Why was DII formed?

Antwan

It seems as though there has not been a great meeting of the minds since I have last checked. I'm sure you guys have talked about it before, but I saw where Pulaski Arkansas Circuit Court has received an injunction request from a private school asking that their multiplier go back to 1.5, it was in the Commercial Appeal...I hope everyone is doing fine.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the regular football board someone from Silverdale, seems to be a player, said they will have 10 transfers in and new this year. Ten. That's a good enough reason by itself for a total split.

1. If the post is from a player, it is probably just bravado.

2. 999 times out of 1000, these claims are false.

2. If you have something that should be investigated, contact the TSSAA.

If student/athletes and their families select to transfer from public schools to a private school the public schools need to ask one question and that is why. Why are students leaving our school and going to the private schools? The private schools may or may not be better but the students and their families must feel like they will be in a better place.

IMO, the inner city public schools are fine for the top 5% of the students and the lower 10% (special ed. and learning disabled) but they do not help the so called "middle of the road" student and often times keep those students from reaching their potential.

Edited by cbg

Seven of the eight players in Chattanooga with public 1-A or 1-AA offers are from private schools. More of the same (from McCallie, Temple, Baylor, Notre Dame, one from Brainerd). I would say Boyd-Buchanan's running back would have had them too, if not for two ACL tears, and he may still get them. That leaves the startups as the only private schools teams in Chattanooga with no senior Division I college talent. Do you think all the public schools there can say that? This has nothing to do with graduation rates.

Indian, are you saying that 7 of 8 players in the area who went DI or I-aa are from the non-aid privates? I thought we were discussing the schools that played against the publics currently? I think that means that there were 4 total. We sent a kicker to UTC, Temple, Notre Dame and Brainerd. But you can't look at just one year. You have to look at a long enough period to be significant...say 10 years.

Again, Graduation rates and grades do affect athletic scholarships...you have to graduate to go to college...and you have to be able to make a high enough ACT score to qualify...I think we can all think of multiple players who didn't do one or the other from many area schools... remember, what we are talking about is high school talent, so if we are gonna use college scholarships to compare we need to factor in all those athletes who were talented enough but didn't go to college.

you should expect a school that is only 2-3 years old to get tranfers. I agree it is not illegal unless the coaches are contacting players.

Public schools get transfers too.

I agree. Silverdale is a new school in a growing part of town with a new Football program...and no one has verified the 10 number anyway. On another thread I saw someone say Temple had 5 or 6 transfers when they actually have 1 whose parents moved into town and are Alumns.

Indian, are you saying that 7 of 8 players in the area who went DI or I-aa are from the non-aid privates? I thought we were discussing the schools that played against the publics currently? I think that means that there were 4 total. We sent a kicker to UTC, Temple, Notre Dame and Brainerd. But you can't look at just one year. You have to look at a long enough period to be significant...say 10 years.

Again, Graduation rates and grades do affect athletic scholarships...you have to graduate to go to college...and you have to be able to make a high enough ACT score to qualify...I think we can all think of multiple players who didn't do one or the other from many area schools... remember, what we are talking about is high school talent, so if we are gonna use college scholarships to compare we need to factor in all those athletes who were talented enough but didn't go to college.

Current seniors. You're talking about 6 or 7 private schools in the area, and around 30-35 public schools, and it's still that lopsided. I'm talking about offers, not scholarships. Baylor and McCallie are included because they're TSSAA schools, and some want an end to Division II. It might happen anyway. Unless students are specifically going there for sports, scholarships shouldn't matter, but Baylor has or will have around 10 Division I signings this past February and next.

• 2 weeks later...

Privates were 12-3 against publics in week 0 if looked at it right, wow that's new.

I think one aspect that people overlook this that premier programs such Riverdale, Aloca and Maryville usually don't play private schools. There are exceptions. To compare apples to apples, you can look at regional matchups in 1A, 2A and 3A. I will bet that the ratio is much lower than 4 to 1 in favor of the private schools.

It is really quite simple. If you recruit players from around the country you can't expect to play teams that have to follow the rules. For those who say they aren't recruiting, you are either, lying, misinformed or just plain naive. I don't want any kid who has been fortunate enough to get a "scholarship" from a private school to get in trouble or anything. It isn't their fault and I doubt any parent whose son was given that opportunity would turn it down for any reason. With that being said, I have talked to kids that have told me they couldn't be going there without help and that they were "recruited" to play sports. sometimes more than one. These kids are intelligent kids too, or these schools wouldn't want them. They are smart enough not to tell just anybody about their deal. I would never want to hurt these boys as they are great kids, but, the fact remains that these schools do recruit players. That's fine, if you play other schools like yours, but when you play schools that have to follow normal TSSAA rules it just isn't fair. That is the reason for the split and it is a very justified one.