William Blount at Dobyns Bennett

TG24

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4th and 6 for DB at the WB 46 with 2 minutes left and WB up by 3. That infamous 3. The margin in which WB led with under 1 minute in a loss at Ooltewah. The margin in which WB led with under a minute in another loss at Farragut. The margin in which WB led with under a minute in a loss against McMinn County. So, we are all thinking, here we go. Can the Govs make the stop on 4th and 6. (Not to mention in the first round against Sev County last year when Sev Co converted on 3 4th downs on their final drive to win on the last play of the game.) Of course, DB completes a long pass that was hauled down at the 5 yard line. Surely not again. But this time things were different. You had a feeling that once it got to the FG attempt, he might just miss it. Furthermore, this is the one time I felt WB would have won in overtime. DB was moving it all night until they got in the RED Zone. Then they stalled every time. I think that the inability for WB to close games out was overshadowed by the question marks in DB's mind about winning in the playoffs. I don't think DB plays very confident in the playoffs. They have now lost in the 1st round as a 1 seed 3 times in the last 6 years. That was in their mind more than WB's last minute collapses was in WB's head. I do feel for the kicker Alley. That will probably be the last kick he ever attempts and it will be tough for him to get over it. Nevertheless, WB advances to play at Farragut. What a game that was last time these 2 met.

FBE,

I'm almost too tired to write, but can't help myself ... I'll go easy on you, anyone with any sense--espcially on paper--would have had to pick DB in this one going in. In my heart, I did expect a close game, but even I felt like it was probably "too tall an order" to expect the Gov's to go up to "the Ted" ;) and pull out a win.

But this team had been so close so many times this year ... finally, the breaks fell their way. I'm real proud of them and real happy for Scott and his staff. Some observations:

*DB's qb and receivers were real "special" . The qb has a rifle.

*After WB's first offensive series, I was thinking, "oh crap." DB just shut them down. But credit Coach Meadows for adjusting something?? and Coach Emert for firing up his line. Putting Darren and TJ (Walkers) in the backfield together is a handful for any team. At one point in time, he had the two Walkers and Cole Lail in the backfield (similar set to Maryville's famous rhino).

*WB qb Tyler Burstrom is a difference maker. No, we didn't pass much at all tonight, but he tucked it and ran for several big first downs. Mohammad Baskin also cut it up and picked up several good gains, plus he had two impressive kick off returns.

*Blounts special teams "won the war." Koehlo goes 2-2 on field goals and Whithead punted well and as I said, Baskin and kick-off return team gave us good field position on returns.

*Just a great win for the entire WB family. I feel for the DB boys, tough loss ... but WB deserved this one tonight. Yes, based on rankings, etc. it was an upset, but it was no fluke, the Govs are capable of playing some good football.

*DB is an AWESOME place to go play football. The stadium packed out, the incredible DB band, super supportive and classy fans. It's sometimes harder for the DB's and OR's and Maryvilles of the world to understand because of the year in/year out success of their programs, but at WB we can still count these types of wins on one hand and trust me , the two wins over DB both rank at the top of our top wins of all time.

*Great defensive effort by WB ... absolutely great. Kind of the "bend but not break" strategy. We struggled at times against the pass, but we were definitely playing against the second best passing offense we've seen all year (behind Maryville). Hate to single out anybody, their were several standouts, but Cole Lail is one of those athletes that you just see come along every now and then. He'll be playing somewhere big on Saturdays in a few more years, but thank goodness for a couple more years he'll be playing for us on Friday nights .

*I'm excited about coming back over to Farragut. It will be a tall order against a very good and dangerous team, but it would be hard for me to classify either team an "underdog" in this one. Could go either way.

*FBE, just in case we could be on to something :) , would you consider picking against us again?

Gov-Man congrats to you and tha Govs.

This has to be almost as sweet as watching the "Heart of a Champion" segment this past Thursday on Mark Packer's High School Heroes. Thankfully, she takes after her mother. :)

Sounds like the same story just a different year. What happened? Did WB outplay DB or did DB suffer the tough breaks?

236shhhh-thumb.jpg

If WB wouldnt have fumbled those three times then i think that it would have been a one sided game. But DB fought hard and they stayed in it. DB's D helped them with that they played a hard game but the outcome was not what they had hoped. Congratz to WB on the win i cant wait to go to see the Ads again. Maybe this time it wont be so close.

huge shocker. Congrat to WB!

Perhaps it was a shock to some but after last week's game against the Science Hillbillies, and other close calls, I knew this game was going to be tough with WB. I also knew that this DB team was not state championship matterial. My personal opinion is that a lot of DB fans on this board are just too biased with their opinions of the team and thus the dumb predictions. When the truth is clear they stick their heads in a hole and criticize people like me who see the truth and state it and then call us non-supportive of the team. Truth is truth. This board is not about saying things to build the team up and what you did was a disservice to them. In fact the coaches should ban their players from this board.

I agree with an earlier poster. DB has got to change it's schedule. It should dump schools like Elizabethton, TN High, Sullivan North (we did play them a couple of years recently) and fill those gaps with Maryville, Ooltewah, WB caliber teams. We should also lobby TSSAA to move Campbell county to Region 2 - they should not have been Reg 1 to start with. Frankly it would improve region 1 greatly if Maryville would move to Region 1 5A and would make the situation worse if they move to Region 2 5A. We will NEVER again do well in playoffs until they make this happen. And what ever happened to playing a top ranked private school like we did MBA for a couple of years? If the AD can't come up with a better schedule, fire him!

If the Dobyns Bennett band can get serious about doing better at a regional level like they did this year and beat the Nashville bands - something that nobody from East Tennessee has ever done before (and the best DB could do in the recent past was 5th place, surely somebody can figure out what is wrong with the football situation. Way to to band - Good to Great! (that's for all you posters who really need to know what good to great means). As a famous poster once said, that's all I'm goina say on this thread. No looking back, but I mean it.

Perhaps it was a shock to some but after last week's game against the Science Hillbillies, and other close calls, I knew this game was going to be tough with WB. I also knew that this DB team was not state championship matterial. My personal opinion is that a lot of DB fans on this board are just too biased with their opinions of the team and thus the dumb predictions. When the truth is clear they stick their heads in a hole and criticize people like me who see the truth and state it and then call us non-supportive of the team. Truth is truth. This board is not about saying things to build the team up and what you did was a disservice to them. In fact the coaches should ban their players from this board

If the Dobyns Bennett band can get serious about doing better at a regional level like they did this year and beat the Nashville bands - something that nobody from East Tennessee has ever done before (and the best DB could do in the recent past was 5th place, surely somebody can figure out what is wrong with the football situation. Way to to band - Good to Great! (that's for all you posters who really need to know what good to great means). As a famous poster once said, that's all I'm goina say on this thread. No looking back, but I mean it.

good post. and props to the band. at least there is a bit of rational thought in ktown, dbgrad70

My personal opinion is that a lot of DB fans on this board are just too biased with their opinions of the team and thus the dumb predictions. When the truth is clear they stick their heads in a hole and criticize people like me who see the truth and state it and then call us non-supportive of the team. Truth is truth. This board is not about saying things to build the team up and what you did was a disservice to them. In fact the coaches should ban their players from this board.

A smart DB fan? Who knew? Take notes Waco ;)

I think I have a solution for the TRIBE. Install some more marble and jacuzzi's in the new field house or better yet build a 10 million dollar indoor practice facility. That should at least get the tribe a game or two into the playoffs.

Oh Well, Same ole song in Kingsport.

Note to fans:: Do not believe those AP polls.

Better luck in basketball!!!