know you aren't going to agree with me or many others for that, but I was around a long time ago when Cleveland was pretty good, not all that good and than built into what they are now after being in the backseat to Bradley for a very long time and to a point even Soddy. Higher calling has built that foundation and you are as much a part of that success as Knox is. Also, I took in quite a few HC practices this season with a beginner wrestler and not once did I see Knox help him during any of the practices or during a tournament. He might have been there but he was with the higher caliber wrestlers that are going to be foundation for the next few years of dominance.