Temple in Trouble?

OLD PIRATE

I believe the handbook says that the tuition must be paid by the parents.

The spirit of the rule is so that school A cannot hire a parttime coach to coach tiddly winks so that their stud football player can play at the school for free.

It is a technical issue. As many people have said... there should have been a check cut for skogen and then he paid his tuition. It is not a big issue but it IS a violation.

If a student is late more than 60 days on a bill, he is not eligible to play so yes, they due intrude on school policy.

You have to know the rules. I am not an AD nor a coach and I don't know all the rules but if I was, I would make sure I knew them and followed them.

That is an excellent post. There should have been a paper trail in order to have proof as someone else has also said. Whether the TSSAA requires a paper trail or not, wisdom dictates the necessity of it for times like these. The reason we buy life insurance is not because we are dead it is because we know it could happen and we want to be prepared for it.

Also, another observation I had not considered was the issue of taxes. If the school understood that they were paying Skogen then there should have been a 1099(?) issued since it was valued greater than $500. Of course the year is not over yet, and technically, the school does not have to issue Skogen anything at least as far as basketball coaching is concerned unti January 2008.

I wholeheartedly agree that if I was an AD, Administrater, or a high school coach I would make it my business to be an expert on whatever rules I am supposed to play by. Games are won and lost by knowing the rules better than the other team's coach. All this tragedy has come upon our heads because of something so simple as picking up a handbook and reading it or even worse, making a quick phone call to ask a simple question. It is not better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another angle to look at when analyzing the tuition question. If Coach Skogen was going to receive $7,000 or $8,000 dollars for coaching football and basketball, would this amount be what is custumary and usual for what someone at a similiar school with a similiar student body and similiar pay scale also be getting paid. It might be that amount would sound right in a large public school but what about at Boyd, Grace, etc. From what I have heard, Temple doesn't pay much and this figure could be looked at.

Good point. Tuition for 2 kids = 4690 x 2 = $9380. Doesn't really sound out of line especially for 2 sports but I really don't know what any other schools pay coaches

Some of us aren't ready to say our school is run by cheaters yet, but we know they've made some careless mistakes.

Maybe I am just being pessimistic, but I am not going to be nieve enough to think that this many things can go on and just chuck it up to carelessness. If it was one issue MAYBE. But all the stuff together there is no way some people (if not all) did not know what they were doing.

That is an excellent post. There should have been a paper trail in order to have proof as someone else has also said. Whether the TSSAA requires a paper trail or not, wisdom dictates the necessity of it for times like these. The reason we buy life insurance is not because we are dead it is because we know it could happen and we want to be prepared for it.

Also, another observation I had not considered was the issue of taxes. If the school understood that they were paying Skogen then there should have been a 1099(?) issued since it was valued greater than $500. Of course the year is not over yet, and technically, the school does not have to issue Skogen anything at least as far as basketball coaching is concerned unti January 2008.

I wholeheartedly agree that if I was an AD, Administrater, or a high school coach I would make it my business to be an expert on whatever rules I am supposed to play by. Games are won and lost by knowing the rules better than the other team's coach. All this tragedy has come upon our heads because of something so simple as picking up a handbook and reading it or even worse, making a quick phone call to ask a simple question. It is not better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

The first step in getting over denial is to admit you were in it and you are showing signs.

3. Any loan program, grant program, educational foundation or similar program that is established

and/or administered, in whole or in part, by a school or official of a school is considered financial

aid.

Schools shall remove any student from athletic eligibility whose accounts with the school are 60 days

overdue.

All records pertaining to financial aid or tuition assistance shall be open to TSSAA upon its request.

Each school shall be responsible for securing necessary authorization to allow TSSAA to review or

audit such records.

If the Chastain or Skogen tuition was over 60 days without being paid then they were ineligible. This means if any of these kids played then penalties will be assessed. It does not look negotiable or up to interpretation. Since it seems that lack of institutional control will be a major theme in the "prosecution" of the violations, I think that football, basketball, and possibly all teams will see a post season ban for multiple years in addition to fines, forfeitures, loss of titles, etc.

