Oak Ridge vs. Maryville

boyfromsi

As DCCATVOICE said before, we believe the '43 game must have been a JV game for Maryville as it was our first year of football and we played shortened and hurried 4 game schedule during the war effort. The fences were around the city at that time. Every man woman and child had an ID badge, It must have been very interesting for a visiting team to come through the gates with armed guards for a football game. I understand they were very strict at those check points for anyone entering or exiting the city.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as parking... There is plenty of on street parking in the neighborhood south of the stadium. The on street spaces are marked. If it is not marked don't park there. You can also park at Sam Houston elementary school and just walk up Melrose. Just a note there are 4 gates open this year. Home (long lines) and visitors (usually a medium line) on Cedar Street. There is one on Broadway (long lines) and the one behind the gym (no lines). If it is super crowded like an Alcoa Game you could always park for free at the rear of the Municipal Building and walk across 321 (LA Parkway) I'd cross at a light though. Be careful parking at businesses on Broadway. :popcorneater:

I thought there already was a saying about the roads around Maryville?

All Roads to the State game have to go through Murville! I like it!

I am not familiar with the area, is there a way to get to Maryville without going through Alcoa?

I can't belive I'm answering you, but... Back before the Pellissippi Parkway extension over the Tennessee River we would take 321 through Friendsville and Lenoir City and then Hwy 95 into the Ridge...

If I was you I would take the Oak Ridge Highway to Western Avenue then get on Henley Street and go south till it turns into Chapman Highway. Stay on Chapman Highway till you get to US 411. Take a right onto 411. This will take you right by the stadium.

I thought there already was a saying about the roads around Maryville?

All Roads to the State game have to go through Murville! I like it!

I am not familiar with the area, is there a way to get to Maryville without going through Alcoa?

I can't belive I'm answering you, but... Back before the Pellissippi Parkway extension over the Tennessee River we would take 321 through Friendsville and Lenoir City and then Hwy 95 into the Ridge...

If I was you I would take the Oak Ridge Highway to Western Avenue then get on Henley Street and go south till it turns into Chapman Highway. Stay on Chapman Highway till you get to US 411. Take a right onto 411. This will take you right by the stadium.

..........better yet........braindeadrunner.........just go straight! :popcorneater:

sign.jpg

40 percent chance of scattered pop up thunderstorms for tommorrow afternoon and evening. I hope it doesn't thunder and lightning, those 30 minute delays can really disrupt the flow of a game. I think this game comes down whether OR can move the ball on the ground or not. If so they can make a game out of it. Their passing game is decent, but we haven't done well against a really solid well coached secondary yet. We'll have to keep the chains and the clock moving to have chance to win.