Indian nicknames could be history in TN

ORidgeKat

There is likely room for compromise on this issue. The term 'redskins' is probably over the line and at Riverdale, using the 'Reservation' maybe should be modified. For the most part I agree with everyone else...it's really an honor that is being bestowed and it should be taken that way. Many, including myself, have Native American vblood in our bloodlines and see absolutely nothing wrong with the use of the Indian theme when done respectfully.

I do think that Riverdale's "Chief Win'em all" looks too friendly and should be 'meaned up' a little.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First it was the Confederate Battle Flags and now it is the Indians. Next thing would be how we degrade animals by using them as mascots.

I wonder it the PC crowd would be offended by calling a team the PC Soccormoms, or some similar nonsense.

I further wonder if the other side has any suggestions as to what they would find that is NOT offensive to somebody! Those I would LOVE to hear.

Maybe it is time we put the monkey on their back to suggest what we should call teams. While they are at it they could come up with some cheers that they find acceptable.

Can we all tell I am fed up with EVERYTHING PC nowadays?

I guess we should resort to some form of compensation. I mean whoevers heritage is being used should be franchised. Including their food, music, speech, dress, inventions...etc. Lets see...pizza came from Italy...spaghetti came from China, the telephone came from Italy, wine came from Abraham, horses from Arabia, LSD from the USA, rap from the dead poets society, rednecks from Italy (I bet you didn't know that one did ya), and sex...yeah where did sex come from?! Anyway, it sounds like a good job for Donald Trump. Sound absurd? Only in comparison to other absurdities.

QUOTE(ORidgeKat @ Jan 23 2007 - 01:21 PM) 826342447[/snapback]

I am 1/2 Cherokee Indian and it does not bother me. However, I could see where RedSkins could bother some, just because it used to be a slur. But I agree, naming a team Braves or Warriors is an honor to me.

That was the only nickname I thought of that struck me as offensive, and I certainly see where the issue is with that one. Someone else mentioned that Tennessee didn't have any teams with that name. Here in Ft. Lauderdale, a high school with that name did just recently change their nickname from Redskins.

QUOTE(KWoodroof @ Jan 23 2007 - 08:53 PM) 826342947[/snapback]

That was the only nickname I thought of that struck me as offensive, and I certainly see where the issue is with that one. Someone else mentioned that Tennessee didn't have any teams with that name. Here in Ft. Lauderdale, a high school with that name did just recently change their nickname from Redskins.

John Sevier Warriors, Ross & Robinson Redskins...both feeder middle schools to Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett Indians.

QUOTE(compusatman @ Jan 23 2007 - 08:36 PM) 826342982[/snapback]

John Sevier Warriors, Ross & Robinson Redskins...both feeder middle schools to Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett Indians.

Sequoyah Highschool located in MonroeCo just 15 mile from the birthplace of the great chief. The school is name in his honor, what should they be? "The Alphabets"

QUOTE(V IS 4 VICTORY @ Jan 23 2007 - 09:01 PM) 826343016[/snapback]

Sequoyah Highschool located in MonroeCo just 15 mile from the birthplace of the great chief. The school is name in his honor, what should they be? "The Alphabets"

To do the right thing, you should rename the town, county, school, etc... I think there's also a tree somewhere that needs to be renamed.

let me start by saying i am not one for political correctness but i TRY to see the other sides view i TRY to be understanding however i dont see how in any way that being named the WARRIORS SEMINOLES or other names like that can be offensive or degrading why would i name my school mascot and not have it be somthing that is maybe fearful or a little intimidating (still dont get the siegel Stars ya know) when 2 sports are playing each other they are not going out there to be nice they are going to do what they can to win the game and they are going to battle so to call yourself a WARRIOR or a SEMINOLE is the ultimate respect for the natvie americans and i am not just saying that because i am a RIVERDALE AND A FLORIDA STATE FAN EITHER

there was a lady quoted in the paper talking about how it offended her i would love tosit down with her and ask her in what way is this degrading so that could understand her side i may not agree with her but at least understand

GO WARRIORS AND GO NOLES

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Jan 24 2007 - 12:17 AM) 826343469[/snapback]

let me start by saying i am not one for political correctness but i TRY to see the other sides view i TRY to be understanding however i dont see how in any way that being named the WARRIORS SEMINOLES or other names like that can be offensive or degrading why would i name my school mascot and not have it be somthing that is maybe fearful or a little intimidating (still dont get the siegel Stars ya know) when 2 sports are playing each other they are not going out there to be nice they are going to do what they can to win the game and they are going to battle so to call yourself a WARRIOR or a SEMINOLE is the ultimate respect for the natvie americans and i am not just saying that because i am a RIVERDALE AND A FLORIDA STATE FAN EITHER

there was a lady quoted in the paper talking about how it offended her i would love tosit down with her and ask her in what way is this degrading so that could understand her side i may not agree with her but at least understand

GO WARRIORS AND GO NOLES

How about the Riverdale Palefaces, the Indians considered them warriors and so did Tonto.

http://www.jokes2go.com/jokes/3084.html?32

QUOTE(FadePattern @ Jan 23 2007 - 12:21 PM) 826342446[/snapback]

The questions is what will "bigchief" change his name to after CoachT bans Native American based screen names?

I guess I would have to change it completely since I would be offending both Indians AND fat (excuse me, weight challenged) people.