I do not really want to argue with you over the 60 days but the way I read it, and I may be misreading it, the 60 days refers to the repayment of a loan in a program establishe or adminstered by the school. It does not address the issue of whether their tuition went unpaid or when it is due. Also, Temple did not have a loan program they had more of a layaway program which may be considered the same thing. It is 60 days late past whenever the school determined the due date was. Does not apply to Skogen at all. When did Chastain receive his bill and what was the due date listed on the bill? Chastain should have made arrangements about his school bill before school even started because everyone who pays monthly payments at Temple knows that the first payment for the current school year is due on August 10th. So, by October 10th, he was 60 days late? Are we to believe that if we attend Temple and pay on the ten month plan that we would receive only one bill? No, Temple parents who pay on the pay plan receive a bill every single month that lists what they have paid thus far, any new charges, and a balance due. Scott should have received many bills listing what he owed and how far he was behind. If he received only one bill and that later on in the season, then he had every reason to believe that his son's tuition was being taking care of and to mad about receiving a bill. Dr. Pearson is going to have a hard time making this one go away, I am afraid.

I think it is time for less smooth talk from the leadership and a little more humiliating honesty. We want the truth. We can "handle the truth. (A Few Good Men)"

Word for Today:

Numbers 32:23 "But if you do not do so, then take note, you have sinned against the Lord; and be sure your sin will find you out. "

2 Samuel 12:13 "So David said to Nathan,"I have sinned against the Lord." And Nathan said to David, "The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die."

Isaiah 1:18 "Come now, and let us reason together," Says the Lord, "Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool."

The article said that Kevin asked to be paid the amount of his kids tuition. He did not receive a check or a bill, so he, apparently, assumed that the check he was to have received for his services was applied to his bill.

So he assumed he got out of taxes on this money also? If they paid him the money it would have to have been taxed and then he would pay his bill. After Social security and income tax was deducted. A tax evasion issue here also. You cant swap out salaries without paying tax. Surely we all know that. If this in fact occured Temple has tax issues to consider also. Are they going to pay his FICA and SS on this amount in Kevins name? Seems they dont know any laws or rules. How have they stayed in business this long?

I would hope every school has a system of paying tuition. (due at the end of the month, every other month or whatever) If they don't some people would not keep up with their payments.

If it is due Sept 1 and it is not paid by November 1, the student-athlete becomes ineligible. The business office is supposed to inform the AD that the student is not eligible to play until it is paid. I know for a fact that at least some private schools do this. (they all should because it is the rule)

This is what should have happened. I truly believe that this is just a matter of communication in the Temple case.

Regardless of what it is... it is a violation. Just like what happened to the USJ baseball team.

Getting paid 10-15,000 for a varsity head basketball coach is a little much. (assuming that is in the range of what the Skogens would be paying for tuition) Thats why they have the rules so that they can keep schools from stretching beyond what is reasonable.

There is no argument about the 60 days overdue. This is a rule that is in place to keep a student from say playing football (no pun intended) and then when the season is over leave without ever having paid his bill. Without this rule a school (again no pun intended) could allow a player to play all year and then not ever pay for his private school education, essentially going for FREE! Call the TSSAA. They will tell you that any student in a private school whose bill is over 60 days unpaid will be ineligible. Paying at the end of the year is not an option form them.

I do not really want to argue with you over the 60 days but the way I read it, and I may be misreading it, the 60 days refers to the repayment of a loan in a program establishe or adminstered by the school. It does not address the issue of whether their tuition went unpaid or when it is due.

It says "accounts with the school". That would include monthly tuition payment plans. Just because it is right below item 3 on loans it actually applies to all of section 16. Look at it again. Think of it this way, if you don't pay your car payment for 60 days, they come and take it back. If you don't pay tuition for 60 days the TSSAA takes back athletic eligibility. It is really very clear.

Here is one thing I have been wandering.

Skogen mentioned he knew there were issues with chastain. Why did he keep him on the football staff? Did he not have the right to say we don't do things like that so you can't be on our staff.

Does the coach not decide who is on their staff, or is it different at Temple?